Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

Hi all, It's the third amigo checking in. As Kathi said, Monday started out as less than stellar. My 1:30 surgery time ended up being about 4:15. I finally got into my room at 7:00. Then they said Dr. Choban would be in to see me at 8:00 this morning. That ended up being 1:00 PM, at which time she told me I could go home ... BUT, after waiting an hour and 40 minutes for discharge papers, I finally tracked somebody down. They couldn't find my nurse, so somebody else ended up doing the final instructions. Next - "somebody will be right here with a wheelchair." After waiting another 10-15 minutes, I finally just walked out on my own. Surgery went fine, but I had the ever-popular gas pain in the upper abdomen, and every time I went for a walk, the pain moved up into my left shoulder. It finally went away, but now I'm coping with the pain in the port area. I hadn't had any pain meds since 7:00 this morning, but I finally broke down and took some codeine this evening. The biggest pain was all of the waiting - but at least it's all over ... or should I say, "The journey is just beginning!"

Yeah, getting an appointment can be quite a challenge. When I saw Dr. Choban last Friday, she said to go ahead and schedule a post-op appt. on the way out. At first they didn't want to schedule it until AFTER I had surgery. Then the office manager said they could go ahead and do it, but got all huffy about how she didn't have anything until May, so she made an appt. with Dr. Miller at Mt. Carmel East. So today, Dr. Choban said to call the office and schedule an appt. with HER. When I said they wouldn't do that, she said, "Tell them I said to squeeze you in somewhere!" So that should be a fun phone call tomorrow when I call to schedule that. I guess I'll just tell them that SHE said to do it! :lol:

i hate to say it but things seem to be on a downward spiral over there.

they need to expand their staff to match their expanding practice.

i never thought about trying to schedule an appt at mt carmel east. does dr choban see people out there too? does any one know?

i am flexible i can go out there just as easily as downtown.

on a lighter note---glad to know everyone is home well and recovering.

Yes, feeling pretty good this a.m. I called and got my post op surgery appointment with Dr. Price for April 11 so that isn't too bad. When I asked about scheduling my 1st fill appointment with Dr. Choban in mid-May, they said they couldn't do that until I see Dr. Price or unless his nurse (?Judy) told the scheduler it was okay to do it. So I left a message for Dr. Price's nurse to see if she will okay letting me get a fill appointment on the books. I just didn't want to wait until April 11 to hear him say get a fill appointment scheduled and it be the end of May before I get one. By end of April, who of us without any restriction in our bands are going to be feeling better to want to eat but just having to control our hunger -- I believe is period without a fill is what is referred to as bandster hell. I'm just going to take things 1 day at a time!

Sue and Greg, glad to hear you all are home and doing well. I'm really amazed at what seems to be chaos over at Mt. Carmel and glad in hindsight that I went a different route. I hope things get better over there and that you don't have to keep waiting ages for appointments... especially as they should be a bit more regimented to keep everyone flowing along nicely.

At least you are now banded and heading the right direction! The worst of it is over... even bandster hell isn't really that bad when you're expecting it. I think those that don't read or learn before surgery suffer with it worse than those that prepare as you have.

My favorite saying right now is... just stay the course!

Help...I can't find Dr.Chobans phone number. I know I must have it here somewhere. Would someone please give it to me so I can join the line to see her?

I am not going to be happy if I have to see another Doc. I want to see the one I chose.

You're right Heather at least we are going in the right direction, but I really don't think it should be difficult to get a follow up appt with your doctor . My my my, I'm feeling a little cranky this morning.:thumbup:

Dr. Choban's office# is 228-0768. I called this morning to cancel my appt. out east and make one with Dr. Choban for the first week of April. Again, they said she was booked until May, so I said Dr. Choban insisted that they squeeze me in that week. So the receptionist checked with Dr. C's medical assistant and, lo and behold, I got an appt. for April 2nd. Dr. C said they would schedule the first fill at that time and that Missy might do it. That's all for now ... back to my cream of chicken Soup.< /p>

Welcome home to all three of you! You were all on my mind, and I am glad to hear that things are going well. I had my post-op nutrition class today (I am also 1 week post op today!) It really wasn't anything special. Michelle did give us a few hand-outs, but other than that, she just read them out loud. I think giving you the info would be enough to start you on mushies in a few weeks!

I have to confess...I have been bad about taking the steri-stripes off. I have three left on my port site, but that is it. I was eager to clean under them and put neosporin on them. I think they look good, but to a 3 and 5yr old they are scarey and gross.

I wish I had a scale so I new how much I have lost so far....but I will tell you that the Water weight is gone and I have found my ancles!!! It was exciting to see them again!

I left a message with Diana, Dr Choban's nurse, to schedule my first fill...no new yet today, but it is not looking goood. I started to feel hungry for the first time last night, so that was another scary event. Makes me think that I will be ready for a fill in 6weeks! Today I am fine...no hunger yet!

QUESTION--were you guys put on Nexium post op? Is it ok to swollow a capsule? It is longer than an M&M, so I wasn't sure

I just got a nice warm shower and boy it felt good. I'm using a nice anti-bacterial body shower liquid soap so I hope that will help keep the wounds all clean until the steri strips start coming off.

I guess I want to jump in here and say that these surgeons are really good its just the office logistics things that need improved so I'm still hanging in there. They know they've got to improve. In the hospital itself, it probably isn't unusual for a very difficult case to run over the time the operating room was booked and they probably can't predict it or could be a trauma case came in unexpected and pushed the whole schedule off. I am pretty sure they keep the ORs booked tightly to get the most out of the investment in that minimally invasive surgery center.

Anyway, I'm glad to be home!!!

LOL -- my blender is really getting a workout chopping things up into liquid and making shakes.< /p>

Debbie, You can have my appointment if you can make it there tomorrow at 9:00a I fell playing Wii (Video game) bowling with my DH on, and I really don't want to lay there while they do my fill so let me ASAP if you can take my appointment.

Debbie I just sent you a PM with the info you need to take my appt.

Now here is some wisdom for every one always ask for the first appointment in the morning or the first appointment after lunch, that way there is no waiting or very little waiting!!!!!! At least this has been my experience at their office.

Welcome back you three! Glad to see you guys in such good spirits, it has made me feel alot more comfortable about my upcoming procedure.

I am, however, a little nervous about the follow up issues, but I hope that they will not be that big of an issue. If I don't hear what I want to hear, I will just stalk Dr. Choban until she makes it happen! lol

I fully intend to discuss this with her when she visits me after the procedure. I have faith in the surgeons, so I am trying to keep the faith that they are aware of the issue, and are moving to address it. Here's hoping!

Thanks Greg,I don't know how I managed to lose it. How are you feeling ?

any more gas pain?

SpecialK, how are you feeling today? I am feeling great except for some soreness in the tummy.

Lisa, I'm sure that everything will go just fine. The waiting was the hardest part. We'll be here rooting for you all the way!

LadyQ, hope you're ok..I guess those games can be dangerous!:thumbup:

:thumbup:Hi again. I went for my 1st fill on the 18th. I was up on 7 to get weighed first (down 37lbs total) around noonish, I looked and only saw one walker. He seemed like a sweetie. I almost walked down the halls yelling for you guys, but decided against it. lol.... Melissa did my fill she was great!! I was very happy. Also, as far as Dr.s go, I have Dr. Miller I see him out east. It is easy to get in there. I do not think any of the other Dr.s have an office out east. OH yeah, the Dr.s always have another surg. in with them to assist. Dr.CHoban helped Dr.Miller with mine. I did not schedule my 1st fill, they did and I just got a letter telling the time and place. well,anyway, I am running late. I hope all is swell. ttyl. tc