Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Fat Food Companies!

Yep those wacky people got our number again..

Do you remember when "fat free"

Was the new buzzword in processed food? ?

Americans loved this new healthy alternative and they bought it and consumed more because it was "healthy" And they became fatter..

Let's not forget "sugar free" even better right? And yes the Americans became fatter..

Oh the wonders of pre packed processed foods, they followed us and then. Decided gluten free was the way to go!! Yes healthy gluten free potato chips!!!

And Americans got fatter.

Organic soda anyone? Yes you soda drinkers too can the healthy craze!

Today at the store I noticed they got it "right" again.. I can go and find "Greek" products. yes I see you big food company pushing those Greek "style" yogurts. Greek style Cereal anyone??

It's yummy and good for you!!

Or is Protein your cash cow? No longer do we need to eat real food with protein because a miracle has happened! they found away to make those processed foods rich in protein.. now we can eat protein cereal! Yay! Protein granola bars!! Double yay!!

Baby Ruth anyone??

post-167126-0-56423000-1385508661_thumb.jpg

And Americans got fatter...

Yep those wacky people got our number again.. Do you remember when "fat free" Was the new buzzword in processed food? ? Americans loved this new healthy alternative and they bought it and consumed more because it was "healthy" And they became fatter.. Let's not forget "sugar free" even better right? And yes the Americans became fatter.. Oh the wonders of pre packed processed foods, they followed us and then. Decided gluten free was the way to go!! Yes healthy gluten free potato chips!!! And Americans got fatter. Organic soda anyone? Yes you soda drinkers too can the healthy craze! Today at the store I noticed they got it "right" again.. I can go and find "Greek" products. yes I see you big food company pushing those Greek "style" yogurts. Greek style Cereal anyone?? It's yummy and good for you!! Or is Protein your cash cow? No longer do we need to eat real food with protein because a miracle has happened! they found away to make those processed foods rich in protein.. now we can eat protein cereal! Yay! Protein granola bars!! Double yay!! Baby Ruth anyone?? And Americans got fatter...

I just had to read this out loud to my husband while we were going home (we carpool) because it was right on! Now we will probably be seeing protein tagged on allot of stuff. Ugh - baby Ruth really?

I just had to read this out loud to my husband while we were going home (we carpool) because it was right on! Now we will probably be seeing Protein tagged on allot of stuff. Ugh - baby Ruth really?

Lol I went to the grocery store today and was just hit by all of this craziness!

I started looking at packaging for all the buzzwords.

Tell your husband I said thank you for listening to my rant :D

Indeed it's all marketing. And just like the "reduced fat" foods they "protein enriched" foods are still just this side of useless. The best thing anyone can do in the grocery store is shop the perimeter and stay out of the middle aisles. Produce....meat....dairy....checkout. Go home. Done. Live a long healthy life.

Well ok here's another rant about food companies GREEK YOGURT!

Since I have two nice people reading this here's

Part of an article I read...

Is your favorite brand of Greek yogurt the real deal or a Greek yogurt fake out?

Greek yogurt has taken the United States by storm, and for good reason. Ounce for ounce, plain lowfat Greek yogurt has more than twice as much Protein as "regular" yogurt, plus it's much lower in carbs. It's also incredibly versatile, standing in for higher-calorie ingredients, such as sour cream or Mayonnaise, in creamy dips and dressings, and it can take the place of butter or oil in baked goods.

The United States is the only place where it's called Greek yogurt – everywhere else in the world it's called "strained" yogurt, referring to the straining process that's used to remove much of the liquid (which is mostly Water and milk sugars), leaving behind a thicker yogurt that is higher in Protein.< /p>

Unfortunately, no standard practice exists for labeling foods as containing "Greek yogurt." This means that products can list Greek yogurt as an ingredient when they actually include very little of this nutritious food. Some of these misleading products are easier to spot than others. Most cereals, granola bars, dried fruits or pretzels that boast that they're made with Greek yogurt usually have more sugar than anything else, with a bit of "powdered" Greek yogurt.

But other Greek yogurt fake-outs aren't so obvious. In the dairy case, for example, right alongside the "good guys," such as Fage and Chobani, there can be plenty of Greek yogurt imposters. These brands may have the same thick, rich texture of Greek yogurt, but instead of being strained in the authentic "Greek" style, they are actually just thickened with add-ins, such as cornstarch, pectin, Gelatin and carob bean gum. These products wind up with more carbs (and often more sugar) than protein, defeating the purpose of opting for Greek yogurt.

Some brands may have a decent ratio of protein to carbs, but they're made with artificial sweeteners, such as sucralose (Splenda) or acesulfame potassium (an artificial sweetener that's used in products like Coke Zero). While the calorie count of some of these yogurts may be relatively lower, don't be swayed by calories alone - it matters far more where those calories are coming from. Since one of the main benefits of Greek-style yogurt is that it has nearly three times as much protein as carbs, I'll take a few more calories per serving if it means more protein and less sugar.

Laure ven, the NUT actually pointed out to us in class about this very same thing. She even had an empty yoplait container when they attempted to say they had Greek yogurt when it wasn't, but filled with cornstarch and pectin... Ect. Instead.

It amazes me how much junk I have eaten thinking it was "good" for me, and my best friend had to go show me food babe.... Don't get me started on that!

Oh that's a good Nut! Mine was a hack... The first time I went to see her she was drinking a diet squirt :P

I love Fage... It's funny how your tastes change when I first had it I was like blech!

But with blueberries and stevia it was good..

Well through this last year I've cut down then recently eliminated the stevia I strangely enough now enjoy it plain with just the berries for a bit of sweetness..

food babe?

food babe?

Foodbabe.com

excerpt from the about section: I became incredibly passionate about understanding what is in food – how it is grown, what chemicals are used in its production, and what eating food does or doesn’t do for the body.

I am most knowledgeable about harmful ingredients in processed foods and how to avoid them. For this reason, I have made it my mission to spread as much information as I can about what is in food, how to make the right purchasing decisions at the grocery store and how to live an organic lifestyle in this over-processed world

Here are some of the top topics she posts that I copied from her site... she also is on Facebook which is how my best friend introduced me to her

How Food Companies Exploit Americans with Ingredients Banned in Other Countries

The United State of GMOs – Keeping Us in the Dark

Coca Cola’s Low Calorie beverages Will Kill You Before They Solve Obesity

The Healthiest Protein powders On the Market

Toxins vs.Tradition – What Will Win On Your Thanksgiving Table?

Does Your Favorite candy Have GMOs?

Chick-Fil-A or Chemical-Fil-A?

Panera bread – The Healthiest Fast Food?

Tami I looked at her stuff last night. Pretty good stuff I like her :)

Oh good!

This! This!

My NUT was okay, but I really can't get over all of the recommendations to eat Yoplait light with sweeteners, etc. If I want yogurt I don't want to eat crap. I'd drink Crystal Light if I couldn't get the Water down any other way, but I don't want it to be an every day thing.

I don't know. It is truly frustrating.

If I can't pronounce the word or don't know what it means I do not eat it, or drink it. i hate low fat everything or artificial sweeteners of any kind...I spend a lot more time at the grocery stores then I used to that's for sure and now have found some interesting and good for you choices....

Once they said oat bran for cholesterol, now you never hear of it...That is just one of the many miracles that big food companies use as bait to get you to by their stuff.......

That one type of yogurt that said it fixed your digestion if you ate one every day...they were sued because it was a lie..

Organic..now another laugh in my mind...anyone can slap a label on a product and call it organic...How can anything be truly organic...We have polluted every aspect of out earth. There is nothing pure any more.....I we knew everything that we were eating and what it is made of and injected into it...We would stop eating altogether...

They are now cloning Salmon and will soon be offering on the market as real salmon...Glue for pork and beef so that it looks a little more appetizing and they don't have to sell it as a cheaper cut...

eggs that are 6-8 weeks old before they get to your market and they have a good before date that adds another 2 to3 weeks on the shelf life....

It is all very scary and that is why I try not to get to caught up in it all...I would drive myself battier then I already am....I am using more whole grains and market fresh veggies and meat and I know that it really makes very little difference..You would have to tear down the entire system and start again...who is going to do that..no one..and not the ones in charge as these companies have them in their pockets..It is all about power and money...

Not the welfare of people.....

Oh I see I started to rant myself...oops

I can't eat anything with aspartame. I get Migraines from it. I wouldn't eat it if I could after studying up on it. I try to buy our beef at a butcher where there is no hormones or preservatives added but it's expensive considering its 2 towns over and the meat doesn't keep as long. I did watch Jamie Oliver's "Pink Slime" on YouTube and was disgusted by it but am more so by the fact that I can leave margarine outside for a week and no bugs come eat it (yes I did it after hearing this from a friend). I wish the FDA had to label all of our foods ingredients as modified or non-modified as well but doubt that happens as the ex CEO of Monsanto is now the head of our FDA. Im with the previous post that worry can consume me if I think on it too much but I also feel like we should be proactive and diligent in supporting those who are fighting for the labeling.

The hubbs and I were JUST talking about this!!
I'm trying to steer away from using as many processed things as possible when possible, and when I DO use them I have to read labels because I'm having reactions to anything with MSG, aspartame, and citric acid.

I've been using cream cheese made with greek yogurt, but I am starting to second-guess that decision!

My poor hubby still has it in his head that low-fat and sugar-free are the way to go... We still have some work to do.