Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What shrinks your liver?

Hello everyone, I have a quick question. What shrinks your liver? Is it the amount of Water or fluids? Is it the all liquid diet? Is it the all liquid diet with Protein Shakes and if your lucky one very small high Protein meal a day? I guess my question is... Is it the protein or Fluid? My pre-op diet is all Clear Liquids and just one Protein Shake a day. Every other day because I can't take it and I'm about to pass out I eat a boiled egg, is that really bad? I won't eat an egg the last 4 days of the diet. Please remember I'm on day 5 of this diet and this may not make sense. Lol lol Let me know your thoughts and thank you for your replies.

From what I understand its the weight loss that shrinks your liver, not what you eat.

weight loss

It is absolutely what you eat - or more importantly do not eat!

Upping the Protein and drastically reducing carbohydrate/glycogen stores it what shrinks it - not weight loss and not Water. Though excellent hydration helps move things along as always.

Rapid weight loss happens to be a nice side effect - as glycogen requires 3 times its weight in Water to process - so for every unit of glycogen burned, 3 units of water come with it. this is why people usually drop at lest 10 lbs in a week on Atkins or other very low carb or no carb protocols.

Livers that are not shrunk prior to surgery with a VLcarb diet are like Foie Gras - spongy and soft and easily damaged when lifted with the retractor to get to your stomach.

Edited by Chimera

http://www.theiflife.com/carbs-are-not-the-enemy-for-weight-loss-the-carb-confusion-is/

It is actually both the low carb and calorie restriction. The low carb part causes the body to get it's glucose by breaking down stored glycogen in the liver and muscles.

I was wondering the same. My surgeon at Duke isn't requiring a pre op diet (but I think it varies by patient bc my friend who is doing it - and 75lbs heavier and 35 years older has to), just the day before bowl prep. But I am upping my Protein, Water and such on my own anyway.

It is absolutely what you eat - or more importantly do not eat!

Upping the Protein and drastically reducing carbohydrate/glycogen stores it what shrinks it - not weight loss and not Water. Though excellent hydration helps move things along as always.

Rapid weight loss happens to be a nice side effect - as glycogen requires 3 times its weight in Water to process - so for every unit of glycogen burned, 3 units of water come with it. this is why people usually drop at lest 10 lbs in a week on Atkins or other very low carb or no carb protocols.

Livers that are not shrunk prior to surgery with a VLcarb diet are like Foie Gras - spongy and soft and easily damaged when lifted with the retractor to get to your stomach.

What Chimera said...

What shrinks your liver are the following:

Lower caloric intake

Lower fat intake

Lower carb intake.

I think we're told to be on a liquid Protein diet because it meets all those requirements without much thought or choice.

This is my 1st of 10 day liquid diet...n I'm cranky, hungry as hell, n I have a darn headache...all I keep doing is thinking of the end result...I'm actually looking forward to my shake tonight...can I take a Tylenol PM 2night???

I don't think there's any reason not to take a tylenol pm. Do you need the tylenol in it? Do you need the benadryl in it? It is not an NSAID, and is not contraindicated per my surgeon.

I don't think there's any reason not to take a tylenol pm. Do you need the tylenol in it? Do you need the benadryl in it? It is not an NSAID' date=' and is not contraindicated per my surgeon.[/quote']

Yup, I need both...I have a headache n I need to sleep

Im on day 5 and surgery is tue I am so weak cause im not getting enough of anything I want to hurl everything nothing tastes good and I have to chug what I do drink ive got to have some energy my dr wont allow what others can do mine is strict liquid but I hear people r eating pickles and celery would the dr know a diff

Hello everyone' date=' I have a quick question. What shrinks your liver? Is it the amount of Water or fluids? Is it the all liquid diet? Is it the all liquid diet with Protein shakes and if your lucky one very small high Protein meal a day? I guess my question is... Is it the protein or Fluid? My pre-op diet is all Clear liquids and just one Protein shake a day. Every other day because I can't take it and I'm about to pass out I eat a boiled egg, is that really bad? I won't eat an egg the last 4 days of the diet. Please remember I'm on day 5 of this diet and this may not make sense. Lol lol Let me know your thoughts and thank you for your replies.[/quote']

I've been told by my bariatric team that the opti fast shrinks your liver and fatty tissue before surgery.

New me on the way

Im on day 5 and surgery is tue I am so weak cause im not getting enough of anything I want to hurl everything nothing tastes good and I have to chug what I do drink ive got to have some energy my dr wont allow what others can do mine is strict liquid but I hear people r eating pickles and celery would the dr know a diff

Forget about what others are doing. They are disobeying their doctor's advice in some case. You just stick to your doctors orders and take care of your poor, new tummy. The liquids are so that you don't develop a leak or blow a staple out of your stomach. Definitely not worth risking death or months in the hospital with your family worrying, for the sake of a pickle or anything really.

Thank you all for the replies to my question, I really appreciate it. So my diet is good then. I have had no fats or carbs just 1 boiled egg every other day, just sugar free fluids and 1 or two Protein Shakes a day. I am feeling weak and a very bad attitude. So far... I've been called into my bosses office twice in four days! Lmao! I do work with cupcakes thou.

Xoxoxo to all of you guys & gals.