Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The goods on bread.....

So you guys, I hear a lot about people not being able to eat bread after being banded (and of course those who can with no problem). But those that can't, does this mean that you literally can't eat bread because of getting stuck or pb'ing? or does this mean that you can eat it but just don't feel good or comfortable after eating it? Just curious.

I am one of those people who can eat it but I have to chew, chew, chew. I choose not to eat very much of it, however.

I'm happy that bread is difficult. I didn't want to eat it anyway! Go figure-I can eat tortilla chips, but bread is too difficult to be worth the trouble. Luckily, most of my cravings left when I got banded, so I'm a meat and vege girl now...er, and muscle milk shakes.< /p>

I can eat bread, but I try to stick to high Fiber bread. I can only eat about 3/4 of a piece. I load it with banana and Peanut Butter and call it breakfast! Any more than 3/4 piece and I am hurting. I also take about 1/2 hour to eat it. Not sure if it is worth it!

I can eat it but its one of the harder foods for me.

We went out for lunch yesterday, Doug had bruschetta, it came on two enormous slices of french bread, I look at that and just see hard work, lol. It would take so long and be so difficult to eat its just too darn hard. I was happy with my cheese platter - only Doug at 2/3 of that too.

IVE GIVEN UP ON bread COMPLETLY, IT JUST WONT GO DOWN AT ALL, MAYBE ITS A GOOD THING FOR ME AS BREAD WAS ONE OF MY BIGGEST DOWN FALLS, ITS SOME THING IVE LEARNED TO COME TO TERMS WITH.

Ditto on all above. I am very very tight right now, but I can still eat bread. I have to chew it for sooooo long that it really isnt worth it. But it's nice to know I can if I absolutely have to.

I can eat bread no matter how tight I get... mind you I can't eat a ton of it but I can still eat bread, rice and Pasta 99% of the time with no issues.

I think part of that is the band I have which is the swedish which is very flexible. When I had the rigid innamed 9.25 band I couldn't touch bread it made me vomit every time. I think if you have the more flexible bands (innamed vanguard, AP, Swedish or the French)bread is a little easier to eat or so it seems among the bandsters I know and dine with.

All soft breads are offlimits per my physican's directins. I can eat 1/2 slice of TOASTED bread a day or 3-4 crackers. Carbs were a big problem for me before banding, so it's all for the best and I havent missed eating breads, to tell teh truth. I have to keep reminding myself,,Proteins first,,I want to fill up on good things and bread just has no nutritional value. I cant eat lettuce either,,its a calorically empty waste of space in my tummy and my physician says lettice and soft breads can stretch my tummy,,and I dont want that to happen.

Banded 01/29/07

Jackson, MS-Dr Ken Cleveland

331/298/150

Hi: DebLPN: I find it interesting about the lettuce. By mixing the greens, this was one of the ways I was getting nutrients that green produce. However, if your doc says it will stretch my pouch, I am very concerned. Anyone else hear about stretching the pouch with lettuce. I always thought it was the amount food that was eaten. Hope to be corrected. Doddie.

Every once in a while I think I will be able to tolerate bread, but I am wrong. Two bites into it and I hurt like crazy -- even if chewed to mush -- so it isn't worth it to me. Probably a good thing here, too, as I was definitely a carboholic pre-band. The other things that give me great trouble are lettuce, green Beans (too stringy, I think), beef of any sort and chicken if it is too dry. I'm living on a diet that is primarily composed of fish and vegetables these days -- and loving it! I have never eaten so healthy in my entire life.

Will I try bread again? Of course...I'm a slow learner and an eternal optimist. Will I get an awful pain when I do it? Probably...and after a bite or two I will remember why I don't eat it like I used to. Maybe one of these days I will learn!

Doddie.....no worries about the lettuce stretching the pouch thing....I wasn't gonna go there but since someone else brought it up.....that is about the MOST ridiculous thing on here that I've ever read!!!

Make like a rabbit and if lettuce doesn't bother you....eat away!

*stretches the pouch* *rolls eyes*

:phanvan

This makes me think of the time my dad told me not to put lettuce down my sink garburator because it will swell and plug my sink. Be darned if that isn't exactly what happened. Go figure! Not to mention bunnies - they are very plump and round, maybe they're just swollen. Hmmm....

:eek: