Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Grrrr... It's upsets me that the forums have combined. I don't want to be part of anyplace that promotes the lapband. SMH ... ARRGGHH!

Aaaaaaleeeeex!

Seriously, joining the forums was unwise. It's a recipe for internet warfare.

And they thought were full of drama before? Bwahahaha... ;)

Ms Anti, why so Anti? Works for thousands of us, why is cutting half your stomach out any better?

I'm personally not interested in internet warfare nor drama.

I think once people start meeting new people from all 3 forums and things become more personalized the hostility will diminish. I am looking forward to sharing information, supporting people through their struggles and successes and meeting new friends (already have).

Good luck on your journey :)

This is her story...She should be able to tell her story without turning it into a debate.

The sites will be separated soon, as far as having to wade through different surgeries lumped together under "current threads"

This is her story...She should be able to tell her story without turning it into a debate.

The sites will be separated soon, as far as having to wade through different surgeries lumped together under "current threads"

Absolutely!

Ms Anti, why so Anti? Works for thousands of us, why is cutting half your stomach out any better?

My info is under "my story"

The surgery was more radical but I'm free of chronic complications, (including death), maintenance, and I can eat healthy foods. I'm now healthy as a horse but 10 times smaller

No horror story here, but my heart goes out to those that have had complications from the band. I too was banded in 2010 and didn't have any problems, lost 40 lbs. and feeling 100% better than I had in fifteen years. On to 2013... Then I, because of the lack of caring at the clinic that put in the band, ended up switching doctors and his first response was "when did they fluroscope you last"? My response "day of surgery". Onward to the scope, one week later endoscopy, two weeks later band out. It had slipped. Had I not switched doctors, and the lack of any problems, by the time I probably would have noticed any problem I would have been hospitalized due to an errosion and infection. Did I love my band, you bet. I went into a grieving mode when it came out, lost an additional 7 lbs, but had to accept it was no longer for me. Ended up having RnY as it has a better remission rate for diabetics but I was given a choice of either the sleeve or RnY. The band for me, was a start on a journey to a healthier me and I'll always be grateful.

No horror story here, but my heart goes out to those that have had complications from the band. I too was banded in 2010 and didn't have any problems, lost 40 lbs. and feeling 100% better than I had in fifteen years. On to 2013... Then I, because of the lack of caring at the clinic that put in the band, ended up switching doctors and his first response was "when did they fluroscope you last"? My response "day of surgery". Onward to the scope, one week later endoscopy, two weeks later band out. It had slipped. Had I not switched doctors, and the lack of any problems, by the time I probably would have noticed any problem I would have been hospitalized due to an errosion and infection. Did I love my band, you bet. I went into a grieving mode when it came out, lost an additional 7 lbs, but had to accept it was no longer for me. Ended up having RnY as it has a better remission rate for diabetics but I was given a choice of either the sleeve or RnY. The band for me, was a start on a journey to a healthier me and I'll always be grateful.

Congrats on getting RnY :) Hope you find "healthier you" soon :)

Reminds me..time for a flouro checkup appt :)

To the OP...I'm so sorry about all of your complications, that sounds really awful and I'm glad you were able to fix the damage and live to tell your story. I wish you all the best with your sleeve and look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Hello to the band people reading/viewing/posting here...welcome!

While I appreciate that you have had wonderful experiences with your band, I respectfully disagree that THIS THREAD is the place to go and promote how happy you are with your band.

The OP, posted this in the TELL YOUR GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY STORY, which is an appropriate place for this. She didn't go over to the band forum and start bashing bands, and trying to scare people away. She said she will be reporting this to the FDA (and yay, it *should* be reported...) because it is HER TRUTH. Not everyone has the same experience with any of the surgeries, there are risks, complications, variations of patient compliance with EACH and EVERY surgery. I welcome different viewpoints and while I think that you all have valid points about your happiness with your bands, I just don't think this was the place to post about it.

Please have respect for all of our members.

To the OP...I'm so sorry about all of your complications, that sounds really awful and I'm glad you were able to fix the damage and live to tell your story. I wish you all the best with your sleeve and look forward to hearing more about your journey.

Hello to the band people reading/viewing/posting here...welcome!

While I appreciate that you have had wonderful experiences with your band, I respectfully disagree that THIS THREAD is the place to go and promote how happy you are with your band.

The OP, posted this in the TELL YOUR GASTRIC SLEEVE SURGERY STORY, which is an appropriate place for this. She didn't go over to the band forum and start bashing bands, and trying to scare people away. She said she will be reporting this to the FDA (and yay, it *should* be reported...) because it is HER TRUTH. Not everyone has the same experience with any of the surgeries, there are risks, complications, variations of patient compliance with EACH and EVERY surgery. I welcome different viewpoints and while I think that you all have valid points about your happiness with your bands, I just don't think this was the place to post about it.

Please have respect for all of our members.

Please understand that I am not coming here to be adversarial. I have complete respect for everyone and their choices. Again, I have no qualms.

Perhaps see it from my perspective. Ever since we merged I have been primarily in the LB forums as well as the chat room. We have had sleevers and bypassers comment on our forums, so I would deem it appropriate to peruse through yours and comment as well. I came here because I was curious to see how different the forums or content is. When I read this post, it was compounding to the dozens of posts and chat conversations that were anti-band putting bandsters in a peculiar position. This is from day one of the site launching. Noone (from any surgery) wants to have to defend their decisions. And I am inclined to believe noone wants to have their decision be attacked.

I am not trying to derail from her story. I appreciate the story. I think I respond more to the responses and how hasty they can be. I just wanted to share that despite one person's setback, to keep an open mind to the positive stories you will come across. I've tried to share mine and it was minimized because they were convinced the band was not a good thing, how sad is that? Fortunately I am 4 years out and well established in my journey, but I fear that newbies and those doing research are not going to get the essential and unbiased support they deserve

Hi Hazelsbliss! I understand where you are coming from, and I'm 3+ years post-op so marching along also. I don't think that you were being adversarial but there was an undertone that did strike a chord with me. I know you said you weren't trying to derail from her post, but that is sort of how it came accross to me. It was basically like "yeah, this ONE person had complications, but not everyone does and sometimes it's related to patient compliance" ...as I said it struck a nerve. I'm happy that you have done so well with your band, I just didn't need to see/hear about it on a thread where someone is pouring their heart out over their own personal experience.

Part of this whole thing is the walls have been torn down so-to-speak. I doubt in the old days that I would have ventured over into RNY or Band territory, and even though I could have used my VST login to log in and comment over there, I'm sure I would never have done that. I have a hard enough time just keeping up with ONE site, let alone many.

Please also don't take what I said as "you aren't allowed to post here" because that is NOT what I'm saying. And I realize that everything is "meshed" together now, so when we look at trending topics or new posts it's kind of hard to tell where they are posted...until you click on them and see the top link to orient where you are reading.

I just don't want people of any of the boards to feel like they can't post their truth without someone jumping in and saying "but you are just ONE person, not everyone experiences that!!!" because that's kind of the truth about each and every post on here.

Hazel it is quite obvious you need the last word on this so have it..

But know we will not be trolling the lapband site looking for positive outcomes to then tell them hey I just thought I'd tell you that's great but there are a lot of complications with that too! and I love my sleeve let me educate you on the wonders!

And as far as band bashing? People that have had horrendous experiences have the right to talk freely. Just as the ones with sleeve complications do too. Without someone shoving it down their throat (ever so nicely) the wonders of a good sleeve.

As far as sleevers weighing in on the band threads? Yes there has been because those threads are about "there better not be any band bashing out of those people"

Have your last word then let's be done with it..

My journy started in 2004 with a Lap Band. I had great success...well vomitng all the way...loosing 190 lbs over 5 years. During the last three years I had real issues of severe left internal pain- transvaginal US showed nothing. Constipation with ribbon stools...colonoscopy- just increase my fiber. Cardiac issues...I could go on and on...and always in the back of my mind I thought It was the band. Fast forward to June of 2013...slowly I was gaining weight, and my abdomen was distended and firm. I went to a new PCP who ordered an upper GI. My first ever. Well...my esophagus was completely occluded...and the doctors wondered how I was getting anything in. Emergently 3 ccs were removed from my band...and in 5 days I gained 30 lbs. The surgeon said my body was in starvation mode for so long, by liver was just shooting out fat cells like crazy. I waited for insurance approval for the sleeve, working out each day and keeping my calories around 1400. By the time surgery was scheduled Oct 22, I was up about 50lbs.

Surgery...lets say my abdomen was a war zone. Severe inflamation, and acute allergic response obviously by body rejecting the band. It took the surgeon 5 hours to clear the adhesions,and work around the inflammation. My spleen was nicked...no big deal. 12 hours after surgery I was crashing, and brought back to surgery. 2 liters of liquid blood and large clots were found in my abdomen. 5 hours and 4 surgeons in my case examined each area of my battlezone belly...and the bleed was discovered under my liver- about a 50 cent peice of liver was lacerated. Turned out the band had grew into my liver (remember the pain I was having 3 years prior...yup) and when removed took out part of my liver. I will spare you the rest of the recovery details..but glad to be alive.

I will be reporting my complications to the FDA. I cannot believe bands are still put in. I will also be publishing my case, eventually. I am down about 25 lbs, but have been at a stall for the last week...I hear this is common, and hoping each day it will pass. I am very happy with my sleeve. I am hungy, which I was hoping would go away. I have no difficulty eating anything, and as a risk vs. reward kind of girl..I have tested out bread, and yep no problem. I am so grateful to be alive, and my story will be told to stop the madness of the band. It is no way to live.

bless your heart...(hugs) and best thoughts being sent your way...

have a wonderful up and coming holiday sweetie, you deserve it.