Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bmi 35 - Any Business Getting Surgery?

Hello, I am 6' 260 with a bmi of 35 and considering VSG. I've heard a lot of different opinions as to whether I have any business even having surgery to lose 75lbs. Early this year I was able to get down to 235 from 275 but most of it is back. I am able to keep my blood sugar and cholesterol at tolerable levels by eating less than 40g carbs per day but if I go off this plan they both go up into bad ranges. What are your thoughts?

BMI of 35 is categorized as morbidly obese, and I think surgery is a solid option if it's the right choice for you personally. Of course you have "business" to utilize whatever options are out there to lose weight and get healthier. There are lots of folks who get this surgery with a BMI of less than 40. Some insurance companies will cover VSG if you are a 35 BMI or higher with a co-morbidity. Do you have diabetes or sleep apnea?

What pre-ops need to understand most of all is VSG is a tool. It can be a very important tool, but it's no magic cure. The sleeve helps me eat a lot less at once, but it doesn't do much to stop me from grazing/snacking all day. I need to stop me from snacking. So you still have to exercise great self-control over your eating especially after a few months post-op. You also need to exercise as much as your body can handle. It gets harder the further out you get. But I lost 72 lbs in about 6 months. Could I have done that without surgery? I highly doubt it.

Wishing you the best of luck, whatever you decide.

It is a valid question, and I'm sure you will get a wide spectrum of answers and opinions. I think if you asked me a year ago before i was sleeved, my first instinct would be that you "only" need to lose 75lbs and this is a drastic step to make. My thoughts on this have greatly changed. I wish I had gotten sleeved earlier. I put on/took off/ put on that same 75lbs many, many times. Each time was harder than the last to take off and it never lasted. I am sure I did long term harm to my body by this yo yo dieting. And it was NEVER sustainable for me.

That being said, it is a choice between you and your doctor. It is only a tool, and the commitment to it doesn't change no matter how much we have to lose. I think its great you are asking these questions, I wish you great luck in whatever you choose!! None of us walk in the other's shoes. You need to do what is best for you and your health going forward.

Ugh.. I'm Sorry.. I did not realize this was in the Man's Room when I responded.

Edited by JerseyGirl68

Let me qualify my statement with the fact that I'm not sleeved...yet. I will be soon and I regret that I wasn't years ago because I have spent more years of my life not doing the things that I want to do because of my slowly-but-continuously increasing weight.

That being said, on one hand - sitting here today at 435 I'd LOVE to weigh 260 - at this point in my life I would be happy if I got to that weight and never got below it so I would say getting sleeved at such a "low weight" is a little drastic. But on the other hand I can remember being continuously pissed off in High School because I could never seem to get below 268 no matter what I did. I think ultimately the answer lies in you with some input from your doctor...if you don't have any health issues aside from being obese and can commit to changing some eating habits and making time to work out FOR LIFE without it then I'd say go for it...on the other hand if you need a little help and understand that the sleeve doesn't do it for you then I'd say go for it ASAP!

The one thing I'd tell anyone that struggles with weight is to lose it as soon as it becomes a problem by any non destructive means necessary! I regret so much of my life because of what i have lost by being heavy over weight. You only live once! If you need some help get it - don't be here 6 years from now wishing you would have.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide...

I think it is certainly an option. My opinion is that you should give 100% to losing it and then keeping I it off. If you can't succeed then why wait. The sooner you lose the weight the better your health will be. I'm 6' 267 and was sleeved last week. However I was 296 when I decided to do it.

Hello, I am 6' 260 with a bmi of 35 and considering VSG. I've heard a lot of different opinions as to whether I have any business even having surgery to lose 75lbs. Early this year I was able to get down to 235 from 275 but most of it is back. I am able to keep my blood sugar and cholesterol at tolerable levels by eating less than 40g carbs per day but if I go off this plan they both go up into bad ranges. What are your thoughts?

We're in pretty similar situations. I weigh about 250 with a bmi of 35. I've been as high as 275 and when really focused on a diet for a few months can get down to 225. Loosing weight is a huge struggle for me and it's really depressing when it starts coming back on. I'm turning 40 next year and decided that I don't want to be doing the same routine for the next 20 years. Also, the weight is starting to be tougher to deal with as the years pass -- my blood pressure was creeping up, colesterol is now high and treated with meds, etc. I'm not going to lie, this surgery process doesn't seem easy, but neither is walking around everyday with a 75 pound weight tied to your back. My surgery date is this Monday, I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you guys for all your input. It sounds like a lot of you are in similar situations as I am. After a lot of thought I decided I will be proceeding with the surgery. After finding my junk CDHP out of pocket costs will end up costing the same as me going to Mexico as a self pay, I decided to book the surgery with Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana and will be heading down there in March.

I am scheduled for gastric sleeve surgery Thursday Dec 12th. I'm 'only' 55-60 pounds overweight and the number has just been increasing no matter what I've done with diet, etc etc. My diabetes is out of control, I have peripheral neuropathy, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, asthma, so much it's tough to keep track of. This surgery is for my health, the weight loss will be a side benefit. Once I was diagnosed with diabetes and neuropathy, the medications and additional ailments have continued to escalate. I actually had to 'gain' 3 lbs to reach the proper BMI. Yet looking at my pictures I am grossly obese and have the same kinds of feelings that someone weighs 100 lbs more than I. We're in this together, yet our reasons are individual. I can't listen to what other people are telling me I should or shouldn't be doing. I'll look forward to see how you're doing in the weeks and months to come.

I just noticed 'family guy' was scheduled for surgery today. I'm sure all went well and I'll be thinking of you for the next few days. My surgery is this Thursday and I'm frankly on the plus side of nervous. However I have great confidence in my Doc (Dr Greg Jossart) and I've also heard good things about the Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose. Keep us in touch 'family guy' and let's us know how you're doing.

I just noticed 'family guy' was scheduled for surgery today. I'm sure all went well and I'll be thinking of you for the next few days. My surgery is this Thursday and I'm frankly on the plus side of nervous. However I have great confidence in my Doc (Dr Greg Jossart) and I've also heard good things about the Good Samaritan Hospital in San Jose. Keep us in touch 'family guy' and let's us know how you're doing.

Paul -- Thanks for checking in on me!

Surgery was actually on Monday November 25th and went off without a hitch. Monday (day zero) was kind of a blur -- definitely felt some pain but morphine helped. Tuesday I felt OK enough to go home from hospital (still with a little pain). Wed was much better and by the evening I stopped taking the Narcotic meds. I was off Tylenol by Friday and completely out of pain. Back to work (office job) the following Monday with no problems.

My energy level is really high and I'm already feeling better head to toe. Believe it or not, I sometimes forget that I had the surgery, except when it comes time for eating. Seriously, my capacity is low -- 3 - 4oz's of Protein shake and I'm stuffed as if I just had a big steak dinner. That's strange.

I'm on 600 - 700 calories a day and never (not once since surgery) have felt hungry. I've been to and even hosted a party at my house. I drink Isopure (red flavor) on the rocks with a slice of lime and everyone thinks it's a vodka / cranberry. No one even notices.

Oh and I'm down to 231 from a pre op of 250. Looking forward to getting off Protein shakes and onto regular food -- not hunger, just boredom.

Paul -- good luck with your surgery!

Edited by familyguy

Yep, I'd do it! Wish I had done it 50 lbs ago!!!