Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Was Your Ah-Ha (Or Oh Crap) Moment?

I was just feeling bad all the time--nothing major, just really tired, out of breath when walking up inclines (sometimes having to stop and catch my breath before walking into my office), couldn't bend over to do anything without losing my breath. My PCP had recommended surgery for me a few years before and I just didn't want to do it at my age (over 55). But a year ago I decided I had to do something. Got through my 6-month-long approval process and had the surgery in July 2013, had lost around 80 pounds by November (still need to lose another 40), and still most of the problems no better. I kept telling my surgeon I was disappointed that I didn't have the energy rush so many people experience and he gave me B-12 shots (believe I started those in August) with no improvement. Turned out I had to get a Pacemaker!! Since I got that in mid-December I'm beginning to get my energy back!

I told my heart surgeon I probably wouldn't have had the gastric surgery if I knew what I really needed was a Pacemaker, but he said I had a much better outcome with my heart surgery because of having the weight loss. I'm 6 weeks out from the Pacemaker and finally beginning to not feel so tired, so I guess between the two surgeries I've found my answer!

Edited by Alajane

All the dieting to look better had failed.... then the health started going down... and the weight going up above my "NEVER will get over this" mark.... I started seeing WLS as a health measure, not a beauty measure... this got me going in the right direction.

Oh, I so identify you [Feedyoureye] about setting mental weight levels for "Never going over this weight".

How many times have I said "I'm never going over 200 pounds / 90kg" and then gone over it, and then some. The list it and said "Never again". But somehow the next conversation I having with myself is "I'm never going over 220 pounds / 100kg".

For me this one if the key moments behind my decision to have surgery (first time band, nice waiting for a date for a sleeve).

The thing that scares me most is wondering where it will ever stop? Probably when I have type 2 diabetes and I'm almost dead.

So, enough is enough. I hate the feeling if failure if yet again hitting a higher weight. I truly hope sleeve surgery can give be the tool to get back to a healthy weight again.

I don't allow pictures. My friend took one of me secretly to show on her phone when I called. Funny thing is, it's still on there and she makes me call her just so she can show people the difference between then and now. I love it, serves as a reminder of how far I've come.

I love this question, and the replies!

My aha moment is realizing I just couldn't do it on my own! I've tried most diets, and as an act of desperation even supplements that are risky. I couldn't exercise, although I tried countless times! I even did Pilates, and torn a tendon. Later I developed a bone spur on 2 locations on my foot, even had surgery on it twice.

The shortness of breaths, has always scared me with series of what ifs? I feared having a heart attack in my 30s.

I did not seriously consider wls until seeing commercials for it last summer. Initially it was a fleeting thought, then a what if I did do this? After discussing with my husband I made the appointment. Fast forward 6 months I am a week shy of surgery. I'm nervous, but it's something I've prayed about and feel is a good option for my health, and the well-being of my family.

I was originally approved for RNY. I chickened out at the last minute, and convinced myself I could get healthy on my own. I gave it a good, good fight and kept about 50 pounds off for a year. Then the clothes started getting tighter again. I was miserable, my self esteem was in the gutter, and my self-talk of disgust was something no one should do to themselves. I literally thought about food my whole waking day (what I ate, what I didn't eat, what I was going to eat, what I couldn't eat). It was vicious, when I think about it now.

I walked into my appt with the band doctor, not at my highest weight ever, but at my lowest emotional state ever. I explained that I was just so tired of dieting, and even though I was not at my highest weight ever (which was no where near where I felt my 'potential' weight could have been if I really let go), I was exhausted trying to hold back from gaining.

He said he could probably help. And he did.

Thank God.