Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sweet Tooth

I had my surgery April 2006,

I have kept all my weight off, but am about 15 lbs shy of my goal. Over the past 3 months I have had cravings for nothing but sweets. I have tried various Protein Bars and drinks to off set the cravings, but can't get rid of it. Anyone have suggestions for my sweet tooth that won't go away?

Have you tried Hershey's Simple Pleasures? 30 cals, 2.7g fat, 9.7g carbs. One or two and I'm good to go in the sweet department. I prefer the dark chocolate but the milk chocolate and the caramel are both quite good!

Peanut Butter mixed with crushed healthy Cereal and chocolate Protein powder...tastes like a reeses peanut butter cup...the recipe is under the recipe section.

Once up on a time, years ago, when I was in that famous weight loss group called Weight Watchers, they suggested when you had a craving for something sweet try a dill pickle. Not saying it works (I never cared for dill pickles), but I suggested it to someone that did try it and it has worked for her. My craving right now is salt, and I have never craved salt and I don't add any additional salt to any of my food. But I don't have a solution for that one. Anyway, you might try the pickle and see if it works.

I would not cave on this one. In fact I would try taking most of the carbs out of your diet instead and upping your Protein and veggies.

Our bodies tend to crave the opposite of what they need. I also believe that sugar and carbs and namely

Processed foods

Lead to

Cravings like the kind you are having. Sugar is a major problem for me and I intend to cut it out of my life for good after gastric. I am doing a lot of research on the subject and even if I weren't having surgery I would be cutting out the carbs from my diet other than veggies and small amounts of fruit.

Processed carbs are for certain the culprit and I think many fail on gastric namely because they keep eating these designer foods that are created to cause cravings and do not provide nutrition to

Our bodies.

Anyhow'. That was more convincing then "eat a pickle" don't you think? I used to eat whole jars of them and it never worked for me.

Usually if you are craving something (salty foods, sweets & so on) it means your body needs that item. Talk to your doctor & see what they have to say.

Personally, I try fruit (like grapes, pineapple or watermelon) but only small amounts. For salty items, sunflower seeds or peanuts usually work.

Before I had the rny I could usually take it or leave it on the sweets NOW I absolutely crave

them!

I haven't deprived myself of sweets or carbs.. I will have a bite or two and am satisfied. I try to stick to dark chocolate and whole grains though. I am almost 8 months since RNY and only have 5 pounds to my goal which is a normal BMI. I myself believe if I deprive myself it's all I think about. So by allowing myself to indulge a smidge it keeps me in check. I usually have one dark chocolate dove piece a day. It's also heart healthy ???? I don't believe in sugar free either.. Sugar free items are full of chemicals which I will not be putting in my body. Give me the real stuff just in tiny amounts.

I'm another RNYer that doesn't believe in depriving myself of anything. In the beginning I bought those Sugar Free Chocolates, there are many brands with this same problem, they had Sugar Alcohols as sweeteners instead of sugar. These cause great gastric distress, as in non stop diarrhea for hours in many people. These ingredients have names like Sorbitol, Xylitol, Maltitol and can also be found in Diet Slurpees, which I learned the hard way. I'd rather indulge in a little of the good stuff than the chemical stuff any day.

Hello

I know I am not supposed to write in this forum, but I need the advice of people who have had the RNY for years.

I just completed all my hoop jumping to actually get the surgery (Sleeve)... and when I went for my pre op appointment with the surgeon, he tells me that my insurance will not finance a sleevoe, and my only choice is a RNY... well I have done all my research for the past 6 months on a sleeve, and now I was told today (friday) that the surgery I am scheduled for on Tuesday is now going to be an RYN and I am petrified.

I know this is a crazy question.. but my surgeon told me that I will have to cut out sugars, for the rest of my life. Never will be able to take a bite of a birthday cake... never have ice cream.. well I know all these are bad, and they aren't on my normal menu, but down the track.. this is never going to be an option for me with a RYN... can anyone shine a tiny bit of light about what you can eat waaaaaaay down the track?

Thank you for any help

I was told by my surgeon that sugar got me to 340 lbs and needing surgery and that to lose that, something had to change. That being said, I also am a serious sweet addict, obviously! There are a couple of things I do to help with these cravings. First, I write about the feelings coming up, talk about it and wait it out! Then, I do a lot of great recipes that are really good and satisfy the craving. I love Quest Protein bars! They taste just like Cookies or whichever flavor, they fill me up and satisfy the craving. Second, I go to theworldaccordingtoeggface.com blog, where Michelle Vicari, a fellow WLS companion, has a ton of great recipes, without sugar, that satisfy! She has a chocolate Protein cake recipe, protein ice cream, and many other great recipes that are good food, can be planned into your day, and that rock in taste and satisfaction! I know that ,for me, to ever go back to eating as I did before surgery, will get me the same results it always did! Good luck! I hear you loud and clear! Together we can get through this! I care!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk