Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who Got Stuck For Thanksgiving?

I didn't get stuck on Thanksgiving, but Friday and Saturday were horrible. Everything I tried to eat got stuck. Today I'm sticking to liquids and mushies to try to settle things down.

I'm with you on this….. I never got stuck, but I can't help but feel that I stressed my "surgical system". I'm going to try & stick with liquids for a day or two. My husband has been on vacation this past week, so my food and eating is way off. When he is on vacation, he goes hog wild with eating, which makes it more difficult. Throw in the holiday…….yikes. I've been slipping and sliding all week long, and I need to get back in the LB saddle. I hate the way this feels…….like I'm losing control. Scares the crap out of me.

I'm with you on this….. I never got stuck, but I can't help but feel that I stressed my "surgical system". I'm going to try & stick with liquids for a day or two. My husband has been on vacation this past week, so my food and eating is way off. When he is on vacation, he goes hog wild with eating, which makes it more difficult. Throw in the holiday…….yikes. I've been slipping and sliding all week long, and I need to get back in the LB saddle. I hate the way this feels…….like I'm losing control. Scares the crap out of me.

I'm feeling the overfill today...ate quick oats, to church, grocery, ate some frozen yogurt, then a few chips then a1/2 bowl of Cereal then 2 eggs scrambled with chopped hotdog and cheese finally feeling satisfied. All went down okay but think I need my 1st fill. But won't eat again until dinner and maybe only a smoothie. Sounds too much huh?

Okay so I guess I'm dumb explain "stuck" how does this happen by eating too fast

Okay so I guess I'm dumb explain "stuck" how does this happen by eating too fast

For me stuck feels like the food is lodged in your throat like it's too big to go to your stomach and your esophogus is filled because you're not giving the food proper time or not chewing enough to let it pass down. Each bite has to be small enough chewed thoroughly like maybe 25x or more then swallowed then wait a minute or two between bites. Stuck is not fun. Mine puts pressure on the midway of my chest along the breast bone. Then I usually slime up the first couple bites and after I get rid of it I can eat again smaller bites and eating slowly enough to let the pass through. It happens about 1/3rd of the times. I am getting better though. Good luck I hope you don't get that stuck feeling.

I'm curious…… Do most really wait one full minute after they swallow the previous bite? I don't. I don't shovel the food in quickly; I take a small bite chew it well & swallow. I wait long enough to feel it go down, but it's certainly not a minute. A full minute between bites, means that I'll be eating cold food. As it is, my bowl of whatever has already cooled down dramatically by the time I get to the end of it.

I'm curious…… Do most really wait one full minute after they swallow the previous bite? I don't. I don't shovel the food in quickly; I take a small bite chew it well & swallow. I wait long enough to feel it go down, but it's certainly not a minute. A full minute between bites, means that I'll be eating cold food. As it is, my bowl of whatever has already cooled down dramatically by the time I get to the end of it.

Ditto for me. Some foods do struggle making it through the stoma however and I occasionally get stuck.

Ditto for me. Some foods do struggle making it through the stoma however and I occasionally get stuck.

Is stuck always painful, or is it sometimes a sense of food "pausing" before going all the way down? I don't think I've ever been stuck, but maybe I have? I always think of "stuck" as a painful event.

I don't follow any specific rule....what I have to do is control my eating to meet what the band dictates....if my band's feedback is to slow it down, then slow it down I will....other times, I can eat a little faster...all depends on the foods I guess, but in any event I have learned to "Listen" to my band and let it determine the parameters....my band is the Boss...not me....

I have drank shakes too fast and overfilled my pouch, and had it come right back up on me....even Water once or twice.....so even with liquids I have to pay attention to the feedback my band gives me with every swallow.....

And there are also times my band will tell me, after taking a swallow, that the food I'm eating is not good and I should stop right then, eat something else.....example would be overcooked, dry chicken....

If I have to wait a full minute in between, that's a sure sign the food I'm eating is definitley NOT band friendly...

I wouldn't describe it as pain. More like discomfort from the pressure on my esophagus. Like a soft golfball under my sternum for a few minutes. Stuck means that I have to stop eating "pause", and wait for the food to pass. I think for me, it's just an accumulation of food that builds up from eating too rapidly or from eating too big. I rarely ever get stuck from one single bite of food that I failed to chew or was too big.

I do recall this last fall one time where I nearly swallowed a cherry pit. That, would have been painful and would have meant a trip to the ER.

tmf

Getting Stuck.....first, IMO, this term is often over used....

Think of your kitchen sink...have a large anount of food go down the drain, too fast and too sudden, and what happens...it gets CLOGGED...cannot go anywhere...just sits there....

Will it go down eventually? Slowly? MAYBE

Do you need to get it unclooged? With a plunger? MAYBE

Will it allow other things, such as Water, to pass by it? NOT REALLY....it will only over flow onto the floor....

That is what getting stuck truley is...clogging up the plumbing, not allowing anything to get by....then the sliming begins...the bodys mechanism to get it unclogged...also hiccups....thay may be enough to get unclogged....

Sometimes the only way to get unclogged is to get it to come back up...(not really vomiting)....regurgitation....

I sip Water, overfilling the pouch...it WILL come back up having no where else to go...

Can it be painful? YOU BET!!! Can be EXTREMLEY painful especially if your dialting your pouch...and the effects from thr pain can linger for the rest of the day....

I never bought into the therory that drinking with meals will wash it down...the opposite effect happens to me if I try...so I CANNOT drink while eating, or else!!

I wouldn't describe it as pain. More like discomfort from the pressure on my esophagus. Like a soft golfball under my sternum for a few minutes. Stuck means that I have to stop eating "pause", and wait for the food to pass. I think for me, it's just an accumulation of food that builds up from eating too rapidly or from eating too big. I rarely ever get stuck from one single bite of food that I failed to chew or was too big.

I do recall this last fall one time where I nearly swallowed a cherry pit. That, would have been painful and would have meant a trip to the ER.

tmf

tmf - something as small as a cherry pit would get stuck? I'm trying to figure out where I am in the scheme of things. I can still swallow a Vitamin tablet without issue. Maybe I need a fill? I'm struggling to hear the band signals, as I did early on. But I've already got 7.5cc's in a 10cc band. I guess I should be glad that I haven't had any stuck issues, but I wonder sometimes……is that normal? Believe me, I'm not a perfect eater all the time. Meaning, I might eat a bit faster, or take a bite bigger than I should. I know everyone is different, but?? I'm going to see my doc this month. I need to address these things with him.

Think of your kitchen sink...have a large anount of food go down the drain, too fast and too sudden, and what happens...it gets CLOGGED...cannot go anywhere...just sits there....

Will it allow other things, such as Water, to pass by it? NOT REALLY....it will only over flow onto the floor....

That is what getting stuck truley is...clogging up the plumbing, not allowing anything to get by....then the sliming begins...the bodys mechanism to get it unclogged...also hiccups....thay may be enough to get unclogged....

Sometimes the only way to get unclogged is to get it to come back up...(not really vomiting)....regurgitation....

I sip Water, overfilling the pouch...it WILL come back up having no where else to go...

Can it be painful? YOU BET!!! Can be EXTREMLEY painful especially if your dialting your pouch...and the effects from thr pain can linger for the rest of the day....

I never bought into the therory that drinking with meals will wash it down...the opposite effect happens to me if I try...so I CANNOT drink while eating, or else!!

This may sound dumb as hell, but I almost wish I'd get stuck ONCE, just so I know I have the band!! On the other hand, I've always been afraid of stuck, PBs, etc., so I'm careful most all the time. But even still, I have gone a bit brain dead from time to time, and still…..nothing stuck. Is it my anatomy??

The only thing I did have happen, was at a party two weeks ago. I drank mucho plenty of wine, and ate whatever appetizers were out. I ate a little bit of the dinner (chicken & salad), but mostly wine and finger foods. They had karaoke, and every time I took a breath to sing, little burps came out. No one heard it, but it was so frustrating. I had that issue for a good hour or two. I only have that happen after drinking too much. Eating too much doesn't cause it, but throw in the alcohol, and I become a little burp machine :D

This may sound dumb as hell, but I almost wish I'd get stuck ONCE, just so I know I have the band!! On the other hand, I've always been afraid of stuck, PBs, etc., so I'm careful most all the time. But even still, I have gone a bit brain dead from time to time, and still…..nothing stuck. Is it my anatomy??

The only thing I did have happen, was at a party two weeks ago. I drank mucho plenty of wine, and ate whatever appetizers were out. I ate a little bit of the dinner (chicken & salad), but mostly wine and finger foods. They had karaoke, and every time I took a breath to sing, little burps came out. No one heard it, but it was so frustrating. I had that issue for a good hour or two. I only have that happen after drinking too much. Eating too much doesn't cause it, but throw in the alcohol, and I become a little burp machine :D

i am too big of a wussy (albeit a tanned one) :)

and too scared of hurting myself.....never pb'd, never slimed, never nothing..

been a very easy going journey for me so far.....had some moments when

hub has to (burp) me if i drink too much at a time, but he says i am his baby

so he dont mind......

i think you are doing the right thing

you did and do better than you give yourself credit for..

the band and plication are there and they are working..

trust it and believe in them......i believe in YOU.

tmf - something as small as a cherry pit would get stuck? I'm trying to figure out where I am in the scheme of things. I can still swallow a Vitamin tablet without issue. Maybe I need a fill? I'm struggling to hear the band signals, as I did early on. But I've already got 7.5cc's in a 10cc band. I guess I should be glad that I haven't had any stuck issues, but I wonder sometimes……is that normal? Believe me, I'm not a perfect eater all the time. Meaning, I might eat a bit faster, or take a bite bigger than I should. I know everyone is different, but?? I'm going to see my doc this month. I need to address these things with him.

I'm thinking yes but I don't want to find out. Cherry pits seem to be bigger than most Vitamins I take. I picture the stoma to be about the size of the hole in a straw. Sometimes even less. If you've ever seen Catfish's video on his fluoroscopy you'll see the hole is not very big.

You've done very well with the band and I'd only recommend a fill if you start to plateau for a few months and begin to get hungry 2-3 hours after a meal? If you're losing slowly now don't rock the boat. jmo

tmf

I had a minor bout with a piece of dry turkey. I've had worse before. Gained a pound but well within the usual fluctuations.