Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st postopp lesson: Don't be a slave to the scale!

So had been stressing about not losing much weight since the surgery (about 4 pounds post op) but had my 2 weeks post op check up and found out my pulse is normal, BP has dropped 20 point and is almost normal and more so my BMI has dropped 5 points since the preop diet. Holy cow feel so much better right now and am so motivated to continue to stick to the plan regardless of what I see on the scale. Let this be a lesson folks, the scale doesn't fully capture your progress so don't freak out if you don't see the numbers you'd like.

I am such a slave to the scale. I really just want to get rid of it but I know I wont. I weigh once a day in the mornings. I really should switch it up to once a week and get a little more bang for my buck.

You're so right. I'm weighing once a day just to track it along with all of my food and it's amazing the differences that can occur just in that time period. I have decided to change my weight in my profile only when I get weighed at the doctor's in a couple of weeks. And I'm fighting myself. There's very little for me to "regulate" right now! I'm on liquids, I'm hitting my Protein and Fluid numbers, and I am not taking in more than about 750 calories on my "biggest" days. There is NOTHING to adjust except my attitude.

It's hard not to be the scale's slave. I am always hopeful when I get on the scale in the morning. If its not what I wanted, I'm pissed :). Need to put that sucker away :)

My NUT has always recommended getting on the scale once a week, at the same time, wearing similar or same clothes, etc.

Your body will naturally cycle through Water retention and Water release, as it sees fit. It is out of your control. This makes your weight bounce day to day. This is your body converting fat into glycogen to support your muscles. More on that later.

You may be lucky in 1 st month and every day is a loss, but that is highly unlikely. During the first 2 months, I did tend to look once a day and was dropping like crazy, 5 here, 7 there, 2 here and 3 there. However, stalls happen and it is quite natural to not lose any weight for weeks at a time.

Again, a stall is little more than your body converting stored fat into glycogen. Glycogen requires a lot of water to support it in the muscles. Once your muscles use up the glycogen, so goes the water and so drops the scale weight. It is very much a stair case pattern. You do not have much control over this natural process.

Best advice is to understand this fat to glycogen energy process and know that it is going to play with the downward trend on the scale day to day. It will help keep your mind at ease.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 4 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

4. AmberFL

How are you doing? any update?!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches