Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Corvala? Angeles Hospital?

Has anyone gone with Dr Corvala in TJ? What about Angeles Hospital? Im scheduled for Nov. 26. Just looking for some words of wisdom and encouragement....im getting a little scared and keep questioning my decision. Thanks

Hello! When I did my research back in August/ September, I concluded that Dr. Corvala was one of the pioneer / established / elder statesman type Mexican bariatric surgeons. I also concluded that Angeles is a very established Medical Tourism hospital. I was interested in Dr. Corvala and Angeles, but his established practice understandably charged more than my budget would allow. I think he has done a good bit of teaching of other surgeons, etc., and he may be a fellow in the American College of Surgeons (FACS) -- I can't remember for sure :). Patients whose stories I read on here were very happy.

my case coordinated at hospital angeles indicated that I can pay for my procedure via credit card prior to entering mexico. that way I don't have to deal with carrying a cashiers check to the hospital or having my credit card company reject the charge because it is an unusually large charge in Tijuana. Just another payment option to consider for those using Corvala at Hospital Angels.

Here are a bunch of pictures of my experience with Dr Corvala and Angeles Hospital in TJ. Amazing experience. I couldn't more pleased. World class, state of the art facility with top surgeons, staff and protocol and the icing is the spa like atmosphere ;-)

http://www.bariatric...19th/?p=3761436

and more pictures:

http://www.bariatric...19th/?p=3762637

I only found one alleged death and one alleged botched plication surgery for Corvala in my search. Surgery is an inherently risky business. I have no idea if the posts I located were true. Keep in mind that he has done over 10000 laparoscopic surgeries.

I only found one alleged death and one alleged botched plication surgery for Corvala in my search. Surgery is an inherently risky business. I have no idea if the posts I located were true. Keep in mind that he has done over 10000 laparoscopic surgeries.

If the alleged statements are even true, that's a .0002% complication rate when the overall complication rate across the board is 1% I think..or is it 2% depending on laparoscopic procedure? Then his complication rate is a huge anomaly and highly unlikely in the best possible way, given the actual rates of complication that occur today. If I knew that beforehand, I would feel even more confident with my choice in Dr Corvala.

I think that is comparable to saying only one person died at Hospital X in 2014. That hospital had 10,000 patients in 2014. Wow, that would be some accomplishment, almost impossible. Not in this field and only IMHO. No need to attack ;-)

How are you feeling Gundern?

Are you still self injecting the anti coagulant, Fragmin?

Did they administer Ondasteron towards the end of surgery?

I am not sure if they use dexamethasone at induction of anesthesia to provide a multi modal approach for prophylaxis of PONV.

Did you require any IV pain meds other than the ketorolaco and acetaminophen?

Did they provide you with your own spirometer?

One last question ( I know I must be annoying you)

I know they use the SCD ( sequential compression device) during surgery and in the recovery room to prevent clots, PE, but did they keep them on the first nite?

If you are relatively familiar with the ASMBS surgical protocol recommendations; did you notice any deviations from such practice?

No rush to answer, just a curious mind starting to get a bit apprehensive.

Thanks and heal well !

Yes, still injecting Fragmin. Amazing that I can do that but the needle that is called subcutateous (sp) seems to be smaller then my pores are so I barely feel it and I have always been panicky around needles so this was a huge relief.

I requested no morphine since it makes me feel worse than any kind of pain and nauseous so they gave me the alternative plus anti-nausea medication. If I needed sleep medication they gave that to me as well but that was the only bad part because it was in the form of a crushed pill. They explained something about counteracting with other medications. They didn't seem as keen on giving sleep aids and wouldn't recommend any prescription forms of that. Yes, I got my own spirometer but didn't use it enough ;-). I am not sure about the other medications you mentioned. I'm not familiar with the standard surgical protocol. Dr Lukas, the tall surgeon on the far right of the photo offers a huge amount of his time to questions and concerns. He is very patient and would be the best source for some of the technical questions.

Thanks for your well wishes!