Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Suffer From Chronic Loose Bowels Does Any One Else Have This Problem?

Since surgery have had nothing but loose bowels and nothing I do or eat helps.

Does any one have any suggestions of what they have done to over come this problem if they have had it.

Do you still have the problem and how do you deal with it?

Please give me some insight.

Since surgery have had nothing but loose bowels and nothing I do or eat helps. Does any one have any suggestions of what they have done to over come this problem if they have had it. Do you still have the problem and how do you deal with it? Please give me some insight.

Hi Chelly, sorry to hear what your experiencing. Have you spoken to your surgeon/dietician about what's happening? People can experience dumping syndrome after a bypass but that does not normally happen with everything you eat unless it all contains a lot of fat?

I've been the other way since surgery and been really constipated and only seem to get loose bowels if had a lot of yoghurt or cheese.

Since surgery have had nothing but loose bowels and nothing I do or eat helps. Does any one have any suggestions of what they have done to over come this problem if they have had it. Do you still have the problem and how do you deal with it? Please give me some insight.

Could be bile acid diarrhea. Sorry to be gross, but is it liquid and yellow? If so, ask your doctor for Questran. It is a bile acid sequestrant. Some people's bodies produce too much bile and it gets I to the intestine instead of being re absorbed. I have struggled with it for 6 months. I just had to have my gallbladder removed and my doctor said it might have been caused by an over active gallbladder or it might be even worse now because the bile will flow straight through. In either case, the Questran works really well even though it is a bit unpleasant, like drinking Metamucil.

I had this for 5 years after having the gallbladder removed. Since surgery (in October) my bowel movements have really firmed up. Too much, in my opinion.

I never bothered with medications, but that's because by the time I figured out what I thought it might be, this surgery was scheduled and I figured I should see how/if it would change. And sure enough, it changed! Sorry you're going through it. It is a bit uncomfortable to deal with although after 5 years of it I certainly had my coping strategies. Besides, it usually only happened in the morning after Breakfast, so my theory was that it was because I shocked my system back into working after a long night.

I'm obviously not a medical professional.

Good luck!

I have had loose stools since my surgery. It did not matter what I ate or did. I was going 4-7 times a day. I went to my surgeon and then a GI doc both said everything was normal. The GI doc gave me something called desperimine. It is a anti depressant, but docs quickly discovered that it slowed down the gut and gave most patients Constipation. I was in it for about 5 months. I have been off if it for 2 weeks and everything seems to be going well so far.

Please go to the doctor and let them help you.

Thank you all for your replies so far.

I have been touch with my surgeons office and my nutritionist and they have no idea what to do for me at this point.

They have tried a couple over the counter things but nothing has worked.

They have not tried any prescription meds at all to stop this and has not even suggested it.

I eat dairy and have no indication that it's bothering me by gas or cramping so I don't think it's that.

I do eat low fat diet now so I would say I'm not dumping either.

Once again thank you for your suggestions

Get a good probiotic.

Someone I know suggested something to me and I'm going to try it.

It's fresh Probiotics that you take every morning and you must keep it refrigerated.

I'm hoping this works for me.

Once again thank you for your suggestions.

I had the same problem until my doctor had me start on Probiotics but he also said to try going lactose free or at least take the lactaid drops. It seems to be working.

Of course try the easy stuff first (probiotics, going lactose free for a couple weeks). But if that doesn't worn please talk to your surgeon about bile acid diarrhea. It is very common but under-diagnosed. You can manage it by taking a (very cheap) medication called Questran, which binds excess bile acid. If the Questran doesn't work, that's not what you have and no big deal. I suffered with this for 6+ months (never had a normal poo since surgery) before finally finding out about bile acid diarrhea. I had been tested for everything including parasites, bacteria, lactose intolerance, celiac, had an endoscopy and colonoscopy, had an elimination diet, took very strong Probiotics for months. I just don't want you to go through all that.