Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would like to get lapband removed

Hello all!

I have a few q's. I would like to get my lapband removed and I would love to talk with any of you on here who have had it done.

I am in Michigan, and I had my lapband put on in 2003 by Dr. Sanchez in Monterray, MX. I would like to get my band removed in the U.S. I was wondering if anyone had insurance cover this? If so, specifically what type of insurance do you have and where did you go? I was self-pay to get the band, but it causes me a lot of pain and discomfort while eating, and I want it removed.

I fear maybe it has slipped or something because I have no Fluid in it, and it still takes a long time to eat veggies and carrots specifically get caught in my throat. Sometimes it hurts to eat and many times it takes longer than normal.

Mainly, I have discovered I have an eating disorder, and I have been abstinent for 2 years and now I want to get this band removed.

Also......could any of you tell me about the removal procedure and how much it costs? How long were you out of commission?

Thanks-

Nicole

Recovering anorexic, compulsive overeater, and compulsive exerciser

Some insurances will cover removal if it is an emergency. Others will not. It depends on the way the coverage is written. I am looking into skin reduction and I may have to self pay, if so any complications are my responsibility. If there is no coverage for the proceedure then there is no coverage for aftercare/complications. You need to contact a band surgeon and they will contact the insurance company, possibly before your appointment to verify coverage. Are you considering another form of WLS? Best of luck to you. ~Mandy

Nicole,

My suggestion is to start with making an appt. with a lap-band surgeon. They've seen cases like you and will know what to do with proper coding for your insurance to pay!

Good luck!

I have Regence Blue Shield Select Network plan and they do NOT cover lap band removal, however, there are other Regence plans that DO cover removal. I am going to be paying $12,000 to have mine removed here in the US. I think there are other doctors that are cheaper in the US, but I decided not to go with the lowest bidder, so to speak.

My doctor is going to send all my stuff through my insurance company anyway and see on the off chance if there's any part of it they will cover, but it's not looking likely.

Here's another suggestion I heard - see if your doctor can perform another surgery at the same time as the band removal and only charge you for that portion of it. For example, my doctor has done hernia repairs at the same time for other patients and the insurance paid for that part. It dropped the out of pocket expense for the patient by quite a bit.

Hi Nicole,

I am in the same situation, I want my band removed, it causes pain and discomfort alot. I am going to Dr Pleatman in Bloomfield Hills, MI, my band is being removed on April 26th and my Blue Cross Blue Shield is covering the removal. I hope this helps and if you ever want to talk let me know!

Melinda

Hi Nicole, It is great that you are offering to help someone out. If I were you though I probably would not post my cell phone number on a public board on the internet. Probably best to do it via pm, if you feel you must give it out.

All the best

Susannah

Nicole, you can edit the post to remove your number. It can be searched on any search engine. Just be aware that this is public domain. You can PM your number to any member of this forum if you need help with that or any other forum information feel free to ask. ~Mandy

As you're in Michigan, try Dr. Pleatman. He has really great self-pay rates as he's negotiated a deal with the hospital (POH). Also, a very experienced surgeon. He was going to remove my Band and do a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy at the same time for around $12K. BUT, I've had to put that on hold as I'm preggers again.

Hello all!

I have a few q's. I would like to get my lapband removed and I would love to talk with any of you on here who have had it done.

I am in Michigan, and I had my lapband put on in 2003 by Dr. Sanchez in Monterray, MX. I would like to get my band removed in the U.S. I was wondering if anyone had insurance cover this? If so, specifically what type of insurance do you have and where did you go? I was self-pay to get the band, but it causes me a lot of pain and discomfort while eating, and I want it removed.

I fear maybe it has slipped or something because I have no Fluid in it, and it still takes a long time to eat veggies and carrots specifically get caught in my throat. Sometimes it hurts to eat and many times it takes longer than normal.

Mainly, I have discovered I have an eating disorder, and I have been abstinent for 2 years and now I want to get this band removed.

Also......could any of you tell me about the removal procedure and how much it costs? How long were you out of commission?

Thanks-

Nicole

Recovering anorexic, compulsive overeater, and compulsive exerciser

It sounds like you need an UGI xray to verify if the band has slipped. The xray should be covered by insurance. They could just bill it with a generic dx such as abdominal pain or reflux.

Then if you do have a complication related to the band you need to read the fine print in your insurance benefits booklet. Some will say they won't cover complications from surgeries that were not covered originally. However, some will cover complications.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Just a question for some who is in the process of approval- Did you lose weight with your band? Was it worth it? I would like to hear both sides of the story. I wish you luck!

For me the band was not worth the physical pain, shame, and discomfort I have felt about the band itself. I have had a difficult time eating since I got the band, and I finally admitted to myself after a year and a half with it that I had an eating disorder. I wanted to lose weight, however inside I was dying and I was using food for comfort. So when I thought losing weight would be the answer, it was a decision based on the idea that "if I look better I'll feel better." Not true. We feel confident when we take care of ourselves and look healthy and beautiful, however that is a daily task that requires much more than a number on the scale or my body size. Emotionally, physically, and spiritually I must love and respect myself.

I think getting the band was a drastic measure on my part. I got frustrated with eating slow and not being able to eat what I wanted and I reverted to eating sugary and snacky foods all the time partly because it went down my stomach easier. I even smoked weed partly so I could calm down, and then eat easier. (when I was sober I was more tense, and my band would be tight feeling)

I think anyone thinking of getting this band should see a therapist and explore their issues with eating for at least 3 months first. If at that time you determine you have healthy motives and still want to move forward, I would proceed.......however I think probably many people with the band have deeper reasons for their out of control eating and weight gain.

Take care-

Nicole V.*

recovering anorexic, compusive exerciser and compulsive eater