Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Considering Liposuction

I will be 6 months out on dec. 5th 2013 and have been doing good so far. I'm a slow loser but still do my part like watching what I eat, going to the gym, climbing the stairs etc. I am giving this all I got but my thunder thighs are just in the way and it bothers me. I love the results that I see on my body but once I look down on my thighs, disappointment sets in and I feel like I have not been doing anything at all. I'm thinking about having liposuction on my thighs and see if I can get beyond this depression. I have the kind of big fat thighs that when I put my legs together, my thighs bumps up on the inner side. I don't know how else to explain it but it's very annoying and ugly to look at. My mom is even willing to sponsor me though she's done a lot already. Should I wait or just do the liposuction? Highest weight-300, current weight-245(as of 3weeks ago), goal- 160.

Any type of cosmetic surgery is usually not recommended until 6 months after your weight stabilizes at the end of your weight loss. You're about a year and a half early. You might be trading a bad situation for a much worse and uglier one, with lots of loose skin draping over your (possibly lumpy) liposuctioned thighs. I would be surprised if any reputable plastic surgeon would even consider operating at this stage.Thigh skin is thin and fragile and you don't want to try multiple surgeries.

A far better alternative would be to invest your money in a trainer to help you work on toning your legs and also buying Spanx in various sizes as you shrink..

I would definitely wait until you hit goal weight for this.

Hitting my goal will take forever with this thigh in the way. Also, my family will be traveling out of the country in six months and I don't want my thighs to keep me from going with them. I also believe that I will have more confidence and motivation to continue with my goal once the thighs are reduced and I look like a normal person.

Hitting my goal will take forever with this thigh in the way. Also, my family will be traveling out of the country in six months and I don't want my thighs to keep me from going with them. I also believe that I will have more confidence and motivation to continue with my goal once the thighs are reduced and I look like a normal person.

Six months is a long time in the life of a sleeved person. You don't know what your body will have done by then. My butt, stomach and thighs were the biggest part of me. I thought they'd take forever to get thinner. In fact, that's where I lost the fastest.

I'd strongly advise you to be patient. You won't love your new body at every stage of weight loss because we all lose unevenly, we get jiggly, we look like "marshmallows on two toothpicks" to quote Marfar here--it takes a bit.

Definitely wait until you have reached and maintained your goal weight. Your body is going to change so many times before you reach goal. In addition remember when you take fat cell out of one area of your body your body will readjust and any weight gain will be in another part of your body (not that you will gain). Extra weight on the body is always better in the lower extremities than the middle. By the time you reach goal your thighs will be so much thinner and you will probably just want to get rid of the extra skin by then. :)

Echo what the others have said. Doing Lipo now is a terrible idea. I also think it's possible you are fixating on your thighs and they are likely not nearly as bad as you think. Why don't you post a pic of yourself now and get some feedback?

I too have thighs from hell. I u derating how you feel.. totally! But wait until you hit goal so the surgeon knows what to work with. I may have my outer thighs done but I'm waiting until I maintain a steady weight

You need to get to goal and then see how your body looks. Just because you need Lipo now does not mean you will need it later. You might need skin removed when you hit your goal because there might not be fat to remove.

post-179114-0-81466000-1385933527_thumb.jpg post-179114-0-49499800-1385933516_thumb.jpg post-179114-0-31199600-1385933490_thumb.jpg This is what I'm talking about. My thunder ugly looking thighs. By the way, I went from 300lbs to 245 and one would think that they would get smaller. They all look the same to me even though the 3rd picture was the most recent and the 1st picture was the week after surgery. Judge for yourself and tell me what you think.

I can see the frustration us are feeling, however, trying for a quick fix is not in the best interest of your body. We have put a lot of stress on our body by getting this surgery and our bodies are changing daily. Your thighs will slim down when your body is ready, be patient with the process.

I looked at the pictures. I too have "thunder thighs" that get in the way. I would wait until you reach your goal weight until liposuction. Turnthepage recommened using Spanx and I agree. They help hold everything in and make the thighs look slimmer and reduce the jiggly movement. I wish you the best on your journey. Good luck to you.

The third picture looks much smaller to me. I see a very noticable improvement from the first picture!

Also, I want to tell you as a person that has had liposuction ... it was seriously a very painful experience and recovery was sort of awful and takes a long time. Just wanting to point that out in case it's not something you had really thought about.

Keep up the good work and wait on surgery!! :) :) :)

So I can empathize with what you're saying but I too see a huge difference in the first and third pictures. They ARE going down, just not as fast as you want.

I will also guess--and I'm only guessing--that down the road, you may want plastic surgery for your thighs. If I were you, I'd save my money for the plastics. Even after lipo--which as woo woo points out is very painful--you will likely still want skin reduction. Lipo will take the fat out, but it won't do anything for the loose, hangy skin you will be left with.

If you look at the pics in the cosmetic surgery thread, you'll see that often even after they have lost all the fat their bodies still look like there's fat--when it's only skin. Butterthebean posted really good shots of his stomach.

It looks like he had fat, but he didn't, it was loose skin.

Same thing may be happening with your thighs too.

Be patient, it will work itself out slowly :)

You post as if you've already decided. I'm not sure what you're looking for in our opinions?

You post as if you've already decided. I'm not sure what you're looking for in our opinions?

The topic says "considering liposuction" and I have not made up my mind about doing anything just doing some research. I do value a lot of opinions from this site cos these are people that can relate to me and what I am going thru more than my family and friends can. I now think that I will wait and see what will happen in the next six months or so, then I will take it from there. Thanks all for your opinion, I truly appreciate them. I guess going from a size 24 to 20 in 5months puts me in a position to push my thighs to shrink too. Sleeved 6/5/13-my 38th birthday.