Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't take it anymore!

Are you completely unfilled now? Have you had an endoscopy?

I am wondering if they used a poor choice of band size for you. I would definitely get a second opinion, you should be able to eat healthy foods and solid protien. Please do keep us all posted.

Are you completely unfilled now? Have you had an endoscopy?

Yes, I just have 0.4cc in for the tubing but the band is empty. Endoscopy shows duodinitis and a lot of esophageal irritation due to barfing. However, I just had a pretty bad episode of barfing blood so it was from that.

I can't do solids or cold liquids. I have to drink Protein shakes and Water at room temp. (Gahhhh)

PLEASE don't have the band removed until you get a second face to face opinion. There could be lots of minor things that are easy to fix to get you going. You spent all this money and time! Go to Dr. C or somebody and have a work up. It really could be something minor.

RE: Throat tightness. I get it too. I was afraid I was getting TOO full and not recognizing the signs that I should stop eating. Dr. says with some people, being full on the pouch is actually felt as a referred sensation in the throat. No biggie.

Gosh I am soryto hear that you have this problem. Her in the uk they would unfil your band completely and getu feeling better. May b that is an opyion before you have it removed. I am presuming you have lost weight. Have you lost much. Has ithe band helped/gOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISSION.mRS d

PLEASE don't have the band removed until you get a second face to face opinion. There could be lots of minor things that are easy to fix to get you going. You spent all this money and time! Go to Dr. C or somebody and have a work up. It really could be something minor.

RE: Throat tightness. I get it too. I was afraid I was getting TOO full and not recognizing the signs that I should stop eating. Dr. says with some people, being full on the pouch is actually felt as a referred sensation in the throat. No biggie.

I'm really undecided on the whole thing regarding removing my band. At first I had mentally prepared that this was a necessary procedure, meaning to have it removed. But then hubby got in on this and for a lot of reasons I don't want to go into, I seriously need to respect his opinion. So now I'm not sure what I'll do.

I *want* it removed but I for a lot of reasons I need to consider my husband's thinking. I may just go through the motions to please him then get the stupid thing taken out.

You have to understand, I drink 2-3 Protein shakes at room temp daily. If I can I drink a bottle of Pedialyte. That's it. Daily I fight to maintain appropriate labs (appropriate levels of sodium, potassium, Protein, etc.) I've pretty much had my fill of being banded.

While I am still verrrry pro-band, maybe it's just not for me.

Throat tightness... I wake up that way. I have a forever lump in my throat. I'm tired of that too.

Gosh I am soryto hear that you have this problem. Her in the uk they would unfil your band completely and getu feeling better. May b that is an opyion before you have it removed. I am presuming you have lost weight. Have you lost much. Has ithe band helped/gOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DECISSION.mRS d

MrsD...

My band is empty. There is 0.4cc in there now but that is just for the tubing, the band itself IS empty. Yep, I've lost. The upside to all this is that I am at 50% goal! :nervous

I am not a band expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have never even heard anyone refer to needing fill "for the tubing". I have heard many say they go for a complete unfill, in fact I watched my SIL get hers unfilled, and he pulled the syringe back until he got nothing out at all. He compared what he got to what he knew he had put in, and told her she should have less that 0.1cc in there now. I mean the Fluid flows from the tubing into the band---so how can it stay in the tube, and leave the band empty? She was left unfilled for over 6 weeks, while she tried to heal, from being too tight. She too PB'd a lot. She has now started to refill and is doing really well.

I would try to find a different Dr. And work with him to try everything you can, before giving up. I feel the pain in your posts--I wish I had some answers for you. I know you have a medical background---any chance of using it to find an unbiased opinion for looking at your test results?

The constant PB's and the throwing up blood are scary issues!!! My DH had a massive GI bleed, caused by poorly managed care while being prescribed blood thinners, following heart valve surgery. He had a bilateral tear where the esophagus meets the stomach. Similar to a Mallory Weiss tear---which is caused by repeated throwing up. My DH came so near dying---they told he he likely would not make it the next 10 minutes. I am telling you this, because the blood, and wear on your esophagus are not good! Find a Dr, and look into it before hurting your body even more---please!

Keep us posted!

Kat

Sure, the tubing needs saline. It was my doc that explained this. When it comes it comes as an self contained unit. There is no air or saline in the band. Think of a straw and suck the air out, it flattens. My doc explained that they fill the tubing with saline during the procedure.

OMG! That is just amazing!

That is the most bizarre experience, how awful.

I had the complete opposite, I could eat normal 2 weeks after the op.

The surgeon said it was because of a few factors, i was younger, my stomach was smaller than others, i was fit and that is why i healed so well. i had a fill at 5 weeks.

Done 14.02.05

I have a theory on what happened. I don't think it had anything to do with my surgeon, I think it had everything to do with something else.

Four days after surgery I knew I was supposed to keep Protein grams up so I tried the unzogly, Isopure. I refer to it as IsoPUKE! After taking a swig of it, it was soooo horrible that I barfed. I think that is the whole problem right there. If something is really horrible to me I don't just make a face and not try that food item again, I barf. I've barfed from that day on.

I think I barfed before the band was set in place and that has caused problems since then. But that's just my theory and I can't back it up with a thing.

If you barfed and the band slipped they should be able to see that on flouro. I would seek another opinion with fluro. ~Mandy

BB....

We're all different. Some people's band are very sensitive to stress. Mine tightens up like a virgin on prom night if I get stressed - even a little bit - while eating.

The lump in your throat is food (or liquid) backing up into your esophagus because your stoma is swollen almost completely shut. It might take a week or even two, but it should go away if you baby your band/pouch.

I had a "band twin" in my local group - banded the same day as I was - but I came home the same day and she had to stay a week in the hospital, on an IV, because her stomach swelled and she couldn't keep anything down.

You might have to just do tiny fills. My (banded) doctor is that way....very sensitive to fills.

Also, try small, frequent meals (liquid meals, for a while).

I sure hope this corrects itself and you don't have to have your band taken out.

I so want you to keep the band if it is possible for you to fix the problem that you have got. You are 50% at goal weight and that is tremendous. I definately feel for you as far as how you got there. It sounds like a bitter sweet victory. Second opinion is not a bad thing. I used to feel guilty the first 6 months after I was banded because I wanted to switch docs because I didn't feel like I was getting the support I needed. ( I say switch docs, but I guess I meant switch nurses because the last time I ever saw my doctor was 30 minutes before my lap band surgery.) I'm not sure if you are feeling bad about getting a second opinion by a different doc but I know this, the only thing you might regret is not have done it sooner. By switching docs, my whole mind set and life has done a complete 180. Best wishes to you.