Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so I'm gonna do the 30 day squat and plank challenges. The plank challenge I am pretty sure that I can accomplish but this squat challenge is giving me palpitations a little! By the end of the month you are doing 250 squats. Are these designed to be done all at once or can they be broken up into sets of like 50 throughout the day? I just want to make sure I'm going to do it right. If I'm going to do it I want it to be like it is designed so I get the best results possible!!

Okay so I'm gonna do the 30 day squat and plank challenges. The plank challenge I am pretty sure that I can accomplish but this squat challenge is giving me palpitations a little! By the end of the month you are doing 250 squats. Are these designed to be done all at once or can they be broken up into sets of like 50 throughout the day? I just want to make sure I'm going to do it right. If I'm going to do it I want it to be like it is designed so I get the best results possible!!
Try starting out with 10 air squats. Focus on going parallel or lower. You will not get the benefits of a squat if you do not get at least parallel. You should feel the resistance in your gluts, hamstrings. I found these challenging at first because I am a stiff board. Just starting to get flexible. They key to a good squat is find the mobility in your hips, being able to push them back and also being able to rotate your ankles. Rotating your ankles 30% or so is key while still remaining flat footed, but is hard. Keep your weight in your heals. Always think about a straight line from the top of your head, down to the ground between your shoulders and your feet. Keep your shoulders relaxed and aligned above your hips. Strong core. Knees should bend out slightly when you deepen. That is where the real power will come from. Do not let your knees buckle. Feet should be rotated out a little, but not too much. Your knees should track your feet. Keep your back straight or just slightly inverted at the lumbar. Flat is key. You will get hurt if you have an outward bend in your back, especially if you add weight. So much to keep track of. Trust me. I have been working on squat variations with and without weight for 8 months and it is still a conscious effort to keep good form.

Try starting out with 10 air squats. Focus on going parallel or lower. You will not get the benefits of a squat if you do not get at least parallel. You should feel the resistance in your gluts, hamstrings. I found these challenging at first because I am a stiff board. Just starting to get flexible. They key to a good squat is find the mobility in your hips, being able to push them back and also being able to rotate your ankles. Rotating your ankles 30% or so is key while still remaining flat footed, but is hard. Keep your weight in your heals. Always think about a straight line from the top of your head, down to the ground between your shoulders and your feet. Keep your shoulders relaxed and aligned above your hips. Strong core. Knees should bend out slightly when you deepens. Feet should be roasted out a little, but not too much. Your knees should track your feet. So much to keep track of. Trust me. I have been working on squat variations with and without weight for 8 months and it is still a conscious effort to keep good form.

I think I have got good form, I've been working on squats for a while now but not as consistently as I would like. I am seeing a difference and I want to do this challenge to see if I can get a bigger difference. You are right, there is TONS to think about all while doing one measly squat. I have not done any squats in just over a week but I was doing 30 3 x per week for like 3-4 weeks and my legs stayed sore the whole time. I go parallel to the floor but I haven't gotten past that yet. I'm working on my flexibility but still have a ways to go on that too. Thanks for the advice, I REALLY appreciate it! I need all the help I can get!

You are welcome. I still work on the deep squat with form almost daily. It is one of those forms you can keep getting better at. Same applies to any compound movement like dead lift, power clean, etc.

You are welcome. I still work on the deep squat with form almost daily. It is one of those forms you can keep getting better at. Same applies to any compound movement like dead lift, power clean, etc.

So when I was doing my squats last night I was really concentrating on my form. You are so right, it is a conscious effort every time! I still think I have pretty good form but really paying attention to it makes it that much more difficult. Thanks again for the advice :)

By the way - my overhead squat has so much to be desired. If anyone has advice to help me, I am all ears. When I extend a bar over my head locked out with no weight, my lower back locks up. I am not sure how to describe it, but I can barely go down a single inch before my back just locks up. Does not give at all. I have a suspicion it is my scapula causing the issue, but the tightness lays below the scapula. They get fully contracted just by lifting my arms straight up overhead. Anyways, seeking some advice. Good news is I am good at dead lifts and bench presses. Overhead stuff and squats are my nemesis and I really wish I had a magic technique to instantly make my body do them.