Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 days Post-Op & Feeling Down

Today is day 10 Post-Op and I am feeling a bit down. I have NEVER been an emotional guy so this is strange and it is even stranger that I am throwing it out here.

I can drink without issue and for that I am thankful. I am also thankful that my Dr. said I could move to stage 3 after 1 week.

However, These things are getting to my head and make me HATE eating.

1) I don't like that I can not eat my full meal (3oz. of food)

2) I don't like how I feel after I eat. I don't feel the you need to stop eating felling until it is too late and then I feel there is a golf ball in my throat

a) This takes me to item #1

I also have an issue with what I thought was my best friend & boss that basically dropped me and my family after WLS because we have "core differences" (he thinks I should have lost weight without WLS). I am basically dropped until I can eat a full size steak. If that is true, I am dropped forever because I don't need that in my life, but it is still real.

I think I feel down because I hate to eat and I don't know how long this will be. I just want to be able to eat 4oz of meat and a few bites of veggies without being sick. have got the slimes twice and one time I thought I was under eating. Who knows.

You are right in the fact you will likely never eat a full steak again... That being said you are only 10 days out and what you are experiencing is very normal. I am now almost 7 months out and I can tell you it does get better. That full feeling will come with much less pain and discomfort. I get full now but it does not hurt at all.

As for your boss/best friend well I question if he truly was your best friend in the first place. A true friend would not judge you in this way in my opinion. Trust me there are plenty of folks you can be friends with that will not be like this!

I 100% agree with you on the friend thing. That is weak and shallow.

I don't ever want to eat that 16oz Bone-In NY Strip again, but I would like to be able to eat 4-5 oz and some veggies...

How long till you start to feel like you are eating like a human and not a weirdo?

It took me between week 4-6 to start truely feeling human again.

You are also releasing estrogen which is stored in fat. There could be nothing wrong in your life and you would still feel down and depressed. Welcome to the female part of your body! :)

Bad news is it is normal and happens of all of us. Good news is...well the same really. Also that it goes away. I was worried I was going to be all emotional for weeks but I wasn't. It comes and goes now, and mostly goes.

Sorry to hear you're going through it nonetheless. And your boss is being an a/s--but you already know that.

I 100% agree with you on the friend thing. That is weak and shallow.

I don't ever want to eat that 16oz Bone-In NY Strip again, but I would like to be able to eat 4-5 oz and some veggies...

How long till you start to feel like you are eating like a human and not a weirdo?

About 2 months for me. You will get there my friend! All in due time!

Gamergirl is right. There is a lot going on biologically.

Everything you described is normal. In six weeks you will feel like yourself again and you will love it. Enjoy the fact that you can get all your Water in- that's your job now :).

Today is day 10 Post-Op and I am feeling a bit down. I have NEVER been an emotional guy so this is strange and it is even stranger that I am throwing it out here.

I can drink without issue and for that I am thankful. I am also thankful that my Dr. said I could move to stage 3 after 1 week.

However' date=' These things are getting to my head and make me HATE eating.

1) I don't like that I can not eat my full meal (3oz. of food)

2) I don't like how I feel after I eat. I don't feel the you need to stop eating felling until it is too late and then I feel there is a golf ball in my throat

a) This takes me to item #1

I also have an issue with what I thought was my best friend & boss that basically dropped me and my family after WLS because we have "core differences" (he thinks I should have lost weight without WLS). I am basically dropped until I can eat a full size steak. If that is true, I am dropped forever because I don't need that in my life, but it is still real.

I think I feel down because I hate to eat and I don't know how long this will be. I just want to be able to eat 4oz of meat and a few bites of veggies without being sick. have got the slimes twice and one time I thought I was under eating. Who knows.[/quote']

Hang in there, this process is going to be emotional and the coping mechanism we usually have is no longer there. Just look at all of the many bright sides.

You are right in the fact you will likely never eat a full steak again... That being said you are only 10 days out and what you are experiencing is very normal. I am now almost 7 months out and I can tell you it does get better. That full feeling will come with much less pain and discomfort. I get full now but it does not hurt at all.

As for your boss/best friend well I question if he truly was your best friend in the first place. A true friend would not judge you in this way in my opinion. Trust me there are plenty of folks you can be friends with that will not be like this!

I agree, we will probably all be put in situations where we question old friendships. Recovering alcoholics and drug addicts have to revisit the foundation of friendships too.

Hang in there' date=' this process is going to be emotional and the coping mechanism we usually have is no longer there. Just look at all of the many bright sides.[/quote']

You're talking about BOOZE, right?

Ya know I have been an emotional wreck the past few days. I am 7 days post op. I was wondering why I am feeling the way I am and the estrogen thing makes perfect sense or at least my husband will buy it lol.

And you are eating meat already!?!?

Wow..anyone who would treat you that way for taking control of your future health and happiness is no one to spend a second missing... I also have the same issues with food, there seems to be no rime or reason to how much I can eat one time and then the next no go. One day 4 shrimp is good, next time I am yacking two up. For me it has been 6 months, and I am still learning, but it does get better for sure. Most of the time the issue for me comes down to eating to quickly. Seems weird with only 3 bites, but still too quick, and I always pay for that if I do. It is normal t miss what was once your way of life and I am sure everyone on here will tell you it gets better, and It does.. Dont let anyone make you feel bad for choosing health over fitting in. It is not an easy way out, there is nothing easy about this, but it is a great option and it works, sometimes faster, sometimes not, sometimes it seems I am stuck at the same place for a month or more, but in the end, you feel better each day.. You will look back in a few months and be so happy with your success, your health and your life. Hang in there...

Wow..anyone who would treat you that way for taking control of your future health and happiness is no one to spend a second missing... I also have the same issues with food' date=' there seems to be no rime or reason to how much I can eat one time and then the next no go. One day 4 shrimp is good, next time I am yacking two up. For me it has been 6 months, and I am still learning, but it does get better for sure. Most of the time the issue for me comes down to eating to quickly. Seems weird with only 3 bites, but still too quick, and I always pay for that if I do. It is normal t miss what was once your way of life and I am sure everyone on here will tell you it gets better, and It does.. Dont let anyone make you feel bad for choosing health over fitting in. It is not an easy way out, there is nothing easy about this, but it is a great option and it works, sometimes faster, sometimes not, sometimes it seems I am stuck at the same place for a month or more, but in the end, you feel better each day.. You will look back in a few months and be so happy with your success, your health and your life. Hang in there...[/quote']

So the amount your stomach can handle changes day to day aftervsurgery?