Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hey everyone,

so I was banded in 2010. I actually tried in 2009, ran into some complications, so i went back in 2010 for my official surgery. At my heaviest, i was 370+ lbs, and i never went into this surgery with the mindset I wanted to be skinny. I actually dont mind being a plus size women, but a healthy one was my goal.

By the end of 2010, I had reached my goal of 250 lbs. I felt good, looked good, and was doing well. i maintained that wright loss for about 2 1/2 yrs and then desired to get to 225. i didnt want another fill, I think Im at 7cc's (or whatever you call then) because I didnt want to be completely dependant on the band, but just wanted a little push in the right direction.

In the middle of 2012 i decided to join WW and lost 10 lbs by the end of the year. I felt great.

then 2013 happened. :-(

this year alone I have put on the 10 lbs I lost, plus another 19. i weighed in today at 269.4. I cant believe how much weight ive gained.

I know it was the movie Snacks, greasy dinners, many visits to cheesecake factory with my friends. as well as my love for cupcakes and cake and pop corn, and my need to always have something sweet after a meal.

I turned 30 this yr and around my bday I had got back down to 256ish (was weighing around 261 at the time)...during the summer, but the lbs came right back plus more.

Ive also added stressors to my life...i started a master's program this fall, and it just seems to hard to focus on work, school and weight loss. But this is out of control...all I do is stare at my belly and try not to get depressed.

Ive thought about getting a fill, but Im afraid my band is somewhere hidden under my stretched out stomach and they wont be able to find it. Plus, it can be a traumatizing experience have a huge needle stuck through your stomach...and lets pray they dont hit scare tissue....its happened before!

But Im hoping and praying I can get focused...and the holidays are coming which adds to my anxiety and fear of gaining more weight.

if anyone can relate...please reply....

It sounds like you're way past due for a check in with your bariatric surgeon. If I were in your shoes, I'd make an appointment and discuss all this with him. That's his job. It's especially important to utilize his expertise when you're struggling so you can get back on track.

I don't know if you need another fill, but I do know the foods you speak of being problematic likely won't be deterred by a fill anyway. Cakes, greasy food, and deserts in general tend to be slider foods for most people. That means even if you do have adequate Fluid in your band they're going to go right through as if there's no restriction at all. I know it's a struggle, but it's up to you make good food choices and stick to band sized portions. The band is a great tool but only if you use it correctly.

I'd make an appointment with your surgeon, start tracking your calories, and even make an appointment with your nutritionist too.

Best wishes.

Ok. I am there with you. Got my band Aug 2011, lost 45 lbs then maintained for a year. I went back to the doc and did liquids for 2 weeks lost 6 lbs and then gained back. I have an appt for a fill in 4 weeks and need to get under control. I too love the sliders!

My doc won't see anyone unless they are having complications and no band support groups. Maybe we can help each other. A buddy system?

I too know it's a tool and I need to make better choices. We just got to finish this journey. I'm here for you.

thanks for the support...Im definitely down for a buddy system...I know I need to make better choices...which I do...but Im human and have moments of weakness.

I know I will get it together...and I think rejoining this site is the first step.

Mis hit the nail in the head.... Get back to the dr pronto to get on track. You must need a fill if you are able to eat the foods you mentioned.. But before you do that... Decide if you are going to commit to this journey. Because unless you follow the Drs orders a fill won't be the cure all.

I would think you wanted it bad enough to get banded so why not see it through? You are ahead oft he game Best of luck!

Having the band isn't the answer. For me, I still love the sweets and things also. I do weigh myself almost every week to make sure I'm not climbing up the scale again. I was banded May 2012 and I'm down about 70 pounds but it's been slow now. I could easily gain and I know it. But, I think about how much better I feel and get back on track. You can do it. Go see the dr. Weight loss is a rough road for all of us!!!

I was banded April 19th 2013! I lost 23lbs from the pre-op diet and the first weeks after surgery. I ended up with stomach flu 3 days after surgery and had to have the 2cc put in my 10cc band during surgery removed. I went back 2 weeks later and had it put back in. I had my first official fill the end of October and my weight was the same at that appt. Since then I have been stuffing my face with chocolate, and cakes and sweets which I normally didn't crave. I always liked the salty foods, chips, breads, French fries etc.... I am struggling big time and I am extremely nervous about the upcoming Holidays. The head hunger is horrible and I am now having a hard time knowing if it is head hunger or real hunger.... I go in for a fill tomorrow. I have a lot of health issues and am on a lot of meds so that doesn't help. I HATE exercise except walking and it is now winter in my rural town. I am so scared this isn't going to work for me!!! It is almost like I have a mental block to succeed. So I feel ya big time!!!!! Support groups are over two hours away and I do feel that I need one!!!! Good luck to you and please know you are not alone!!!!!

I've only had the band for 3 years...within that time the weight steadily came off until I reached the point where there is simply no excess weight left to loose, and my body fat % is excellent...any additional weight loss would be unhealthy....protein lost....

I say that because, during that journey the band dictated what I can, and cannot eat.....the band prevented me from eating portions to large....the band took away my hunger and cravings....in other words, it was all because of the band that I was successful....

In the beginning, when I would struggling, etc, I always asked my self why is the band not doing what it was designed to do??

And when the band was finally doing it , I then realized I needed to adjust myself and some personal habits in order for the band to continue to work....or else I would get stuck, sometimes 3-4 times a day...which inflamed the band preventing me from keeping anything down...a vicious cycle.....I did not blame the band, I blamed myself....eventually, withing 6 months from surgery...everything then started to run smooth and effortless as can be...true Green Zone Lifestyle!!

I read posts here everyday from people saying they have been banded, and either they had very little weight loss, or lost weight and gained it back, fell off the wagon, need to get back on track..etc, etc.....

This is just from my experience, but all those terms and mind sets are diet talk!! I used them, and been there 100's of time over the past 30 years....

So, having failed at dieting...I had SURGERY!!! NO MORE DIET TALK for me....I find it impossible to fathom how I could ever gain any weight back....I cannot see how I could fall off the wagon...or need to get back on track....It's NOT ME!! IT'S the BAND!!! and the only way any of that could happen would be for something to happen to the band.....otherwise.

So if I should ever find myself in that group, I would immediately be asking "What happened to the Band?" "What Changed"

I focused on getting the band working as me and my Dr felt is should in the beginning. He has a large Yellow-Green-Red Chart on the wall and from day one he stated "THIS" is our goal, "THIS" is where I want you to be..... and today I am focused on the continuing working of he band....the band sets the parameters, everyday, 24 hrs a day....I simply conformed to it...

So much for my morning rant....but I will finish with this thought...WHY DID YOU HAVE SURGERY????

For me, it was because it was a last resort, to accomplish something I could never do on my own....and success happened when I learned to let go, and let the Band do it's job....

Now I could get some Fluid taken out, which will let me eat some foods I have not had in 3 years, which would let me eat larger portions more often, which would let me gain the weight back...

"WHY DID I HAVE the SURGERY" if ghat's what I'm going to do....then I would be saying I need to get back on track...I need to get back on the wagon.....No, I need to get the band back to working where it is most efficient....

B 52 is correct about the diet talk. We have to keep on the ball and use the band as a tool. If I did not go to OA to work on my mind hunger and all the stuff that could cause me to overeat the band would not work for me. The band only works in my stomach. The brain and the spirit do the rest.