Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Diet Rules

My surgery is scheduled for December 18th. I will be going in on December 6th for some preop testing and education. I know that I will have to do a liquid diet for one week before the surgery and one week after. However, I am a person who likes to plan ahead and it's killing me to wait for 2-3 weeks for the "education." So, I was wondering about other people's liquid diets. What are/were your "rules" or parameters? Can you drink as much liquid as you want or do you have calorie restrictions? Is it any liquid, or are there certain types they want you to avoid. Just curious...

Hi! Where are you getting banded? Dr wise? I've sent you a Pm, I'm in Louisville area. My dr has 2 choices.

2 weeks of Protein Shake diets bought from them (5 a day)

Or

2 weeks of 3 shakes and one high Protein low carb meal.

Good luck! I get banded Monday!

Did you choose the preop diet with the meal? It seems it would be nice to eat something. I answered your pm. Sometimes this site is kinda slow loading and giving notifications. Especially on my phone.

I keep trying to do full days of shakes but just can't do it. Hah. I end up doing one meal. Usually chicken and broccoli or salad. But I've been trying to be good. I take a bite here and there of bad stuff. Hah

I got banded two days ago. My preoperative diet was two weeks on liquid shakes (ordered from a medical company), day of surgery was Water only. It is good preparation for the drastic change coming...first three days were hard, but after three days the shakes began to work well. I was tossing a few pieces of frozen fruit in the blender with the shake to change the flavor around a bit.

Remember....the first four weeks are a healing process. ANY solid foods even if chewed up will make your stomach "shake" around to break it down further and move it along. This digestion process can break the new stitches and/or move the band!!!

Here is the list the hospital sent me home with:

Days 1-2 postoperative Clear liquids only (broth, black coffee, juice, Gatorade, crystal light) - total of 8 cups daily. You may find this part difficult. I only was able to get more than a cup of liquids down about 36 hours after the operation.

Days 3-14 postoperative FULL liquids - unsweetened juices, vegetable juice, tea, coffee, liquid smoothie (low fat low sugar), Skim milk, 1% chocolate milk, high Protein drinks, strained very liquid cream Soups. DO NOT USE A STRAW. This sucks in air which you do NOT need (is very uncomfortable).

DAY 3 1/2 cup servings 6 times a day (3 meals 3 snacks) total 3 cups, between meals 5.5 cups Water

DAY 4 Increase to 3/4 cup 6 times daily (3 meals 3 snacks) total 4.5 cups, between meals 5.5 cups water

Days 15-28 - pureed consistency is needed for two weeks - absolutely! Consistency like applesauce. low fat pudding, low fat yogurt (pureed if contains fruits), pureed Soup (with pureed Beans for added protein), pureed fruit with no added sugar; pureed vegetables, pureed stew, sheppard's pie, chili, spaghetti sauce, baked Beans, pureed mashed potatoes, pureed hot cereals. Add liquids such as milk, broth to make things more liquidy. 1 cup per meal 1/2 cup per snack

Day 28 - first fill - return to normal eating according to your tolerance. 3 meals 3 Snacks. Maximum amount consumed in one seating NOT MORE THAN ONE CUP compressed volume. Drink about 6 cups of water through the day in between meals and Snacks.< /p>

Never thought I would be saying it but..... tomorrow I can finally have a Protein Shake...mmmmmmm!!!

Every clinic will vary regarding the duration on each transitional phase, so please be guided by your surgeons preferences.

Meanwhile most clinics suggest a VLCD (very low calorie diet) to help shrink the liver. I have a presentation you may like to view at http://weightlosssurgerydiet.com.au/index.php/lap-band-diet/optifast-pre-surgery

Post surgery you will be on fluids. Details of what would constitute a Fluid, how to prepare them and how much to have and possible issues you may facead how to avoid them can be seen at http://weightlosssurgerydiet.com.au/index.php/lap-band-diet/fluids-post-surgery

When you begin to eat solid food, what to eat and all of the above details can be downloaded in a free ebook for you to read also.http://weightlosssurgerydiet.com.au/. This information is the first 30 pages of my book the Gastric Band Nutrition Essential. Certainly work taking full advantage of this.

All of the above information is very extensive that you can work through. But can I take you to what is most important? Please understand how the Lap band works, to then adjust to your new lifestyle post surgery to successfully get through all the dietary phases and not place pressure on the lap band.http://weightlosssurgerydiet.com.au/index.php/lap-band-surgery/6-lap-band-surgery-how-the-band-works Within this section, I also have a short video clip explaining the chewing exercise to prevent food blockages.

I actually present all of this information in a 60minute presentation for my clients pre-surgery. So please enjoy.

Any questions feel free to ask

Good luck

Helen Bauzon

I am third day out. I was restricted to Clear Liquids, only for 48 hours. I was allowed to transition to full liquids, today. A Protein Shake and a small bowl of Tomato Soup never tasted so lovely. :) I am planning to treat myself to a Sugar Free Chocolate pudding, tomorrow. Party! Day seven I can go to smushies like Cream of Wheat, mashed potatoes and so on. Yeah... :D

I have the same rules as you, icy one. Let me know how it goes. My surgery is tomorrow, so thinkingbabout the after stage :)

Good Luck tomorrow, Gardnergirl!

My Dr. did not specify any rules, nor did he state it must be liquid....what he did say was that I Must loose XX amount of weight by such and such a date, or he would postpone the surgery....(I had my final weight in on a Friday, surgery on Monday, last meal on saturday)

He did not care how I did it, as long as I did it......

Having said that, straight Protein shakes is the most efficient way to do it....as the NUT informed me...I did eat some solid food, but not much....maybe one small diet type of meal a day, and monitored my weight closley to make sure I did not screw it up...