Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Canadian Frustrations!

I'm from Alberta and found a surgeon in Quebec, paid the consultation fee for a telephone conference two weeks time. We'll today was the day and he didn't call! Booked time off work for this call to be private. Does this happen a lot? For appointments to be juggle around a lot? I'm a self paying Canadian that wants a sleeve in Canada :(

There are not many private surgeons in Canada, and even fewer bariatric surgeons. I have done A TON of homework and research, and have decided to go down to Mexico for my surgery. I know what you may be thinking - "surgery in Mexico is not safe", but that just isn't true. Yes, there are a few dodgy "surgeons" in Mexico, and even some good ones that are not quite as ethical as you may hope, however if you do your research, you will find that there are some amazing surgeons in Mexico that can provide an experience that is safe and maybe even better than what you would get in some places in Canada and the USA. Some of these surgeons perform two of three surgeries a day, were trained in the USA and have been surgeons for 20+ years. The work in private first-class hospitals which are fully licensed and staffed. I highly recommend you look into this option. But, keep in mind, you NEED TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK!! Do NOT select a surgeon based on price! Wishing you the all the best.

HI, I am also from Alberta, and I am considering the Mexico option. Have you made any decisions?

Hi canam60. I have going down for surgery to mexico on Jan 22nd, and can send you my thoughts about it afterwards if you would like. My suggestion - check out youtube videos. There are MANY vloggers who share their stories, including videos of their entire Mexico experience. Good luck on your decision!

I have narrowed it down to 2 places, WLSC and MBC, both in Tijuana.... DR Kelly, or DR Cabrera

I am in Saskatchewan and am having surgery with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico on Jan. 27th! :)

Sorry to hear that happened to you Amanda. I can't imagine your frustration and disappointment. Has he given you a reason as to why he never called?

MichelleMary, when do you fly in? I have surgery on the 22nd but don't leave until the 27th and will be in the hotel on the 26th! I'll be freshly post-op at that point. I think Dr. Aceves is the best choice of surgeon in Mexico. Wishing you all the best!

Hi Tim! That is so exciting!!! I am flying in on the 26th. I've been researching for months upon months and am very confident in Dr. Aceves as a surgeon. I always swore I would NEVER go to Mexico, that is until I found out about Dr. A. I would love to meet you when I am there. Where are u from?

Yes, I felt the same.... didn't want to go to Mexico until I found Dr. A.

Where I'm from... kinda complicated question. I live a rotation of two months in Vancouver, BC, and then four months on a cruise ship (cruise ship employee). I fly home on the 18th, spend two days at home, and then fly out to Mexico for my surgery. It's going to be crazy, but I'm so excited!

Not sure if you have a WLS Facebook account or not but if you don't, I highly suggest that you create one. Feel free to add me if you want. (Timzor Canada). There are a bunch of amazing people out there to meet and get info from. YouTube is also a FANTASTIC resource.

Hello. You do realize that alberta health care now covers bariatric surgery. You need a referral tithe bariatric clinic. There's one in Medicine Hat. I got my physician to refer me in June and I am booked for surgery jan 21/14. No cost other than travel. They do sleeve and bypass there. I was glad to find this out because I had actually borrowed the money to to great falls and have it done. The bariatric clinic has dietitians, therapists and nurses all at your disposal. It's a great place. Anyways I hope this may help and possibly save you some money.

• I was under the impression that you had to have a higher BMI and there was a long wait and other hoops...

Not such a long wait. Initial appt in August and my surgery is January. Not that many hoops. Worth it to look into it. I was looking at $15000 in great falls. Glad I waited.

I had my surgery in TJ, MX. It was an amazing experience. I'd sooner do it there than Great Falls.