Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry And Full Feeling?

Hi all....

I was just wondering what your 'hungry' feeling is now that you have had surgery- and what your 'full' feeling is?

Im having a hard time recognizing the feelings....but this is where Im at:

I think my hungry feeling is this sick pain- kind of like I either need to vomit or lay down.

I think my full feeling is kind of like an elephant sitting on my ribcage.

My hungry feeling is almost nonexistent....I still eat three times a day whether I want to or not...lol. My full feeling is a shut off in my stomach..an impending feeling that one more bite is too much...the times I ignored this feeling, I've refunded the meal. I know this is vague, but it's the best I can do:)

I think it really depends on where you are at in your journey. At first your nerve endings are still healing and you don't get the hunger or full feelings. At about 6 months my hungry feeling was nausea. At 17 months my hungry feeling is a feeling of emptiness mixed with some nausea. My full feeling is like I have just eaten thanksgiving dinner. My brain and stomach does give me the warning bite feeling. The feeling of if you take one more bite you will be miserable.

Also keep in mind everyone is different and this journey is about discovering your body and your bodies signals.

I agree with music1618. My hungry feeling is very subtle, and 5 hours can go by before I realize I haven't eaten. Half the time I make myself eat. My full feeling is awful. It feels like I have a balloon under my ribcage and it is being inflated.

I am 12 days PO snd I have not yet had that full feeling. I thought after a few bites I would feel that but I am not. I put my food in a 3 oz small tupperware container so I don't eat more. I am wondering if that is to much food. I have not experienced extreme hunger either. I haven't lost anything for 4 days, should I be concerned?? I sm learning this is definitely still a mind game...

I think it really depends on where you are at in your journey. At first your nerve endings are still healing and you don't get the hunger or full feelings. At about 6 months my hungry feeling was nausea. At 17 months my hungry feeling is a feeling of emptiness mixed with some nausea. My full feeling is like I have just eaten thanksgiving dinner. My brain and stomach does give me the warning bite feeling. The feeling of if you take one more bite you will be miserable.

Also keep in mind everyone is different and this journey is about discovering your body and your bodies signals.

Six months out and I don't get 'hungry' feelings. I plan my meals and Snacks, measure them, and follow my plan. I carry a lunchbag everywhere I go so I always have a Protein rich snack or meal when it's time to eat something. If I go too long without eating I get dizzy.

My 'full' feeling is more obvious, but with practice I've learned to avoid it with my planned, measured meals. I know how much I can eat - pushing those limits always end badly. The 'full' feeling for me begins with a slight pain just below but between my breasts. When I feel that it's only a matter of one or two more bites to total misery. If I stop there I'm good. If I keep going (and I have) burping, gurgling, foaming, and nausea starts and can last anywhere from 45 mins to 3 hours. Even if it comes up I can't eat or drink anything for hours afterward. Not pleasant!!!! I haven't had it happen in over two months.

As everyone has said, we are all different. You learn your own limits through trial and error. :-)

I am 12 days PO snd I have not yet had that full feeling. I thought after a few bites I would feel that but I am not. I put my food in a 3 oz small tupperware container so I don't eat more. I am wondering if that is to much food. I have not experienced extreme hunger either. I haven't lost anything for 4 days, should I be concerned?? I sm learning this is definitely still a mind game...

At 12 days post op your nerve endings are still healing. You will not feel full for a couple months. Follow your docs instructions on amount and types of food. It is designed to get you through this stage of not feeling your stomach.

Velvett 72: I am just one day behind you Nov 18th with the Roun Y... I have not felt hungry at all since surgery.... Just can't fit in 64oz of fluids and 50 grams of Proteins yet..but each day is better and I am so happy after 30 years of the battle, that I am winning for good this time! Best wishes to you and Chelle.. The one feeling I do "get" is eating more than 3 - 4 ozs of anything allowed! YUCKY for hours after..... :huh:

Hi all.... I was just wondering what your 'hungry' feeling is now that you have had surgery- and what your 'full' feeling is? Im having a hard time recognizing the feelings....but this is where Im at: I think my hungry feeling is this sick pain- kind of like I either need to vomit or lay down. I think my full feeling is kind of like an elephant sitting on my ribcage.

This is depressing...hope its because you're surgery was recent I don't want to go through life with constantly feeling either of those feelings