Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What I thought were gas pains turned out to be major blood clots.

I am so sorry to hear your journey has been so difficult so far' date=' but very glad to read your story knowing you are still here and able to write it! I too have blood clotting issues. The problem, no one knows why. I too have been tested for any blood clotting disorder under the sun with negative results. It all started years ago when I developed a superficial clot in my right leg. It wasn't a DVT, but it DID hurt the same. I spent a week in bed and then weeks recovering. Years went by and it was forgotten. Then in 2011 I had knee surgery to clean up some arthritis. Surgery went fine, but two days later I developed a DVT behind my knee. I was hospitalized and a day later had and embolism that resulted in blood clots in both of my lungs. I too spent a few days in ICU. That DVT was determined to be because of the surgery, so I spent 6months on blood thinners then went back to my normal life. Early this year I started having problems with my right leg. I feared it was another clot, so I had it checked. In March they said no clot, but probably vasculitis. About a month after my leg was worse, red and swollen from mid calf to my foot. I was checked again and this time a DVT (deep vein thrombosis) was found in my upper thigh. Since there was no known cause, this is what set off the first round of testing. I was put on Lovenox injections for about a week, followed by oral warfarin.(Coumadin) It takes about 3-4 days for warfarin to reach full effectiveness in your system. Anyway, I stayed off work a couple weeks to allow the swelling to go down. I returned to work and on the second day my leg ballooned up and was bright red. My doctor had me sent back to the ER to have the leg rescanned. This time they found the clot had grown larger, and had started to move further up in my vein. A small piece had broken free and I had a second pulmonary embolism. Given the fact I had been under treatment for several weeks when this occurred, that set off alarm bells. I was now being seen by a vascular doctor and a hematologist. I was fitted with an IVC filter to catch any further clots before they reach my heart/lungs. The hematologist ordered every other test imaginable to determine why I was clotting like this. To this day the answer is still unknown. The reason I decided to have WLS in part was to help improve my circulation. I had to clear it with each doctor who treated me for the clots, as well as the other clearances needed. I am on blood thinners for the rest of my life, with surgery I just had to switch from oral to injections for about a week. Since I have the filter already in place, the risk of another embolism was much smaller. ( If I did develop more clots) I walked into surgery a very high risk patient. I took every precaution I could, but knew it was a gamble. And luckily I walked out fairly unscathed. I do have some issues with a couple incisions due to the blood thinners effecting my healing time. ( and the tissue is a bit "mush" ) Other than that I was fortunate that I did ok. Sorry for the long story, but wanted you to know I feel for you and have an idea how you feel. Good luck, speedy recovery, and hope it is smooth sailing here out!!![/quote']

Omg how scary!! Especially for it to keep coming back! I also am on blood thinners for the rest of my life (xarelto). I am very happy you made it through your ordeal. I hope you continue to improve!!!

Omg how scary!! Especially for it to keep coming back! I also am on blood thinners for the rest of my life (xarelto). I am very happy you made it through your ordeal. I hope you continue to improve!!!

My hematologist is planning to put me on Xarelto too. I think it will be much better than warfarin. As good as a blood thinner can be I guess! LOL They are an adjustment, but it all gets better with time.

Glad your on the mend! Where in Denver are you located? I'm in Aurora' date=' there are a few of us around this board... It would be fun to do a meet and greet[/quote']

I'm in Thornton. I first went to North Suburban, then was transported to Rose Medical. I agree it would be awesome for us all to get together!

I'm in Thornton. I first went to North Suburban' date=' then was transported to Rose Medical. I agree it would be awesome for us all to get together![/quote']

I'm headed to Rose Medical tomorrow for panniculectomy and hernia surgery. Nervous but excited, we should plan a meet and greet.

So glad that you are ok and well now!

My hematologist is planning to put me on Xarelto too. I think it will be much better than warfarin. As good as a blood thinner can be I guess! LOL They are an adjustment' date=' but it all gets better with time.[/quote']

With warfarin do you have to go have weekly blood tests?

I'm headed to Rose Medical tomorrow for panniculectomy and hernia surgery. Nervous but excited' date=' we should plan a meet and greet.[/quote']

That is such a great hospital! I am totally down for a get together!

I am glad you had your hubby and grandma by your side!

With warfarin do you have to go have weekly blood tests?

They do test frequently, but as long as I maintain a level for a while they will space out the time between. Right now I am spaced at a month because my INR didn't change much while I was off it for surgery. ( which is good) My only problem is my hematologist and my PCP (who manages my warfarin) have differing opinions on what level my INR should be. My hematologist wants me at a higher INR. He said because I continued to clot while being treated he believes I need even "thinner" blood. But my PCP does NOT like me at a higher dose and thinks it unsafe. I will say when I was put on a higher dose I bruised quite badly (worse than usual) and had other stuff happen. So I feel better at the INR level my PCP has me at, although I guess I could still clot.