Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey!!!

I had my surgery on 7/15 date of surgery I was 253, and as of today I am 198, total loss 55 pounds. I just hit my 3 month mark about 2 weeks ago and like clockwork I am loosing hair. I have ALOT of hair and it's very thick so it's not noticeable to anyone but me but I'm noticing more hair in the front is coming out than in the back and I am definently seeing some bald spots. Also I've noticed my hair texture has changed? When I use to wash it, it would feel silky and soft and now it's coarse and tangley.

What do u do when there is Hair loss is it a good idea to cut your hair? My hair is long almost to my lower back.

Would appreciate the input

Hey!!!

I had my surgery on 7/15 date of surgery I was 253, and as of today I am 198, total loss 55 pounds. I just hit my 3 month mark about 2 weeks ago and like clockwork I am loosing hair. I have ALOT of hair and it's very thick so it's not noticeable to anyone but me but I'm noticing more hair in the front is coming out than in the back and I am definently seeing some bald spots. Also I've noticed my hair texture has changed? When I use to wash it, it would feel silky and soft and now it's coarse and tangley.

What do u do when there is Hair loss is it a good idea to cut your hair? My hair is long almost to my lower back.

Would appreciate the input

You poor thing to be losing with nice long hair. If money is not an issue argan oil will help with texture. Biotin (Hair, skin and nails capsules) can be taken to feel like you are doing something about it and those scalp massaging brushes have worked for ladies with thin hair to increase thickness overall (sounds scary to brush more when you say it’s coming out that much I know).

I was losing it before the op even and they put me on the pill for it. I lost more once I had the surgery. I am off the pill now and am not losing hair anymore either. I have cut my hair really short anyway now though and it looks great luckily but now cause it’s fixed I could grow it back lovely if I wanted. I have curly hair so before I just got mine chopped to get the weight out and it would spring up and you really couldn’t tell I was losing it but same as you, it was only me that knew it anyway cause my hair is so thick in the first place.

So, what stopped the hair loss for me in my opinion ? High quality Probiotics. I think that a major contributor to hair loss is a lack of good bacteria. I had my hairloss stop abruptly when I started taking a high quality probiotic with 12 strains of good bacteria, which I mix with barley leaf powder. I read about it in a book that I borrowed from my bowen therapists library. It was called do you have the guts to be really healthy. The name of the product that the book recommends (and so the one I bought) is Nuferm organic 2012. I was doing all the other things I said above too and it could have been coincidence I guess but the time frame of the hairloss ceasing definitely correlated with me starting the probiotic. It could have even been a placebo effect I guess because I had been reading all this stuff about how the right bacteria will cure just about anything that ails you because they are saying that it’s not what you eat it’s what you absorb. When I think about the sleeve operation I can picture that we would lose the majority of our beneficial gut flora due to nature of the surgery in itself. This makes a lot of sense to me with hindsight that if we do not replace the beneficial bacteria then it is compromised. It makes sense that our bodies will suffer in one way or another (ie: hairloss) if we are now eating very modest portions and are not able to absorb it properly.

The one I bought was premium I know ($ :() but the book describes why it needs to be – I considered just going to the health food shop instead and just buying something mainstream but the features and benefits and comparisons and logic behind it made me take the plunge and fork out the dollars because I believed in it so much and then – it worked. Nice.

Mine is long as well and was thick too.

hair loss started at 3 months, I'm 11 months out, and it's still coming out. The only great thing: it grows back!!!!

I think it's just one of those things that comes with the sleeve :(

My surgery was 5/22 & 78 lbs gone, but no hair loss. Knock on wood. It could start tomorrow & i wouldnt be shocked. I feel like if I escape this aspect of WLS, i will attribute it to:

Hitting my Protein goals consistantly from early on

Getting my calories up to 900 average early on as well, by incorporating healthy fats like avocado

Taking Biotin and my Multivitamins daily

Not washing hair every day (i use dry Shampoo in between)

When i shampoo, i first put cocnut oil on the ends to protect them and i take my time and really massage my scalp while im washing my hair

If it does thin, i would first try a product called topik, which is this spray Fiber stuff that camoflages thin spots. I also have long hair & a lot of it...last resort would be a shorter cut until it grew back.

And thats the good news: not once have i read a vet on here saying it doesnt grow back! So hang in there, it will come back and be as glorious as ever!