Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain On Roof Of Mouth

I have had a strange occurrence happen twice in the past week. The first time it happened, I was eating scrambled eggs with sautéed onions. I was having difficulty getting this food down because my band is always VERY tight for my first meal of the day. Then I started feeling pain on the roof of my mouth and when I touched it with my tongue, the roof was swollen and tender. This happened instantly. I thought I was having an allergic reactions because the onion was on its last leg so I stopped eating. Then the swelling went down and the pain went away. I never thought any else of it. WELL, I just drank some Water and I used a straw so some air went down too and it took some time for the air buddies to surface and the water to go down. The pain/swelling in the roof of my mouth just happened again! And it went away as soon as the water went down. I have had my band for over a year now and this has NEVER happened. I have an appointment next week but I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this or has any more information.

You are overstimulating the vagus nerves that runs alongside the esophagus and is already stimulated by the band's restriction. When you overstimulate a nerve it can cause symptoms in any area of the body that nerve innervates. Examples include hiccups because it innervates the diaphragm, shoulder pain because it innervates the lungs, and your oral symptoms because a) it innervates the larynx/pharynx and B) these areas are innervated by the glossopharyngeal nerve and these two nerves are playing tag...creating the painful sensation in your palate.

When you can start predicting tightness patterns in your band, its best to eat according to that schedule. You do that by either delaying Breakfast after rehydrating and exercising your stoma through drinks (I recommend hot drinks). Or eating foods that can pass much easier than eggs for instance.

Also avoid habits that induce this kind of pain like drinking from a straw, too large bites, fast eating etc.

I would definitely let your doc know to start a history with him in case these solutions do not remedy the problem.

Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense. I usually do eat according to my band patterns. I have a hot drink 1st thing in the morning and a Protein Shake for Breakfast. I am trying to eat following more of a paleo lifestyle, which frowns on anything processed, and that is why I tried the eggs. But lesson learned. I usually don't have a problem with straws, in fact, they help me drink more and get in my daily requirement. I appreciate the scientific explanation, it helps me to better understand my body's reaction.

I'm a straw drinker as well, but have never had issues with air entrapment. But I am mindful enough to suck up Fluid into the straw and exhale before starting my sipping...<shrugs> may or may not help haha

eggs are tricky sometimes. I always cook them sunny side up to make them less dense. I also find that if I mix things like Tomato or spinach it sometimes makes it easier to pass and better tasting at that :)

Good luck :)

Hi I new I have the same problem I have my lap band place in August 12, 2008 and had went down to 165 pounds and to now had to different pregnancy and have not been able to loss the weigth back and this last Prego I lost 30 pounds now I am 237 and can't go down any more I have got already 3 un fills last month now I am not lossing or gaining and the same like you I can't eat in the morning but by lunch time i am able to eat i am just waiting for after thanksgiving see how it goes and i might try liquid diet for a couple a weeks see how it goes. But i am getting frustrated.

Hi I new I have the same problem I have my lap band place in August 12, 2008 and had went down to 165 pounds and to now had to different pregnancy and have not been able to loss the weigth back and this last Prego I lost 30 pounds now I am 237 and can't go down any more I have got already 3 un fills last month now I am not lossing or gaining and the same like you I can't eat in the morning but by lunch time i am able to eat i am just waiting for after thanksgiving see how it goes and i might try liquid diet for a couple a weeks see how it goes. But i am getting frustrated.

I got pregnant while banded as well. Gained 20 lbs than lost it almost immediately. Got back on the bandwagon at 195 lbs and starting losing again until I reached goal. It's doable so keep working on it.

Perhaps share what your diet/exercise looks like or some of the struggles you think might be having. Maybe we can help?