Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 52, One year out and have lots of inflammation

Not that this will help me any, but I thought I would share this in the fifties group and see what I get.

I did my surgery a year and three months ago. I only lost about 20 kilo (2.2 lbs to a kilo) and that's ok.

Since I've lost weight I am much lighter on my feet and I try to go walking as often as possible. I thought I would feel like a million dollars. Well, I have more aches and pains now than before I lost the weight!! I developed inflammation in both shoulders (precluding me from alot of exercises) and now I have inflammation in my thigh. This is really, really annoying since I'm not supposed to walk too much till I strengthen other muscles in my legs.

I seriously thought I'd feel wonderful once the weight came off and I'm down about my body "falling apart". I feel as though the surgery messed with my "eco-system", traumatized my body and now I am paying the price. Mind you, I wouldn't go back. I'm just venting and wondering if anyone else experienced this.

Thanks for listening.

My body started to fall apart when i was about 53. I suffered all sorts of aches and pains. Eventually, I couldn't walk and had both knees replaced age 55. I just put it down to being seriously overweight. My hips are playing up now! There is even (apparently) and inflammatory marker in my blood work - CRP I think it's called. Way above normal. Also apparently a marker in women for heart attack. That's why I had the sleeve. I'm interested to see if my CRP comes within normal range as I lose weight.

20 kilos is impressive. I lost about 7 in the first week, but have hardly lost a gram since then. Still in the doubt phase where I wonder if it will really work for me...

There is a 50s+ thread where you could post your question. You might get more replies.

Cheers!

Jane

My husband complains about the same thing. Both he and I have had the sleeve surgery. He is mid 40's now and states that although he is thrilled with his 100+ pound weight loss he feels like he is falling apart now. Body parts that never hurt before do now and he aches in new places. Fortunately for me, I feel GREAT even better than I did before surgery...no complaints here but I only give it time before age starts kicking in too! :)

I developed some weird inflammatory disease in my early 50s which i fought off for years. i thought that if i lost a lot of weight it would ease it up. Although there are numerous benefits of the 100+ pounds i have lost, the inflammatory problem is not one of them. i don't feel any worse but not any better, as if carting around all that weight makes no difference. rather disappointing.

I am only four months out and hope springs eternal. i am just starting to work on maintenance and building back some of the muscle i lost during the weight loss, so perhaps it will improve. Nevertheless the benefits of the weight loss are legion and my only focus is on getting the maintenance part of this process right. tired of the weight Yo Yo.

Just wondering, what does losing weight have to do with the inflammation, anything? Is this just a disease that you would have had regardless of your VSG? I feel 1000% better having lost weight and am definitely healthier for it.

I too struggle with inflammation at 16 months out.

I am by no means dismissing the advice of others on this thread; rather, I would like you to consider a deficiency in nutrition that might be leading to abnormal levels on inflammation.

While I am a younger guy ( 38 ), I think many of the same remedies may help you. Consider adding 1 tsp of high quality fish oil to your diet and also to target foods in your diet that are anti-inflammatory in nature. If I forget to take the fish oil, everything from my shoulders to hip will start aching. Some of this aching may have to do with the fact I am in Cross fit, but again, fish oil really does help. The more pure it is, the better. Make sure it is molecularly distilled and has high concentrations of EPA and DHA per 1 tsp. The brand I use is called stronger, faster, healthier and has 3100 mg per 5 g of liquid (5 g in a tsp). I take 5 g when I get up and 5 g when I go to bed if really bad. Normally, I just take 1 tsp a day to keep on top or ahead of inflammation.

As for anti-inflammatory foods, consider the following resource:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20705881,00.html Notice fatty fish is #1 in the list. :)

I make it a point of eating these foods in my paleo diet plan, especially fish, dark leafy greens, beets, garlic, onions and coffee. I do not eat low fat dairy or the fruit suggestions as they are not part of my nutrition plan.

For when inflammation gets particularly bad, I have my choices of meds from proxicam to voltaren gel. However, I do try and address inflammation with diet first before turning to the meds.

Hope this helps.

Hi Everyone.

I'm sorry I didn't respond. I only just got a notification in my mailbox that there were replies to this thread!

Thanks for your feedback. To the person who doesn't understand the connection between the surgery and my pains - I don't either. I should be feeling amazing, right?

I had an x-ray of my hips as the pain in my left leg is getting worse. Basically what's visible is "normal" deterioration of the joint. I am doing physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles in my butt and legs but it's rather disheartening. My diet isn't fantastic. I would love to be low carbing but can't seem to let go of the carbs (mostly the sugar!). My physiotherapist said to work out on an exercise bike as this is non weight bearing for me. Also Water aerobics is good for me. This week I walked around supermarkets for a couple of hours and I was in major pain. Sheesh.

I decided to take a supplement with MSM and glucosamine and also Curcumin which is a major anti inflammatory. Regarding the fish oil that you guys have been advising - I wouldn't take fish oil for all the money in the world. The cold Water fish are loaded with mercury and I wouldn't take the molecularly distilled stuff either. All fish oil is heated up to very high temps in order to "remove" the poisons (which is impossible, really) and all oil becomes toxic at those temps. I DO take Omega 3 in the form of Sage - capsules of Chia oil (cold pressed oil), which are very, very high in Omega 3.

Yesterday, I walked quite a distance because my husband had the car and it was ok. I took it slowly. I don't want to act like an invalid!!!

A neighbor is lending me her exercise bike and I hope to get more fit. It's depressing not being able to work out and go walking (real walking). It's so frustrating to feel energetic and able to exercise but not to be able to.

I hope the food supplements I started taking start to kick in soon.

I really can't believe it's coincidental that my body suddenly started to fall apart right after Vertical Sleeve Surgery. There's got to be a connection.

Hi Everyone.

I'm sorry I didn't respond. I only just got a notification in my mailbox that there were replies to this thread!

Thanks for your feedback. To the person who doesn't understand the connection between the surgery and my pains - I don't either. I should be feeling amazing, right?

I had an x-ray of my hips as the pain in my left leg is getting worse. Basically what's visible is "normal" deterioration of the joint. I am doing physiotherapy to strengthen the muscles in my butt and legs but it's rather disheartening. My diet isn't fantastic. I would love to be low carbing but can't seem to let go of the carbs (mostly the sugar!). My physiotherapist said to work out on an exercise bike as this is non weight bearing for me. Also Water aerobics is good for me. This week I walked around supermarkets for a couple of hours and I was in major pain. Sheesh.

I decided to take a supplement with MSM and glucosamine and also Curcumin which is a major anti inflammatory. Regarding the fish oil that you guys have been advising - I wouldn't take fish oil for all the money in the world. The cold Water fish are loaded with mercury and I wouldn't take the molecularly distilled stuff either. All fish oil is heated up to very high temps in order to "remove" the poisons (which is impossible, really) and all oil becomes toxic at those temps. I DO take Omega 3 in the form of Sage - capsules of Chia oil (cold pressed oil), which are very, very high in Omega 3.

Yesterday, I walked quite a distance because my husband had the car and it was ok. I took it slowly. I don't want to act like an invalid!!!

A neighbor is lending me her exercise bike and I hope to get more fit. It's depressing not being able to work out and go walking (real walking). It's so frustrating to feel energetic and able to exercise but not to be able to.

I hope the food supplements I started taking start to kick in soon.

I really can't believe it's coincidental that my body suddenly started to fall apart right after Vertical Sleeve Surgery. There's got to be a connection.

No, you won't always feel "amazing!" I went through a period where I felt great when I first lost the weight (100 pounds) and then about year and half in, started feeling crappy again! Joint pain, etc. I had also regained about 30 pounds. What I found for myself was that I was eating too much commercially prepared foods and not eating cleanly causing my body to revolt! Now that I have once again regained goal and actually, lost another 10 pounds, I am very careful how and WHEN I eat. Also, as an "older" sleever - it just serves to reason, that we are going to have more aches and pains as we go along. We are aging - whether fat or thinner! Just the facts of life - we are just doing all we can to be healthier as we age through the sleeve. Best to you!!!!