Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tom Woes....

So I have noticed that as I lose more and more weight and have been exercising really hard, my TOM is completely out of whack. I have always been regular but now my counting doesn't seem to jive at all....I start spotting when I think it's time and then nothing for a day or two and then more spotting and finally the main event.

During this time I am irritable, my anxiety is way up, I am craving things I don't normally eat etc. etc.

Maybe I need more protien? Could the weight loss and exercise be the culprit? I feel like crap during this crazy on again-off again relationship with my uterus...ugh!

I'm waiting for Aunt Flo as we speak and hoping she comes soon. My husband had a vasectomy so please don't go there about a possible pregnancy.

Just needed to VENT!

I was told the weight loss can really effect your hormone levels thus your period. Mine was completely out of whack for quite awhile, especially when I was losing quickly at the beginning. In fact, even being on the pill didn't regulate it.

Now, it's pretty close to normal again. It took some time though.

A friend of mind started training for a mud run and had a similar thing happen to her. She had the spotting like you mentioned but not the real deal. The doctor told her that the spotting WAS her period for that month. Her body was just adjusting to the new routine. Check with your doc, jjust to make sure.

It does happen to some women, its called ammenorhea....spell check that, lol. It can be brought on by excessive exercise, low body fat, stress etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/secondary-amenorrhea/

Here's a NY times article that explains some causes, symptoms etc. It happens to some girls in basic training, WLS and people training for big sports events. Hope this helps. Btw, I don't know how to paste a link so you probably have to copy and paste the address to find this.

Oh my, I believe I posted the link lol

Thanks for the support! Just getting used to things I guess =0)

It was explained to me that fat stores estrogen, and as we lose fat our bodies start using the estrogen sometimes the body knows how to handle it, and sometimes it doesn't. I know that when I was first banded it took me about 6 months to get straightened out.It might be worth talking to your ob-gyn and see if they have any suggestions. Mine put me on Depo, and after 6 weeks of spotting I didn't have another TOM until I stopped the shot 3 years later.