Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Toning And Weightloss

Hi there all! I was sleeved on 9/9/13 and including preop weight loss I have lost a total of 95 lbs. for the past two months all I have been doing for exercise is Water aerobics twice a week and walking. But I have noticed the the skin is really starting to sag :( I want to start toning by lifting weights but I have heard it slows the weight loss. And I am only getting in about 560cal a day all protein(70/80g Protein a day) and that is all I can handle while getting in all my water(65-80oz/day). Now my question is this: will I continue to lose weight if I start lifting weights or will my body think I am starving and try to hold on to it?

It is true......once you start lifting and exercising, the scales tend to slow down. Unless the number on the scale is your very #1 priority, I wouldn't let that deter you. With 500-600 cals a day, your body probably already thinks you are starving anyway. Cardio (walking, swimming, etc) CAN actually add muscle some, but resistance training is your number one way to add/retain muscle. :)

When exercising and on a calorie deficit, make sure to get in even a little more Protein and up your calories a little if possible. This will help preserve muscle and ensure that more of the weight you are losing is fat, not muscle. This along with Water retention is the main reason the weight loss slows and weight adjusts when on an exercise/lifting routine. When I say Water retention, I don't mean the bloated, puffy kind. Basically when you exercise, your body tears down muscles so that it can repair and build up even stronger. When taxing your muscles like this, those muscles need proper hydration (water) and Protein to repair itself and build back even stronger. So it holds onto a little more water in the muscles to repair. So it's not like you are holding onto more fat or gaining fat, you'll actually be able to burn a little more fat by doing this. In the end, the scales may show a little less loss than they would've if you didn't exercise. But that's due to more muscle.......so your overall body composition (fat %) will improve. And more muscle fills in sagging skin and can reduce the amount of sagging skin.

With all of that said, muscle can only do so much in regards to saggy skin. <_< Basically, since it (muscle) is so dense, there's is almost no way to match, volume-wise, muscle gain for fat loss in cubic inches. Fat is easily added to our frame and takes up much more space than muscle and muscle is harder and slower to add to our frames, especially for the ladies. But exercising, especially resistance training can only help with skin issues. I truly feel it's the #1 reason why I've had very little to no skin issues.

Congrats on getting the sleeve and I wish you the best with your skin issues!

:)

It is true......once you start lifting and exercising, the scales tend to slow down. Unless the number on the scale is your very #1 priority, I wouldn't let that deter you. With 500-600 cals a day, your body probably already thinks you are starving anyway. Cardio (walking, swimming, etc) CAN actually add muscle some, but resistance training is your number one way to add/retain muscle. :) When exercising and on a calorie deficit, make sure to get in even a little more Protein and up your calories a little if possible. This will help preserve muscle and ensure that more of the weight you are losing is fat, not muscle. This along with Water retention is the main reason the weight loss slows and weight adjusts when on an exercise/lifting routine. When I say water retention, I don't mean the bloated, puffy kind. Basically when you exercise, your body tears down muscles so that it can repair and build up even stronger. When taxing your muscles like this, those muscles need proper hydration (water) and protein to repair itself and build back even stronger. So it holds onto a little more water in the muscles to repair. So it's not like you are holding onto more fat or gaining fat, you'll actually be able to burn a little more fat by doing this. In the end, the scales may show a little less loss than they would've if you didn't exercise. But that's due to more muscle.......so your overall body composition (fat %) will improve. And more muscle fills in sagging skin and can reduce the amount of sagging skin. With all of that said, muscle can only do so much in regards to saggy skin. <_< Basically, since it (muscle) is so dense, there's is almost no way to match, volume-wise, muscle gain for fat loss in cubic inches. Fat is easily added to our frame and takes up much more space than muscle and muscle is harder and slower to add to our frames, especially for the ladies. But exercising, especially resistance training can only help with skin issues. I truly feel it's the #1 reason why I've had very little to no skin issues. Congrats on getting the sleeve and I wish you the best with your skin issues! :)

thank you for your reply!! Super informative!!!! I really appreciate it!!! Now I also hear you have to eat something before and after a work out? Is this true? And is a Premier Protein shake good enough for the recovery "snack"?

You're welcome. ;)

There's some debate on the "pre-workout meal", but most are in general agreement that you'll want to consume lean Protein within an hour or so after exercise for recovery. Everyone is different and responds differently, but usually you'll want some kind of Protein (whey, cassein or solid protein like chicken, eggs or fish) in that first meal or two after your exercise. I tend to have a protein shake followed by some oats or some other complex carb. Then my next full meal, I'll have a lean protein like (chicken or egg whites) along with a complex carb like broccoli, green Beans, carrots or oats.

For me, I LOVE to workout on an empty stomach! I've tried both.....eating before a workout and not. I used to eat before a workout and most times I was sluggish, lacked focus and my performance was not optimal. About a year and a half to 2 years ago, I started skipping any kind of "pre-workout meal". I found that if I workout on an empty stomach, my exercise sessions are so much better. I'm more focused and not nearly as sluggish as I am if I eat within a couple of hours before my workout. I make sure to not consume anything within two hours of a workout, and for full on meals, no more than 3 hours before my workout. But that's me and some people may not be able to do this, especially if they have sugar issues. My guess.......if we eat a meal an hour or two before a workout, our bodies are focused on digesting that food. Our bodies pump a lot of blood to our stomach and intestines to make those organs work to digest the food, which leaves less resources for our muscles to use. I don't have any scientific evidence to back that, but I'm guessing there's something to it. :)

Trial and error has taught me what works best for my body. You should try different approaches, be observant, tuned into your body, see what works best for you and go from there. Wish you the best! :)

Hey,We should be take care of the body weight issues because actual weight of the body so good for ideal

personality and fitness.We should be take positively steps for weight loss of the body like,..

Exercise work

Swimming and cycling

Vegetarian foods and vegetables Soups

Green tea

Water

Push ups and pull ups.

Brienshamp personal trainer

You're welcome. ;) There's some debate on the "pre-workout meal", but most are in general agreement that you'll want to consume lean Protein within an hour or so after exercise for recovery. Everyone is different and responds differently, but usually you'll want some kind of protein (whey, cassein or solid protein like chicken, eggs or fish) in that first meal or two after your exercise. I tend to have a Protein Shake followed by some oats or some other complex carb. Then my next full meal, I'll have a lean protein like (chicken or egg whites) along with a complex carb like broccoli, green Beans, carrots or oats. For me, I LOVE to workout on an empty stomach! I've tried both.....eating before a workout and not. I used to eat before a workout and most times I was sluggish, lacked focus and my performance was not optimal. About a year and a half to 2 years ago, I started skipping any kind of "pre-workout meal". I found that if I workout on an empty stomach, my exercise sessions are so much better. I'm more focused and not nearly as sluggish as I am if I eat within a couple of hours before my workout. I make sure to not consume anything within two hours of a workout, and for full on meals, no more than 3 hours before my workout. But that's me and some people may not be able to do this, especially if they have sugar issues. My guess.......if we eat a meal an hour or two before a workout, our bodies are focused on digesting that food. Our bodies pump a lot of blood to our stomach and intestines to make those organs work to digest the food, which leaves less resources for our muscles to use. I don't have any scientific evidence to back that, but I'm guessing there's something to it. :) Trial and error has taught me what works best for my body. You should try different approaches, be observant, tuned into your body, see what works best for you and go from there. Wish you the best! :)

thank you! Thank you! You are awesome!!! I am going to have to experiment!!!

:)