Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Eating Too Much?

So, I am just over 5 weeks post op and after reading through some posts on here I am starting to think maybe I am eating too much. I know that my surgeon uses a 40 french bougie, which is on the larger side from what I have read and I am ok with that. I don't need the smallest stomach ever, just much more restriction than I had before. I am losing weight slowly, but I started with a "low" BMI (35.8 )so I expected that. At this point I am eating around 900-1000 calories a day. I was eating more like 700 a couple weeks ago and hit a stall and thought maybe I wasn't eating enough. That is when I decided to try to up my calorie intake. My stall did break, whether from changing my calorie intake or just my body needed some time, I don't know. I have read about people 2-3 months out eating 600 calories a day and that seems crazy to me now that I am on soft foods. I have noticed more head hunger coming back and my desire to eat, but I still eat small meals and only 1-2 Snacks per day. Neither my NUT nor my surgeon ever really talked about calorie intake, just about fluids and Protein. I have no problem getting my protein (usually get 80+ daily) and no problem getting in my liquids. I am really limiting my carbs and almost eating something similar to adkins so that I get my protein with a few veggies here and there. I have my 6 week follow up with my surgeon and plan to discuss it more with her, but until then I thought I would see what my fellow sleevers are doing.

Hi, I'm almost 5 weeks post op and my surgeon uses of 44 bougie. I am also eating about 1000 calories a day. I don't understand how people are only eating 500 and 600 cal per day!! I have not hit a weight stall yet but I'm sure that I will eventually. I'm so glad that you posted this because I swear we are the minority here, haha.

Well it's good to not be alone! :-) Part of me knows it's crazy to think eating 1000 calories a day is too much. I know that is low enough to lose weight, but reading others experiences makes me question it. Maybe it will even help when it comes to Hair loss, something that I am afraid of.

I'm with with you all. Sometimes I think he left too much of my stomach in. I keep looking at my post-op stomach X-ray and thinking, "this lil thing has got to be full, there's no way I should be this hungry!" But I am and it's NOT head hunger it's "I've been running around all day slept through Breakfast, worked through lunch, and it's 5:30 pm what the h**l is going on?" type of hunger. I'm find myself eating a small meal/snack every 2-3 hours and averaging 800 calories per day.

Truth be told, I have no idea what my caloric intake is. I am on puréed foods for the next 12 days before I can move to soft foods. I have been having issues telling when I am full. But my NUT and surgeon told me to focus on hydration for the first two months after surgery. I am off shakes all together cause they were making me sick.

I thought my weight loss was kinda slow too....Started at 253 before doing the NUT stuff for 6 months...was 236 starting the preop liquids for 4 days and 228 the morning of surgery. Today I'm 4 weeks postop and only at 215. I know 13 lbs in a month is a lot for most folks but guess I expected more like 20. Considering there was a 9-day stall at 217 until 2 days ago, guessing it's actually pretty good. If we lose it TOO fast, we'll look like deflated Gummy bears. lol

Oh and my caloric intake averages about 700-800 calories. 3 meals, 1-2 Snacks and lots of fluids.

I honestly rarely feel hungry. I mean I have had slight hunger sometimes, but I haven't felt any extreme hunger. I believe most of mine is head hunger. It's something I know I will have to work on for the rest of my life and always have. The difference is now I might eat a yogurt or cheese stick due to head hunger when before I would eat a bag of chez mix, chips or Cookies. So I know I will still lose weight, but I need to break those habits before my grazing get out of control. For ow though, I am not going to worry myself too much over my 1000 cal a day. And I def don't want to look like a deflated Gummy bear!! Haha Loose skin and losing hair are my two biggest fears. I have already started using a toning lotion everyday and a shampoo/conditioner/spray that is supposed to help with losing hair.

Grazing is what my surgeon & nutritionist call a slippery slope! My 5-6 mini-meals are intentional though and the "grazing" thing is dangerous when it's mindless and due to boredom.

I make sure to track ALL BITES (ABCs = all bites count) and as long as I'm within my Protein goal and Water goal, my surgeon and nutritionist encourage the small meals. They discourage grazing when it's not tracked.

Head hunger is my enemy, but so far, I've been able to control it. I'm worried more for down the road with that one!

Truth be told, I have no idea what my caloric intake is. I am on puréed foods for the next 12 days before I can move to soft foods. I have been having issues telling when I am full. But my NUT and surgeon told me to focus on hydration for the first two months after surgery. I am off shakes all together cause they were making me sick.

6 weeks out and I can not tell when I am full either. I don't bother watching my calories at this point because I am eating 2-3 oz 2-3x a day so I know I am not getting much. I usually can eat about 2 oz over 15 minutes and then my stomach starts aching or cramping I don't really know how to describe it, so I stop eating because I don't want to piss it off.

On my 5th week now and I feel like I'm able to eat more than most people at one sitting. I can eat a whole one of those weight control oatmeal packs for breakfast without a problem. I can also eat one of those light & fit Greek yogurts easily as well. I can eat about 4 grilled shrimp and 3 asparagus for dinner and be comfortably full. Maybe the oatmeal and yogurt just pass through easily, but when I hear people say, I had three bites and I'm stuffed" it makes me question things a bit. I'm eating 700-800 calories a day & doing the elliptical trainer 30 minutes each day... Losing very slowly lately- maybe adding 100 calories will help? Anyone eating Protein Bars at 5-6 weeks out?

I'm a week out today and just now getting to take shakes and pureed food. I don't feel like I'm getting enough Protein or Water. I.drink as much as I can and shoot for 2 Protein Shakes a day but since I can't have real food I need to know What I need to eat to get enough nutrients. Any suggestions?

I'm a week out today and just now getting to take shakes and pureed food. I don't feel like I'm getting enough Protein or Water. I.drink as much as I can and shoot for 2 Protein Shakes a day but since I can't have real food I need to know What I need to eat to get enough nutrients. Any suggestions?

Not many are able to hit liquid or Protein goals until a little further along. Heck, I'm going on 6 months out and am only just this week hitting my liquid goals.

I would just get a couple bottles of Isopure from GNC or Vitamin shoppe. They both carry. Them. They do leave a weird feeling on the tounge but a 20 oz bottle of that has something like 40 grams protein in it. Its all I could do until about week 2 or 3.

Just do the best you can for now.

On my 5th week now and I feel like I'm able to eat more than most people at one sitting. I can eat a whole one of those weight control oatmeal packs for breakfast without a problem. I can also eat one of those light & fit Greek yogurts easily as well. I can eat about 4 grilled shrimp and 3 asparagus for dinner and be comfortably full. Maybe the oatmeal and yogurt just pass through easily, but when I hear people say, I had three bites and I'm stuffed" it makes me question things a bit. I'm eating 700-800 calories a day & doing the elliptical trainer 30 minutes each day... Losing very slowly lately- maybe adding 100 calories will help? Anyone eating Protein bars at 5-6 weeks out?

I am almost 6 weeks out and eat Peanut Butter chocolate powerbars a few times a week. Takes 30-45 min to eat the whole thing. I alternate between the bars and Protein Shakes. I also eat a lot more than you. My hunger is the same now as it was before surgery (yes I take a PPI). I just cant take in as much. Don't feel bad! Everyone has different eating patterns. I'm a 'lightweight' so my weight loss is slow but steady. I eat probably about 1600 calories a day. Yikes! Lol. I feel fine though. My philosophy is suistainable progress and it's that philosophy that allowed me to maintain my weight for 6 years prior to surgery. No yo yo dieting for me and that includes my eating habits post op.