Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommendation:

In my psych eval the doctor had Krispy Kreme donuts surrounded by an electric fence. I just didn't think that was funny.

Yes, I confess, I was kidding. But from the sound of some of these evaluations, something like that would not be impossible to imagine. To me the psych eval process is a bit questionable in general. My doctor did not require them, which was a big plus as far as I was concerned. Now, if you'll all pardon me, Walt Disney and I need to continue giving Tango lessons to the TeleTubbies. Ole!~!

My Psych guy was as looney as a...well LOON! He was in a sweat suit and his two dogs were in the office with him. He was approximately 40lbs overweight and has had WLS. He had no problem telling me how fat I was either lol! However, he remained fairly professional when he spoke to me....THEN DH went to him a week later...well he was still in his sweat suit with his dogs...DH told me he was flinging the "F" word around like a sailor!!! DH and I don't really swear and we both wondered what about DH made Dr Looney Tune think he could relate to DH that way!? THEN just today, our progam coodinator called me and said to have DH call her, because she received his psych eval and he had some recommendations for follow-up. I took the time to tell her our experience! I don't think they'll be recommending this guy in the future.

Oh my! I guess I should be thankful that fat is my main isssue in life and that I am not hearing voices in my head. That would not be fun!
I understand why they do it, but questions like this can be really misleading. For example, most people hear voices when it's quiet. Very common is to hear "singing". Also common is to hear random statements. And I say hear, even though it's obviously not a physical sound. This occurence has nothing to do with mental disorder and everything to do with what the brain does when it has an absence of stimuli. E.g. stare at something for a very long time, and you'll swear it moved. Stare at yourself in the mirror for a long time and you'll swear your features are distorting. This isn't a mental disfunction, it's your brain responding to an absence of new stimuli. It's kind of the opposite of what happens when you're no longer able to smell your own perfume, even though others can smell it from a distance.

Point being - people that fit the scenarios above could answer "yes" to that question, and unless they were good at explaining why they answered what they did (or given the chance to alltogether),... well, it wouldn't be misinterpreted by a good psychologist, but like any profession - you have your good ones and your not so good.

Whenever I take these standardized tests, the questions crack me up. Especially when they're just fill in the bubble type tests, and don't give you room to comment.

"Sometimes I feel people are talking about me." (Yeah, especially when I hear them mention my name)

"I have thought about suicide." (Kind of hard not to if you watch Dead Poet's Society)

*sigh*

I just got home and listened to my messages...apparently I have to go and retake my MMPI-2!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

What, was I too perfect for them?

Sorry if I love my parents and don't think anyone is trying to poison me and I think women should be sexually free (at least as much as men). Sheesh!

So if I answer everything the same way, are they going to make me retake it AGAIN?

faithmd. Maybe you ranked #1 on the psycho list, and they want to confirm before they commit you. :love:

Uhmm.... but I think your great.

Someone at work asked me why we had to take it... "What, do they think you are going to try and wear the band on your head or something?" BCBSTN requires it so I took it. I'm a kitchen witch/pagan and though *I* myself do not hear voices or see dead people, I do know people that do and I was thinking crap.. they would haul them off in a rubber truck. Also lots of questions leaning toward mulitple personality stuff.. one of them was something like "Do you ever feel like you are more than one person?" HMMMMM let me see.. I weigh over 300 pounds.. don't most people that weigh over 300 lbs feel like more than one person....?

Here is my funny confession:

I came out of the eval (I asked if they were going to clear me for surgery and was told yes) and announced to a waiting room of people (really just talking to my mom) that I was NOT crazy. On the way home my mom pointed out to me that most of the people there probably WERE crazy. Whoops! ~Mandy

faithmd. Maybe you ranked #1 on the psycho list, and they want to confirm before they commit you. :love:

Uhmm.... but I think your great.

Awww, thanks!!!! :rockon: :humble:

So I called the therapists office this morning to find out why I have to retake and to schedule it. I was told that my first MMPI-2 came out as "invalid."

Well, I'm off to be "invalid" a second time.

Perhaps this time around I will bug the heck out of the therapists in the office asking what I should put for the goofier questions.

My insurance requires the evaluation, but does not cover it; so, I was cash pay. The pschologist my surgeon's office recommended was $255 and said they had an opening in about 3 weeks. I called around to a bunch of other offices, and found a doc that said, "oh yeah, I do those all the time. It takes about an hour and it's $75 and I'll have the paperwork to your doc in days. I can see you tomorrow." Just a heads up for those who are self-pay.

I didn't have to do the questionaire, but I did have to play "finish this sentence" (about 50 of 'em!) and do the inkblots (aren't those from the 50's? are they still used???!!!!)