Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nurses As Bariatric Patients

Has anyone else noticed how many users on this site have "nurse" or "RN" in our usernames? Ehy do you think that is?

Maybe because they are nurses. And maybe they are proud that they work in the medical field. Maybe they have experience in healthcare regarding recovery of the sleeve. Maybe they know more then the rest of us.

But when I was in the hospital recovering from my surgery trouble. Not one nurse on the floor had any idea of what happened to me... As I stayed there 5 months they soon learned. They were first horrified that I had the surgery but then realized that it was the best for me and they helped me beyond anything I could have hoped for...The LPN's were also a great help. Cleaning staff and Drs.

My surgeon told me that no nurses ever asked him any questions about the procedure until I was a patient. He was thrilled with the change and was going to set up some classes for those who asked the questions....

If I did not have the support from the entire staff..I don't know whether I would have recovered....

The head nurse however was a rude, ignorant twit...I will never forget her joy in screaming at me because she could...I was not able to retaliate at that time...She was the only problem I had that should never have happened!!!!

I also have the "RN" in my user name. I am proud to be a nurse, but not too proud to admit I jeopardized my own health by becoming overweight throughout the years.

For me ,too many long 12 hour( plus) shifts meant skipping meals because I was too busy for a break, but then only too overeat at home.I also rationalized that I was too tired too exercise. We are trained to educate our patients about health maintenance , but often ignore our own advice.

When I decided to take on WLS, I probed medical journals ( ANA/AMA) , docs, surgeons and nutritionists. In some ways, I had to really look hard at VSG because my only experience with that patient population was the people who had significant problems. ( like RJ had).

I believe being a nurse can give a person some credibility on forums. We combine scientific knowledge with an empathic ear. It doesn't hurt that gross bodily sounds, smells or functions don't faze us!

I think I should clarify my question. Does it seem like nurses make up an unusually large portion of the bariatric community? If so, why? I just noticed that so many people on this site have nurse or RN in their username (myself included). Maybe it's just that we wear our credentials as a badge of honor so it seems like we have higher representation on this site, as opposed to other professions. Or maybe we really do have an obesity problem as a group. I know that several of my coworkers have had some type of bariatric surgery. What do you guys think?

I think I should clarify my question. Does it seem like nurses make up an unusually large portion of the bariatric community? If so, why? I just noticed that so many people on this site have nurse or RN in their username (myself included). Maybe it's just that we wear our credentials as a badge of honor so it seems like we have higher representation on this site, as opposed to other professions. Or maybe we really do have an obesity problem as a group. I know that several of my coworkers have had some type of bariatric surgery. What do you guys think?

I don't think that your question needs restating! I think like anyone else on this forum or in reality obesity is among every part of society....Your not an enigma or rare...But you have experienced what janetPRN said. Patients who have had serious complications with the sleeve or others who need medical attention. So you do know the issues of health and your right..When I was in the hospital there were several over weight people including cleaning staff and even Doctors..oh yes Doctors...

I will not reply to your saying that you wear your credentials as a badge of honor... as we have a different opinion about the medical profession.....

There are every walk of life on this forum..And even though you might have an edge on the medical parts of it..There is nothing like being the person who experiences it all....

I learned a lot by living it and reading and studying it.....That is the greatest knowledge I feel......

I don't have RN in my name for the simple fact that I don't want people to think that I think " I'm better than them", however if I see RN in a person's name and they seem nice I may reply to their dialogue and point out that I'm a nurse as well. I find that a lot of nurses do seem to be bariatric patients for the same reasons as noted in a previous reply...... We are a selfless profession... Constantly worrying about others needs and neglect our own... Don't have time to eat Breakfast, then you're ravenously hungry when you eat lunch at 330pm ( forcing you to eat terribly) then you get home at 8:00 and eat something terrible ( quick and usually something you pick up on the way home from work). We're not even going to talk about the unhealthy treats brought in by family members to snack on throughout the day... Lol. I feel as though being a nurse helps one to choose a doctor for surgery based on experience ( I work in the hospital my dr practices at) I also feel as though nurses are realistic people, medically speaking.

1) this study says a lot

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/study-finds-55-percent-nurses-overweight-obese/story?id=15472375

Researchers at the University of Maryland's School of Nursing found that 55 percent of the 2,103 female nurses they surveyed were obese, citing job stress and the effect on sleep of long, irregular work hours as the cause.

The study, which measured obesity using estimates of body mass index, found that nursing schedules affected not only the health of the nurses but the quality of patient care.

"Health care professionals are often involved in providing advice or care to patients that relates to things that aren't totally under control in their own lives. It's not uniform for health care professionals to eat well or avoid tobacco," said Dr. David Katz, the director of the Yale University Prevention Research Center.

Keith-Thomas Ayoob, associate professor at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, said nurses are just as susceptible to health problems as the rest of society.

"Before we were health professionals, we were real people. Just because we became health professionals doesn't mean we stopped being members of regular society with all the problems that go along with it. It illustrates that knowledge alone isn't always enough to produce behavioral changes," said Ayoob.

The same is true with smoking, Ayoob said.

"We all know smoking is bad. It doesn't matter if you're a doctor or a nurse or a plumber. You might postulate that your interest in health would be higher if you were a health professional, but a lot of doctors and nurses smoke," said Ayoob.

"Nurses need to understand the importance of taking care of themselves before patients or their families," Ayoob said.

To combat the high obesity rate among nurses, Kihye Han, the author of the study, proposed more education on good sleep habits, and better strategies for adapting work schedules. She also called for napping at work to curb sleep deprivation, reduce fatigue and increase energy.

The 2004 National Sample Survey of Registered Nurses found that more than 40 percent of nurses who left nursing said they did so because of irregular and long hours, indicating that better scheduling could help nurse retention.

Han also proposed increasing making healthy food more available, and allowing enough time to consume it.

For instance, Han recommends on-site farmer's markets to serve health care workers who work nonstandard hours, healthier vending machine choices or having food delivered to the work unit.

"There's an awful lot conspiring against weight control in nurses. The solutions are ... giving the nurses the knowledge and skills they need to manage their weight, and environmental reforms, like having opportunities for physical activity breaks in hospitals, and having nutritious food options readily available 24 hours a day," Katz said.

"Nurses, who dedicate themselves to helping others," said Katz, "deserve that support from us."

2) I think that, by nature and training, we nurses are more apt to do extensive research before having any procedure done. Maybe doing all this extra research is what leads us to this site and helps us to find each other.

Interesting post. My mom is a nurse and nurse advocate, and she was initially shocked by the idea of the surgery. (She's not in a hospital any more.) But as the weeks have passed I know that she's done some research on her own and she is now pretty helpful and probably knows more than the average person. She also was one of my callers early on urging me to hydrate and walk.

My sister had a different kind of surgery over the summer and didn't tell our mom because she didn't want the NurseMom voice dogging her recovery. I find it comforting now.

Perhaps medical professionals are more comfortable with surgery as an obesity treatment and/or have better access to the surgery? I know since my band and eventual RNY we've had several nurses asking about it....

Just a thought :)

It made me feel better that one of the nurses in the hospital that took care of me, had the VSG WLS. She was around my stats, too. It made me feel good that she knew what I was feeling. I wasn't alone, when my family wasn't able to be with me.

I am also a nurse and agree with JanetPRN, Aaliyanah and the study. It has been difficult balance. For me the long busy days that are mostly on your feet makes it difficult to exercise before or after work. Especially with the plantar fasciitis I developed from work. Also at my job we cannot keep any food or drink at the workstation. Often times while on your break, you are interrupted and do not get to finish. I feel like I'm always eating on the run. I also feel the pressure of being a better example for my patients. How can I instruct a patient on diet and exercise? For the record, it took me a long time to decide to have this surgery. Most of my colleagues including myself do not want any type of surgery because you know too much. I am not having the surgery where I work because I wanted to maintain my privacy and also release control over to someone else. Whatever the reason, occupation, etc. I wish everyone well.

I'm another nurse that had wls. I know quiet a few other nurses who have had wls as well. The hours, the grab and go whatever was quick, the stress..all of those things kinda made it harder.

I think I felt more comfortable deciding on wls because of the high rate of success. I would sometimes speak with bariatric patients as well and loved to hear their views and just the difference that was made in their lives. For me I knew I wasn't setting a wonderful example for not only my family but also my patients. I've always cared for others and very rarely cared for myself. I knew that had to stop or the train wreck health issues I had starting up would continue to spiral out of control.

I am not having the surgery where I work because I wanted to maintain my privacy and also release control over to someone else. Whatever the reason, occupation, etc. I wish everyone well.

I felt differently, I had the surgery where I worked because I knew the surgeon's work ( low rate of complication, caring bedside manner, more than competent practice etc) and the floor which we send the bariatric post ops is the floor I used to work on ( before I became a float nurse) and I know all the nurses are above excellent, and also the comfort of knowing that they'll take even better care of them because I'm "one of their own"... U know? I had a great experience and am very thankful for that because this is scary and life changing. I wish you we'll too MtAirygirl!! When is your date?

I had mine done at my hospital as well, strictly because I get a discount with them... (I'm a PA). The CNA that had me Monday-Thursday during the day was actually one of my patients :D it was awkward for about 3 seconds, but we laughed about it and she took great care of me. But I'm not particularly a private person, I pretty much tell anyone that asks anything they want to know.

I am having surgery where I work because many of my coworkers that have had the sleeve spoke very highly of the surgeon. I am not concerned about privacy because I work on maternity so no one on the bariatric floor knows me. However, I'm not really telling any coworkers except the ones that have had the sleeve.

I am currently doing my 2 week preop diet which is basically just 1200 calories/day, then liquids for the last 2 days and it's really hard working 12 hour nights. There is constantly food around from patients and coworkers, especially on night shift because we have limited cafeteria hours. I'm really nervous about coming to work after surgery, even though I know that I won't jeopardize the integrity of my sleeve by eating things that I shouldn't.

Also, one of the reasons that I am having this surgery is because I am starting a nurse practitioner program in January and I don't want to feel like a hypocrite when I advise my patients on making healthy lifestyle choices. I am really excited, but also increasingly nervous as my date looms on 11/25.