Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any food addicts here?

annag' date=' I completely understand where you're coming from. Are you taking anti-depressants? If not, you should. I am taking some, because it got really depressed and my eating addiction had gotten worse. MUCH worse. And I'd hate myself right after bingeing, but do it all over again, whether or not I felt full. Please find out what is going on with your doctor, and also talk about getting anti-depressants. Let us know what your doctor says. I hope everything's fine. I'm sorry you are going through this and can eat so much :-(

Good luck[/quote']

Yes I take anti- depressants two kinds. I was never like this. My eating habit is beyond crazy. I think about food every second of the day. And the thing I don't fell bad after I eat all tat food and junk food. I am mentally screwed up lol and can't seem to get out of it.

this battle is multi-focal. The sleeve helps' date=' but the real work is in our heads. Maybe now is the time for outside help? ... therapy? I read this as a cry for help, and I worry for you. In another thread there are discussions by folks who can eat a little of 'anything'. Well, not me. I can't have a 'little' because a 'little' is not in my fat-brain's vocabulary.

I will never be normal. I can lose weight. I can keep weight off. But only by working hard each and every day.

Read Laura's posts (and the others) over again, and, welcome to our club.[/quote']

I would love to get outside help. But with no job and no money and soon no insurance. I can't get help. Everyone is gonna not take me anymore and I can't afford to pay it full. I just need to control my mind which I seem to that I can't, it's a struggle for me every second of the day :(

I can honestly say before surgery I love to eat! I enjoyed good food. After surgery I still enjoy good food but I mostly crave healthy foods oddly fried and fatty foods just don't look appetizing anymore. After sleeve I can eat 2 chips and and that'll last me weeks and I never have a sweet tooth anymore. Sleeve has changed my life so much I don't even miss it. I love the good healthy food I eat I crave that now! I wish everyone the best!

There should be a

I would love to get outside help. But with no job and no money and soon no insurance. I can't get help. Everyone is gonna not take me anymore and I can't afford to pay it full. I just need to control my mind which I seem to that I can't, it's a struggle for me every second of the day :(

annag, there should be a Region (#) office (run by the gov't) somewhere close to you. For example, I am in Region 8. They offer mental health services and only charge based on your ability to pay. Plus there may be other facilities in your area that are locally run. Please do some research and see if you can find one of these or ask your doctor. If your doctor is already prescribing two anti depressants and this isn't "curing" the problem, then he/she should be able to help you find a therapist.

There should be a

annag' date=' there should be a Region (#) office (run by the gov't) somewhere close to you. For example, I am in Region 8. They offer mental health services and only charge based on your ability to pay. Plus there may be other facilities in your area that are locally run. Please do some research and see if you can find one of these or ask your doctor. If your doctor is already prescribing two anti depressants and this isn't "curing" the problem, then he/she should be able to help you find a therapist.[/quote']

He told me to go to a therapist but no money and no insurance will be tough. But thank you I am going to check out that info you gave me. God bless you

I found a free Over Eaters Anonymous meeting in my area you may want to check into that.

I found a free Over Eaters Anonymous meeting in my area you may want to check into that.

Really??? Yea I definitely have to check that out. Thank you

annag...no problem I am glad I was able to help! Now if I could only take my own advice and go to one of the meetings and get help! Keep me posted on how you are doing and you can even private email me

I suddenly feel like the floor has dropped out from underneath me..... I was reading this thread when I realized that most of what I read described me to a tee. I realized that just like I didn't SEE myself as obese, which I still am. I didn't SEE myself in the category of being addicted to food. Just like it took seeing a picture of myself last Christmas to realize HOW obese I actually was..... Reading the posts on here suddenly became a slap in the face. The kind that wakes u up. I realized that at six months out I am starting to exhibit some of the old behaviors that brought me to have the surgery in the first place! Holy crap!!! I felt all sweaty and panicky I can NOT fail at this too! I HAVE to get it under control NOW, not just sweep it back under the rug where it was Hiding nicely.

I am grateful for the honest posts on here. Thank you for not pulling your punches. I am going to strive to be honest with myself so I will be able to continue this journey successfully

My name is Kimberly. And I AM a food addict.

I suddenly feel like the floor has dropped out from underneath me..... I was reading this thread when I realized that most of what I read described me to a tee. I realized that just like I didn't SEE myself as obese' date=' which I still am. I didn't SEE myself in the category of being addicted to food. Just like it took seeing a picture of myself last Christmas to realize HOW obese I actually was..... Reading the posts on here suddenly became a slap in the face. The kind that wakes u up. I realized that at six months out I am starting to exhibit some of the old behaviors that brought me to have the surgery in the first place! Holy crap!!! I felt all sweaty and panicky I can NOT fail at this too! I HAVE to get it under control NOW, not just sweep it back under the rug where it was Hiding nicely. I am grateful for the honest posts on here. Thank you for not pulling your punches. I am going to strive to be honest with myself so I will be able to continue this journey successfully My name is Kimberly. And I AM a food addict.[/quote']

Many of us are only realizing this after we've been sleeved so you are in good company. There's a thread Laura started called enabling that has some really good descriptions of food addiction. It was educational for me and you might benefit from that too.

Knowing and accepting is half the battle and now we know. Time to arm against the dragon, right?

Sooo true gamer girl. Thanks I will check out the thread for sure.

I have realized for over a yr I was a food addict! I have spoken to my psych nurse practitioner and counselor about my concerns. Neither one will use the words food addict , or even really acknowledge it is an actual problem! no direction for help in dealing w the issue. Why is it so hard to get anyone to acknowledge that this is a true eating disorder? We need help too! Just ignoring the problem doesn't make it disappear!

I have looked up OA, I live in DFW and even here it is not easy to decipher their meeting sched or have a local mtg:( so I am hoping my sleeve will help me deal w this , I know it's not a cure though

I've been reading this thread for the last couple of days.... I have started to answer once or twice only to erase and say why bother.

The fact of the matter responses from people that are further out often fall on deaf ears to the newly or about to be sleeved..

They (I did too) like to here the good not the bad.

Yes I have (not had) a food addiction. I am a binge (in secret) eater so I can relate to those of you that do it in secret.

When I first talked about wanting this surgery my husband said "why? You never eat".. I have since opened up to him and told him my dirty secrets.

Ok first off the sleeve DOES NOT CURE FOOD ADDICTION! I need to get that out there. I read lipstick lady's response about it stopping her by throwing up. And another poster two weeks out agreeing with her and assuming this is the way it's going to be for everyone. Not so.

I love you lipstick you know that! But not all of us puke. I have not puked since being in the hospital.

Also the first 6 months? You are still healing believe it or not and for some of us it's easier to stay on track.. I say some of us because more and more I read posts from people that are very early out and are already falling back into their addictive ways. I didn't only because I was scared and followed what my doctor said to do.

Ok things change after the so called "honeymoon" period eating gets easier and you get hungrier and your capacity increases all at the same time like butter said.

But let's get back to addiction. I am an addict I ate when I was not hungry I ate till there was pain. So the pain of being full is not a new sensation.I would stuff food and I would wait and eat again. Obviously my need for food was not my stomach it was my head (and my mouth that constantly watered for food and the want to chew, taste).

The sleeve did not cure this. Yes it's a great tool and I've lost some weight, But I fight my addiction everyday still. Maybe I'm just hard core messed up..more than the rest? Maybe not. I see lots and lots of people that have had surgery and lose initially only to gain it back.. So I'm going to guess I'm not the only one that's got a problem with food.

I still wake up thinking about food and a lot of times I go to bed thinking about it. I still sneak into the kitchen and stuff something in my mouth when no one is looking (yes as I said I am a sneak eater) I'm succeeding for the most part. But I am still an addict and I will be the rest of my life.

Also the fact of the matter is junk food goes down so much easier than dense Protein ( you know the stuff we are supposed to eat) so it can really play with that addicted brain that wants more and more.

My name is Laura I am addicted to food and I'm a year out from VSG surgery.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone, Laura. I get so dismayed seeing the posts of people who are about as far out as me talking about how they still struggle to eat enough or how they never feel like eating. I'd think to myself - are they lying to themselves or am I the one who's failing? I can probably eat 1000 calories a day at almost 5 months post op. Maybe a tad more. My surgeon only wants me eating 800. Most days I am good and stay within bounds and work out at the gym like a beast but last week I kinda fell off the wagon and landed flat on my butt.

There have been times where I know I have eaten more than I should. Way more. But never once did I vomit. I had hoped this would happen to me, to keep me on track, but perhaps years of stuffing my bigger stomach full of food has made my esophageal sphincter weak, who knows. I'm scared I will be one of the ones who fails to lose the weight I need to or puts it back on over time. I've come so far damnit!! For a couple months I wouldn't go near a baked good or candy and then suddenly last week I had one bite and it was like all my hard work went flying out the window. I cannot do moderation yet. I don't know if I ever will. I want my honeymoon phase back :( . But since I can't go backwards in time, I am going back to group support and turning back to the Protein Shakes because forcing their fake sweet, splenda-fied taste into my mouth put me off of chocolate and sweets for weeks.

My name is Rachel and I'm a food addict.

Edited by BKLYNgal87