Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking while eatting? I'm having a problem.

I have a huge problem. I for some strange reason, can't eat with out having something to drink. I have tryed it but for some reason it freaks me out. I always drink when I eat. Does anyone else have this problem? If so how do I get over it and learn to eat with out having something to drink? Any help would be wonderful.

Thank you!

I would suggest taking your first bite then sipping some cold Water. once you feel the first bite and the water go though the band then you can eat and drink a little more. I am the same way as you are, I have to have drink when I eat. after the initial first bite has gone through your band you are good to go! If you get jammed up just stop until it has passed. I also find out that drinking hot tea before you eat a meal will allow you to pretty much eat and drink normally.....Good luck!

I would suggest taking your first bite then sipping some cold Water. once you feel the first bite and the Water go though the band then you can eat and drink a little more. I am the same way as you are, I have to have drink when I eat. after the initial first bite has gone through your band you are good to go! If you get jammed up just stop until it has passed. I also find out that drinking hot tea before you eat a meal will allow you to pretty much eat and drink normally.....Good luck!

Uh, I thought that it was "against the rules" to drink anything during, 30 mins before or 30 mins after eating?! It was my understanding that this is one of the essential aspects of making the band a successful tool. Maybe I'm wrong. (I haven't been banded yet.)

I have been practicing eating without drinking because I'm like you ....it is difficult for me to imagine it. When I practice I find it essential to take small bites, chew well, and wait between bites. It gives you time to salivate...eliminating the need for a drink. We've been drinking with our meals our whole lives. Yes, it will be a difficult habit to break...but one of the many bad ones we NEED to break.

I like the way Jack writes :)

I too thought this was going to be a major problem. I tried it one time prior to being banded and found it wasn't so bad. Perhaps believing in the reason behind it will help you. It will help you eat less and stay fuller longer.

Good luck to you!

I was banded 7-05 and I still struggle with the whole drinking while eating issue. It defeats the purpose if you drink while eating because it does wash it down and I can feel it- when I drink liquids I eat more than I should. I am having to break myself of this habit because I have been doing it my whole life and little by little I am getting much better. Its esier not to drink while eating when you are at home, when you eat your meal just dont fix yourself a drink, but at retaurants its harder to me because if you dont get a drink people think-OK, whats wrong with her- but I will just get a glass of Water and take like one or two tiny sips. Just remember some habits are hard to break just be persistent and we will all learn our new habits together. Good Luck!!

This is a big problem for me. I dont have much time and I havent been able to kick the habit. Tonight is my last night out drinking though :(

I will say that other than the immediate post surgical gas pains - eating without drinking is the hardest part for me so far. I love to drink - and feel its necessary to drink and eat. Well I did think that - but I've been very, very good at not drinking and eating. I didn't think it was possible - but it is.

I have not had a drink while eating since my surgery - it defeats the whole purpose of the fact that the food stays in the pouch longer so you feel satisfied longer. I usually have a lifesaver or other breathmint after I eat to get the saliva going.

I am 4' 9 " so I know what your going through. It's hard for us to carry to carry the weight since we are so short. I'm looking forward to a healthy new life. At the moment I weigh 245. Yep extreme isn't it? I still do not know how I let myself go that far. Well Good luck to you.:)

This is a big problem for me. I dont have much time and I havent been able to kick the habit. Tonight is my last night out drinking though
:D

My doc wants me to drink at least 8 ozs of non-caloric Fluid (water, tea, crystal light...) just prior to eating. As soon as I take the first bite, push my drink aside (or better yet, finish it all before eating) and then not drink anything again until 30-45 minutes later. The key for me is to remove the drink from easy reach once I begin eating. It can be done, you will not die, I promise.:)

I chew gum after my meal so my mouth is wet and keeps me from drinking.

That's what I do, too! I use Vitaballs for my Vitamins (www.vitaball.com). They're a gumball which you chew for 10 mins to get all the Vitamins out of it, and then you throw it away like regular gum. I chew one after lunch & one after dinner once I finish the meal. A) It provides moisture after eating, :girl_hug: it stops me from nibbling more, C) is a reminder to take my vitamins, and D) it helps kill the time until I can actually drink! I was banded 6-weeks ago, and NOT drinking with meals is by far the hardest part for me.

What about rinsing the mouth out after you eat if that is part of the problem?

I too am having a hard time with this. And waiting so long to drink! I have a dry mouth (its a side effects of some meds I am on too) and normally pre banding I would drink at least three drinks with a meal regardless of how well I would chew.

After I eat I have food in my mouth and of course it drives me crazy, not being able to wash it down. So I think that maybe rinsing with something and then sucking on something might help.

My Dr said to set a glass of ice on the table. Whatever melts by the time you are done eatting you can drink it. That should help you..