Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

N E 1 been Banded at Mt. Carmel col, oh

Greg -- Looks like you are still chugging along there! Congrats!

DJK -- You are going to do fine! You've got a great surgeon and you've really thought this through. Be sure to post and let us know when you are home post surgery.

Happy 4th of July to all. This story really inspired me and I wanted to pass it along. My father was career 24 yrs in US Air Force and our family made alot of sacrifices during those years and now I have a niece and nephew in the US Navy serving. I hope this inspires and lifts you up.

The Sack Lunches

I put my carry-on in the luggage compartment and sat down in my assigned seat. It was going to be a long flight. 'I'm glad I have a good book to read. Perhaps I will get a short nap,' I thought.

Just before take-off, a line of soldiers came down the aisle and filled all the vacant seats, totally surrounding me. I decided to start a conversation. 'Where are you headed?', I asked the soldier seated nearest to me. 'Petawawa. We'll be there for two weeks for special training, and then we're being deployed to Afghanistan . After flying for about an hour, an announcement was made that sack lunches were available for five dollars. It would be several hours before we reached the east, and I quickly decided a lunch would help pass the time.... As I reached for my wallet, I overheard soldier ask his buddy if he planned to buy lunch. 'No, that seems like a lot of money for just a sack lunch. Probably wouldn't be worth five bucks... I'll wait till we get to base. ' His friend agreed.

I looked around at the other soldiers. None were buying lunch. I walked to the back of the plane and handed the flight attendant a fifty dollar bill. 'Take a lunch to all those soldiers.' She grabbed my arms and squeezed tightly. Her eyes wet with tears, she thanked me. 'My son was a soldier in Iraq ; it's almost like you are doing it for him.'

Picking up ten sacks, she headed up the aisle to where the soldiers were seated. She stopped at my seat and asked, 'Which do you like best - beef or chicken? ' 'Chicken,' I replied, wondering why she asked. She turned and went to the front of plane, returning a minute later with a dinner plate from first class. 'This is your thanks.'

After we finished eating, I went again to the back of the plane, heading for the rest room. A man stopped me. 'I saw what you did. I want to be part of it. Here, take this.' He handed me twenty-five dollars.

Soon after I returned to my seat, I saw the Flight Captain coming down the aisle, looking at the aisle numbers as he walked, I hoped he was not looking for me, but noticed he was looking at the numbers only on my side of the plane. When he got to my row he stopped, smiled, held out hi s hand, and said, 'I want to shake your hand.' Quickly unfastening my seat belt I stood and took the Captain's hand. With a booming voice he said, 'I was a soldier and I was a military pilot. Once, someone bought me a lunch. It was an act of kindness I never forgot.' I was embarrassed when applause was heard from all of the passengers.

Later I walked to the front of the plane so I could stretch my legs. A man who was seated about six rows in front of me reached out his hand, wanting to shake mine. He left another twenty-five dollars in my palm.

When we landed I gathered my belongings and started to deplane. Waiting just inside the airplane door was a man who stopped me, put something in my shirt pocket, turned, and walked away without saying a word. Another twenty-five dollars!

Upon entering the terminal, I saw the soldiers gathering for their trip to the base. I walked over to them and handed them seventy-five dollars. 'It will take you some time to reach the base. It will be about time for a sandwich. God Bless You.'

Ten young men left that flight feeling the love and respect of their fellow travelers. As I walked briskly to my car, I whispered a prayer for their safe return. These soldiers were giving their all for our country. I could only give them a couple of meals. It seemed so little...

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.'

May God give you the strength and courage to pass this along to everyone on your buddy list....

I JUST DID!

Signed,

Proud to be an American

D.J.~

Good luck tomorrow-I am sure everything will be just fine-wish I was already having my band placed!!! Please let us know how everything went,and how you are feeling,etc. I am hoping to be where you're at within a couple of months. Just waiting to hear from the insurance. What insurance do you have,if you don't mind me asking. Anyway, keep your head up, and I will be saying a prayer for you!

Joyce

DJK -- are you home from the hospital? How are you doing? I'm sure Dr. Price took good care of you Monday for your surgery. Good luck during the liquids stage.

Hi All

Had my surgery on Mon 7/6 and all went fine. Had a little pain, but nothing that bad. I am on my liquid diet right now and still have all next week on it. It is getting a little boring with my options, but I know it is what I need to do. I surgery went much better than I expected I think the worst part was the hospital bed it was very uncomfortable. Only have taken pain med one day and don't seem to need it anymore.:tongue_smilie:

Hi Sillypuddy

I forgot to put that I have Aetna Ins and the process took about 7 months.

Hi everyone~

Was nice to meet some of you last weekend at Polaris-everyone looks so great!!! I can't wait to have my band installed so I can feel,and look as great as you all do! Still a little nervous,but talking with you all helped tremendously!

DJK, glad your surgery went well; how long were you in the hospital? How long will you be off work? Dr. Choban says I will probably be off work for two weeks. Which band did you get? Dr. Choban wanted to know which one I wanted,and after reading about both, I have no idea which one... I just assumed she would install whichever one is the best... Also,did you do the medifast, or liquid diet prior to surgery? Even though Choban doesn't require it,some of the other bandsters say it is a good idea to help shrink the liver...

It is a gorgeous day out, so I think I will take advantage of it,and go work in the yard a while. Keep up the good work everyone,and hopefully soon I will be joining you on the journey!

Joyce

Hi everyone~

Was nice to meet some of you last weekend at Polaris-everyone looks so great!!! !

Joyce

Damm, I missed it, I guess weight loss surgery doesn't help short term memory at all.

Joyce,

What kind of work do you do? I sit at a desk all day (no lifting or anything). I had my surgery on a Monday and was back to work that Thursday. I know that others, however, were off work longer (e.g. caregivers that need to lift patients, ...) Also, when I had my initial consult with Dr. Choban, she said that she wanted me to lose 10 pounds before surgery - to help shrink the liver to make it easier to do the laparascopic surgery. She even "threatened" that if I didn't lose the 10 lbs., she would not do the surgery after I got there. I don't know if she was serious or not. I think I did Slimfast the week before surgery just to make sure I lost the 10 lbs. By the way, she is wonderful. She has a great bedside manner, is very easy to talk to and will answer any questions you have. I had almost all of my other clearances done before I could get in to see her and had done a ton of research, as well. By the time I went for my initial consult, I had two pages, typed, single-spaced of questions. Since my band, I had her do my 1st hernia surgery and she is doing my 2nd one in a couple weeks. Anyhoo, good luck on your journey. You are in good hands!

Hi Joyce

I am a teacher and off for the summer, so I was really lucky that I got my approval in April so I could have surgery in the summer. Dr. Price did not put me on a diet, I was on a clear liquid diet the day before my surgery and only in the hospital overnight. This has not been bad so don't worry. I felt the same way you do , but everyone here helped with my questions. I am still on full liquid diet until Sunday and I think this must be the hardest part, looking forward to just chewing food.< /p>

DJK - yep I felt the same after the full liquids stage that I wanted something to chew - a piece of leather, anything.

Today is my 1 year Band-iversay. I am so happy. I have lost 50 pounds a gained 1 very large self esteem.

I do not regret the surgery,the difficult liquid stage, the fills, or the learning to eat less and feel full. I look fantastic and feel even better.

If you are struggling right now - hang in there and DO EXACTLY what you are told and it will work. If you try to cheat the system; you cheat yourself. You will be soooo glad you did.:)