Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Honest Answers Only!

Sabredy, I'm another one who barely clocked in at 40. I had a 5 day clear liquid pre-op, and I cheated. By cheated I mean I took a dose of Tylenol Migraine the day the big headache kicked in. (Day 2, I think.) But otherwise not.

I don't know why I felt/feel so strongly about not cheating beforehand. I guess it's because the only person I would have been cheating was myself. And like many, I had to fight to get this surgery and wanted to start as I meant to go on.

I think many on these forums push the limits and use any excuse to do so. If you get called on it it's because someone recognizes themselves and their thinking in your comments. We probably all have "fat brain" - which in my case can range from "I'm not THAT fat" to "One sliver doesn't matter" to god knows what else.

What has always helped me is to think seriously about this. This is not a diet; it's a major medical procedure. So if I had a doctor operating on my intestines and it was potentially life-threatening, and it was crucial that I have Clear liquids only…I would probably want to have a good outcome and do whatever I was asked to do. We think we know so much about our stomachs. We know what makes us feel slightly sick, and if it's something we want we justify, justify, justify. Somehow it is not easy to believe in our heads that this is a major procedure. And if you're lucky enough and you are in excellent health (as I was as well) you might just bounce back quickly and feel you are special and can push the limits.

And yet, we're talking about stitches, about major physiological changes, and about changing habits you have had for a lifetime. On the darker side, the potential for leaks, for liver damage…it's sobering.

Is it a big deal to cheat? Oh, hell…who knows? But I think so. I didn't want to take the chance, at all. And sticking to my 5 day pre-op actually gave me a great deal of confidence.

I know you asked others, but my statistics are noted below. Quickly, though:

HW 238
SW 234

CW 204

Surgery was 10/24, and I'm 5'5".

Laura-ven you are spot on!!!

My surgeon would not have done surgery on anyone who did the two week diet and gained weight. I had a total South Beach diet for 2 weeks prior. All the meat I wanted with less than 40 carbs a day. I love meat and I lost weight eating steaks and pork chops, chicken and fish. In fact he took pictures of my surgery and put a gold star on my liver!! Surgery is a weight loss tool. Not a 100% guarantee! You can have 3/4ths of your stomach gone and gain weight by what foods you put in your mouth. Be smart....quit thinking of what you "can't have" and think of what you get to have!!!

If you can't do a pre-op diet you may not be emotionally ready for surgery. Post-op, attempting to cheat could kill you. It really is life or death. If you aren't ready for surgery don't have it yet. Wait a while.

I agree with mistysj!

Ok maybe I'll be spit in cause I have not actually been there yet but Jeeze, cut the girl a break! Lol!!! You don't need mental help or all kinds of therapy! Your HUMAN!

You know why you should not cheat and you know the risks. If your doctor says to do something, it is because he is a trained Medical professional who has your best interest at hand. Just do your absolute best and try to stick to it and pray to the liver gods that bastard is ready for show time!

I am just wondering if there is anyone out there that didn't stick to their pre-op diet and if so what was the outcome??

I don't' recall right now who it was, but just the other day here someone posted that they're surgery had to get postponed because they did not follow their pre-op and did not lose what was required. If I find the post, I'll edit and include it.

I realize that you don't have a specific amount to lose pre op, but why risk it?

I fully agree with so many of the posters above, don't cheat yourself, don't' risk it, do everything you can to get a good outcome. There are so many factors we cannot control, control the ones you can.

Above all, taking medical advise from folks on a forum doesn't sound like a great option, trust your surgeon and do what they tell you. You will always find folks who either didn't have a pre-op or cheated on theirs, and that was their choice to make. The reality is you were assigned a pre-op. You can do it.

OK, so you cheated. It is what it is - you can't change it.

A couple of things you will find you will need for this surgery - both pre-op and post-op - is commitment and discipline. The pre-op diet sucks, but you must be committed to it. It prepares you for this major surgery you're about to have. The post-op diet it tough - from the first few days where you're trying to figure out how to get in your Water and Protein, to the subsequent weeks where you're introducing food and trying to figure that out.

Your doctor has a pre-op diet for a reason. He/she has a post-op diet for a reason. Please, for your own good health, stick to the plan they prescribe.

I send you much love and good wishes for success. Be good to yourself.

Honestly for like 3 days I felt so weak and faint so i began to eat dinner each night like bake fish or a salad. Salad was actually allowed so I didn't cheat much but looking back I realize that was risky. My doctor thanked me after for doing so well my liver was quote "beautiful" I did lose 11 pounds so all in all not bad. I don't recommend cheating though cause you never know

I think it might be helpful for the OP to hear from vets who cheated and those who didn't cheat on pre-op and compare that to long term success. Do people who significantly cheat on pre-op have a harder time and less weight loss than those who didn't cheat early on? A lot of people come on this forum to "get back on track" after their losses have stalled for months on end.

As others have said, the biggest issue after surgery is your brain. If you aren't mentally ready for this journey, it is probably best to delay until you get your head in order, just my opinion.

After surgery, it's hard, really hard. And having a smaller stomach is a great tool, but if you are set on cheating, it's really easy to do.

No one here wants anyone to fail, and it is so sad to hear from those who do. Sometimes we just need a little more time to make sure we can handle "life after sleeve." Like others have said, if you can't handle pre-op at this point, it doesn't bode well for future success. That doesn't mean you'll fail, it just might be an indicator that waiting another 6 months might be prudent. Best of luck.

Good luck with your pre-op and post-op. Remember, the only person who know if you cheat is you. Don't. You deserve better!

I did not cheat. My diet was 800 calories of shakes for two weeks. It was hard and I didn't feel great. It was during the holidays, and there was an abundance of my favorite foods everywhere. I baked Christmas Cookies. I never had one bite of anything. I only say this because I had never been able to be so disciplined before, and for the first time, I was! It gave me a new found confidence that I still remember and draw on a year later.

I needed to prove to myself that I could lose weight, that I had the determination to make a change, and that I have what it takes to be successful. This surgery doesn't do anything other than restrict the amount you can eat at one time. You still absorb every calorie you eat, and you can eat an awful lot of calories by grazing.

In the immediate post op phase, you will likely have a very restrictive diet. There are people on here asking the same questions all the time - what will happen if I cheat? My advice to you now, and to also to that question, is to just do yourself a favor and prove to yourself that you have what it takes to succeed. You CAN do this, but it is all up to YOU! That's actually a great thought - you are in control. You are not a victim of a bad metabolism, bad genes, etc (that's what I always told myself :) ).

This is a chance at a new life. For me, it's so much better than I could have even imagined. Dig your heels in and do it - I know you can!

did the best i could. made a huge effort. not perfect. it is not about the weight i lost but about the emotional and mental place i was at. in short, was i willing to do what it took for the surgery to work. note that fully 40% of sleevers do not reach a minimal success! i was determined not to be one of those.

that said, it is easier after the surgery but IMHO you have to give it your all, a full court press, including exercise. i read here how only after months of failure do some people decided that perhaps exercise will help. if you query vets they will tell you that the first 6 months is the honeymoon phase, where the weight comes off easily. that is when the exercise will accelerate your weight loss.

Ok maybe I'll be spit in cause I have not actually been there yet but Jeeze, cut the girl a break! Lol!!! You don't need mental help or all kinds of therapy! Your HUMAN! <br><br> You know why you should not cheat and you know the risks. If your doctor says to do something, it is because he is a trained Medical professional who has your best interest at hand. Just do your absolute best and try to stick to it and pray to the liver gods that bastard is ready for show time!

A self proclaimed food addict doesn't need therapy for her "inability" to control her eating?

I will also tell you that the post op was MUCH harder for me than the pre-op so get yourself ready. Cheating post op could kill you .

It's weeks of no food--depending on your doc's protocol. We had 3 weeks of liquids only afterwards. There's some pain and discomfort, you're learning to drink slowly, you're sick of Protein shakes but not allowed food---I was literally fantasizing about a grilled cheese sandwich for days. It's not easy. The pre-op discipline you learn will stand you in good stead.

This is the start of a wonderful new life for you. Maybe try to focus on positive outcomes, visualize a new future for yourself, and rather than focusing on food, focus on how good it will feel in just a few more weeks? There are a lot of before and after pics here and those always inspire me.