Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

Thank you everyone for your prayers and support. Its nice to know your not alone when things like this happens.

I contacted Mt. Carmel this afternoon and there is an "educational forum" on March 12th so I got signed up for that. Barbra, the lady I spoke with, said she couldn't answer many of my questions, but I should bring everything I've done to date with me to the seminar and they will be able to answer everything at that time. Funny, I'm not as excited to attend this siminar as I was the last one :tea:.

TM - insurance can be a real pain in the a$$! You can't live without it, but they sure make life miserable even when you do have it. The day before I had my psych consult, I checked and my psychologist was in-network. Then, mysteriously, when the claim was processed, he was out-of-network. Keep plugging away and we'll all keep praying for you!

Sue - likewise, it's always good to be able to put a face with a name. See you on Monday. I wonder if we'll get a green I.V. for St. Paddy's Day?

Special K - My testing time was supposed to be 8:30 but I got there around 8:00. It doesn't seem to matter what time you are scheduled. In fact, I think that maybe Charlene arbitrarily assigns testing times just so everybody doesn't show up at the same time. They took me right away and I was done with the chest x-ray and blood draw very quickly. I was actually pleasantly surprised. Then I had an hour to kill before the 9:30 class with Michelle and Melissa. By the way, Michelle (the dietician) is leaving Mt. Carmel. They will tell you to call 234-LIFE and schedule your post-op class. The last one she is offering is April 2nd, so I got in that one. She doesn't know when they will find a replacement. See you on the 17th!

Good to know that if I get there early, they will take me early and I'd have a chance to get a bite to eat before the class with Michelle and Melissa. Interesting that they are losing their dietician. I have one through RiteBite named Laura Poland that I really like if you want her info. She is In-Network for my Aetna health insurance so all I pay is a $25 co-pay to consult with her.

Yes, I'm voluntarily doing the Protein Shakes and 1 lean meat/veg meal for the 2 weeks. Dr. Price didn't say I had to. Its me trying to jump start my weight loss and it looks like it is working. I am struggling today though because I've done so much physical work outside with pushing a snowblower (like mowing a lawn for 4 hours with a push mower) that my diet tracking program says I've burned up like 1000 calories in exercise and then if I'm only eating about 1000 calories this isn't going to work. I'll probably up my calories I eat today to compensate for the physical exertion and energy level I need.

TM--I am so sorry to hear about all that has happend when I was gone! I am sure that Mt Carmel will accept everything that you have done, and maybe you can still be an april/may bandster!

I had plans of starting a liquid diet before surgery, but I have spent the last two days stuck in our driveway. I really need to get out tomorrw...I have all of the things to buy before surgery on the 12th!!! I am not really nervous yet, but my Hubby is having a really hard time the closer it gets. Last night he just broke down...I felt so bad. Maybe I am strong because I know he isn't...guess that is why we make such a great team!

Anyways...keep warm and stay safe!

n

Hey Niki~ glad your home safe... how was the trip? I hope you got rested up. Your big day is just around the corner now. How wonderful to have a DH that loves you enough to be concerned for your safety. Give that boy a big hug!

I hope everyone stayed warm and safe this weekend. My DD, her DBF, and DGD stayed with us. They live east of Zanesville and work in Hebron so we were alot closer for them. It was so nice having my little grandaughter here with me.... (but she is a bed hog :biggrin2:). She just turned 5, and she sure can brighten the worst of days. We made french toast for bk and then spent the morning in my craft room making an easter door hanger for her papaw. I think little ones that age are so funny, she had me in stiches showing me how she learned to wink and cross her eyes..... though her wink was more of a fast blink with both eyes.

After the day I had Friday, I think God knew I needed some grandbaby lovin's to lift my spirits.

I hope everyone has a blessed Monday.

Tm--I really understand what you mean...being with children, and recieving their love, is enough to brighten any day! My DD, Jenna, turnned 5 on vacation, so I have a good understanding of the "energy" that you are talking about!

Yesterday I was able to get out to the store, so I am liquids from here on out! I am getting more excited as the day gets closer. All I have left to do is Laundry and clean the house...FUN! lol

Hope everyone is doing well! Keep safe and warm!

n

Only 2 days Niki. This has been a long journey for you to get to this point. How excited you must be!

Sue, K & Greg you guys are just around the corner. Its funny how everyone got their dates about the same time. Mt. Carmel is gonna be hoppin for the next couple weeks.

A question for those already banded....What did you take to the hospital with you? Was there anything you didn't take but wished you had?

One week to go...Any Shrinking Shamrocks getting nervous? Besides me I mean!!!! :blushing:

A question for those already banded....What did you take to the hospital with you? Was there anything you didn't take but wished you had?

One week to go...Any Shrinking Shamrocks getting nervous? Besides me I mean!!!! :blushing:

I took a change of clothes, loose fitting pants and a loose shirt a pair of slip on shoes, you don't want any thing you have to bend over and tie. Here is a little tip.....There is a cute Teddy Bear in the hospital room, (there was when I was there) it is great to help you get out of bed, hold it against your stomach to help take some of the pressure off as you are getting up. I got to take him home too! Okay Greg you might not want to use the Teddy Bear, I started out using a pillow till I ask one of the nurse if he was mine.

Oh yes don't forget to take some thing to read so you don't get bored between walks!!! I can not stress how important it is to get out of that bed as soon as you get into that room, I strongly believe that, that is one of the main reason I did not have Gas pain at all and my quick recovery!!!! When I was in there I didn't see any one walking the halls, I was lonely walking the halls by myself:huh2:when my DH went home to take care of my DS.

Thanks LadyQ. Should I take a bath robe for my walks or do they provide one? And what about slippers?

Yes Sue, getting a little nervous as the time gets closer too. Picked up a sore throat from being outside shoveling snow so much and I'm gargling at least twice a day with Listerine to help chase that away.

I was planning to take my pajamas, robe, slippers and send my other clothes home with my family overnight and have them bring them back the next day.

I'm heading off for my pre-admission testing here shortly. Hope they will draw my blood early and let me get down to the Tim Horton's and get coffee after! Its hard to start the day with no coffee, nothing to drink.

P.S. Loved the story about holding onto the bear to protect your tummy. Now I don't feel so guilty for buying my stuffed green 'good luck' Care Bear!

Thanks LadyQ. Should I take a bath robe for my walks or do they provide one? And what about slippers?

I did not take a bath robe, They give you two gowns on front ward one back wards, with the IV in your arm you will have a hard time getting your robe on, and yes I'm sorry I did take my slippers, but I just walked around in the socks with traction they provide one less thing you have to bend over and put on.

Warning--Long post

Redbone - sorry I wish I could have gone this Thursday but apparently I should have been in last Thursday's class with Greg & Sue. When I went today, Melissa and Michelle that teach the classes were thrown off because they do GB patients on Tuesday and LB patients on Thursday so I had to keep dealing with each step of the day that people assumed I was having GB. They said it was the infamous office person we have all come to know and love making a scheduling mistake. I said all I want to be extra sure is that Dr. Price knows he's doing Lapband surgery and not GB... He does.. and they said they have all kinds of safety checks in place to be sure they do the right surgical procedure on the right person.

Anyway, I got there early enough that I got in and got the chest x-ray and blood work drawn within just minutes of getting registered. Then I hit the Tim Horton's and had a toasted bagel with cream cheese and coffee. A big calorie splurge but I'm glad I did because I didn't finish up until about 1:30pm or so and I would have been starved by then if I hadn't eaten something or taken a snack.

Melissa taught the medical aspects review of the lapband and gastic bypass procedures, what to expect, etc. then Michelle came in and did the dietician parts. Then they whisked us off to pre-admission testing for our history and physicals, EKG, get blood gasses drawn (ouch! for 2 seconds), then a short physical by a doctor that goes very carefully through all your medical history. So, after all that shuffling I just chose to go ahead and drive myself home and relax.

So, the fact that Melissa and Michelle both had to cover GB and Lapband at the same time in front of me and the two GB patients, I got to see side by side all the different warnings and restrictions she told the GB patients about compared to lapband. Let me see if I remember some of the ones that caught my attention.

Days in hospital - 1 overnight for LB - 2 or 3 for RNY/GB

Full liquid diet for 2 weeks for LB, vs 3 weeks for RNY

No sugars for RNY or they'll experience dumping syndrome - said not an issue for LB

Fibrous foods that supposedly LB can't ever have anymore -- broccoli, asparagus, celery, pineapple and rhubarb, doughy or sticky foods like breads that will 'ball up', Hard to chew foods such as Steak, coconut, chips, popcorn, dried fruits including raisins, or chewy Protein Bars. Said this food warning list comes from the lap band vendor. Said the GB/RNY folks didn't have a list like this.

Appetite - said the GB patients will totally lose theirs for 6-8 months and that the LB won't have the same. Some foods taste different.

Starting Portions at one sitting - 1/2 cup for LB, 1/4 cup for RNY.

Portions later on - LB will get up to 1 cup, GB will never get to eat that amount, if they do, the pouch has been stretched out and this isn't right.

Calcium supplement - said the GB patients need a special version because they lose or don't absorb Calcium the same vs LB can take basic Calcium 1000-1200 mg or Calcium Carbonate like Tums, Centrum chewables.

GB folks also need B12 - sublingual - under the tongue to let it dissolve. Swallowing a B12 pill doesn't work.

She later said if fibrous foods are blenderized like pineapple in a smoothie that is okay for LB. Some LB people eat really mushy broccoli okay but she would tell you to see how it goes for fibrous foods.

Last, Michelle, the RD, said her last day is April 2 and she'll be teaching the GB post op diet class that day at 10 am and LB post op diet class at 11am. Said to call and get scheduled in for that. Mt. Carmel is interviewing and trying to find a replacement RD by the time she leaves. She is going to be able to work from home for Aetna doing nutrition counseling over the phone. Sounds like a lot less stress than being a RD for a big hospital.

Last, there were BIG warnings not to gain weight between now and surgery time -- to not do the Last Supper Syndrome or Farewell to Food Tour! She said some doctors are really sticklers that if the person has gained, they start the laproscopic procedure, they'll immediately convert to open incision if they have to. Sounds like good motivation to me to stick to as low calorie as I can reasonably do from now until Monday.