Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post surgery CrossFit questions

First of all FIDDLEMAN! We were wondering where you were...

I go to my 4 week checkup this week and we will decide if I can go back then. I am glad Brighteyes to have your input, as I am sure I will be a disaster at the box, but I miss it and need to start up something again. Walking is not cutting it. It's fine, but I miss my people.

But if they tell me 6 weeks I will wait. The timing might be better anyway since we are traveling for Thanksgiving.

That is really something that you are doing cross fit post op 3 weeks. Really! Most of us were still figuring out how to walk without getting winded and /or dealing with pain, fatigue, etc. does your doctor approve of this? Regardless, be careful! Exercise, in general, will get much easier by post op 5-6 months. You are way ahead when I started my cross fit journey (month 7 for me) , so it is definitely new territory. Maybe 1-2 days a week for you and heavily modified. Go easy on the weights and intensity of the met cons. I still struggle with days feeling like crap after 3-4 days in a row @ post op 16 months. Just saying. Cross fit is not easy.

Fiddleman - my workouts are seriously modified and they take me twice as long to do because I get tired. I could go harder on the weights, but I keep it light only so I can get through the whole workout. Doctor is on board with this and very excited for me. I believe the only reason I am even up to doing these workouts is because I worked out really hard for two months prior to surgery. I truly think that is the reason I was able to rebound quickly. My recovery has been remarkably un eventful. I joke with my surgeon if it wasn't for the fact that I feel the restriction and he took pics of my new sleeve I would question if he really ever did the surgery.

First of all FIDDLEMAN! We were wondering where you were... I go to my 4 week checkup this week and we will decide if I can go back then. I am glad Brighteyes to have your input, as I am sure I will be a disaster at the box, but I miss it and need to start up something again. Walking is not cutting it. It's fine, but I miss my people. But if they tell me 6 weeks I will wait. The timing might be better anyway since we are traveling for Thanksgiving.

Besides the other things I mentioned, be sure to listen to your body and underestimate what you can do. My first day back I tried to push myself to hard and it backfired. It's nice having a couple fellow cross fitters on here.

I think we're similar, because I started CF n August also. I am both looking forward to and dreading getting back to it. Not unlike looking forward to and dreading WoDs!

For me it's always a chore getting there...but afterwards I am Superwoman for at least 30 mins before I want to take a nap. So different than before surgery. Oh well. It pays off in the end....now if I could only skip over another week of puréed foods and chew something solid I would be happy!

Good luck you guys! Cross fit is very rewarding. Let me know if you have any questions on mods or anything really. I love it as my new addiction. :)

Would anyone mind speaking to how food plays in with such hardcore workouts, i.e. eating so little. Do you eat pre-workout and post-workout? Thanks for any insight you can offer?

I currently crossfit, run, bike, and swim..

I'm wondering how long i'll have to take a hiatus.. my Doctor recommended 2 weeks no lifting, then weeks 3-4 light, and then said I should be able to be back to where I was before (or at least close). I don't want to lose any of my gains, so I'm working to stay on my workouts until the day before surgery.

Hi all-

I am awaiting LapBand to Sleeve revision. I currently crossfit 3-4 days per week, and I am wondering if I am going to be able to do that post surgery. It's an activity that I love and it would kill me to give it up.

Also, if you did crossfit before surgery, how did you break the news to your coaches and friends at CF that you were taking the surgical route? I'm scared of what their reaction is going to be.

Thanks!

Amanda

I had to break from serious working out for 2 weeks and weightlifting for 4 weeks. I was jogging 3-4 days post surgery.. (sleeve).

I didn't tell them. I told two friends about it.