Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any food addicts here?

I've been reading this thread for the last couple of days.... I have started to answer once or twice only to erase and say why bother. The fact of the matter responses from people that are further out often fall on deaf ears to the newly or about to be sleeved.. They (I did too) like to here the good not the bad. Yes I have (not had) a food addiction. I am a binge (in secret) eater so I can relate to those of you that do it in secret. When I first talked about wanting this surgery my husband said "why? You never eat".. I have since opened up to him and told him my dirty secrets. Ok first off the sleeve DOES NOT CURE food ADDICTION! I need to get that out there. I read lipstick lady's response about it stopping her by throwing up. And another poster two weeks out agreeing with her and assuming this is the way it's going to be for everyone. Not so. I love you lipstick you know that! But not all of us puke. I have not puked since being in the hospital. Also the first 6 months? You are still healing believe it or not and for some of us it's easier to stay on track.. I say some of us because more and more I read posts from people that are very early out and are already falling back into their addictive ways. I didn't only because I was scared and followed what my doctor said to do. Ok things change after the so called "honeymoon" period eating gets easier and you get hungrier and your capacity increases all at the same time like butter said. But let's get back to addiction. I am an addict I ate when I was not hungry I ate till there was pain. So the pain of being full is not a new sensation.I would stuff food and I would wait and eat again. Obviously my need for food was not my stomach it was my head (and my mouth that constantly watered for food and the want to chew' date=' taste). The sleeve did not cure this. Yes it's a great tool and I've lost some weight, But I fight my addiction everyday still. Maybe I'm just hard core messed up..more than the rest? Maybe not. I see lots and lots of people that have had surgery and lose initially only to gain it back.. So I'm going to guess I'm not the only one that's got a problem with food. I still wake up thinking about food and a lot of times I go to bed thinking about it. I still sneak into the kitchen and stuff something in my mouth when no one is looking (yes as I said I am a sneak eater) I'm succeeding for the most part. But I am still an addict and I will be the rest of my life. Also the fact of the matter is junk food goes down so much easier than dense Protein ( you know the stuff we are supposed to eat) so it can really play with that addicted brain that wants more and more. My name is Laura I am addicted to food and I'm a year out from VSG surgery.[/quote']

Laura, thanks for this post.

My name is Linda and I am addicted to food and I'm almost 5 months out from surgery. I already have an increased capacity, increased hunger, and eating is as easy as pie (pun intended).

I've been reading this thread for the last couple of days.... I have started to answer once or twice only to erase and say why bother.

The fact of the matter responses from people that are further out often fall on deaf ears to the newly or about to be sleeved..

They (I did too) like to here the good not the bad.

Yes I have (not had) a food addiction. I am a binge (in secret) eater so I can relate to those of you that do it in secret.

When I first talked about wanting this surgery my husband said "why? You never eat".. I have since opened up to him and told him my dirty secrets.

Ok first off the sleeve DOES NOT CURE food ADDICTION! I need to get that out there. I read lipstick lady's response about it stopping her by throwing up. And another poster two weeks out agreeing with her and assuming this is the way it's going to be for everyone. Not so.

I love you lipstick you know that! But not all of us puke. I have not puked since being in the hospital.

Also the first 6 months? You are still healing believe it or not and for some of us it's easier to stay on track.. I say some of us because more and more I read posts from people that are very early out and are already falling back into their addictive ways. I didn't only because I was scared and followed what my doctor said to do.

Ok things change after the so called "honeymoon" period eating gets easier and you get hungrier and your capacity increases all at the same time like butter said.

But let's get back to addiction. I am an addict I ate when I was not hungry I ate till there was pain. So the pain of being full is not a new sensation.I would stuff food and I would wait and eat again. Obviously my need for food was not my stomach it was my head (and my mouth that constantly watered for food and the want to chew' date=' taste).

The sleeve did not cure this. Yes it's a great tool and I've lost some weight, But I fight my addiction everyday still. Maybe I'm just hard core messed up..more than the rest? Maybe not. I see lots and lots of people that have had surgery and lose initially only to gain it back.. So I'm going to guess I'm not the only one that's got a problem with food.

I still wake up thinking about food and a lot of times I go to bed thinking about it. I still sneak into the kitchen and stuff something in my mouth when no one is looking (yes as I said I am a sneak eater) I'm succeeding for the most part. But I am still an addict and I will be the rest of my life.

Also the fact of the matter is junk food goes down so much easier than dense Protein ( you know the stuff we are supposed to eat) so it can really play with that addicted brain that wants more and more.

My name is Laura I am addicted to food and I'm a year out from VSG surgery.[/quote']

Love you Laura-Ven

Laura' date=' thanks for this post. My name is Linda and I am addicted to food and I'm almost 5 months out from surgery. I already have an increased capacity, increased hunger, and eating is as easy as pie (pun intended). [/quote']

Wags (Linda) thank you for being honest. I think being open and honest is the thing that helps us. I would never talk about this outside of therapy. But now when I struggle I talk! I tell you guys here and I tell my husband. If I sneak and eat MOST times I tell him so it's not a secret and I can examine it in the light of day and talk about the feelings behind it.

Love you Laura-Ven
Love you too :)

Edited by laura-ven

I've been reading this thread for the last couple of days.... I have started to answer once or twice only to erase and say why bother. The fact of the matter responses from people that are further out often fall on deaf ears to the newly or about to be sleeved.. They (I did too) like to here the good not the bad. Yes I have (not had) a food addiction. I am a binge (in secret) eater so I can relate to those of you that do it in secret. When I first talked about wanting this surgery my husband said "why? You never eat".. I have since opened up to him and told him my dirty secrets. Ok first off the sleeve DOES NOT CURE food ADDICTION! I need to get that out there. I read lipstick lady's response about it stopping her by throwing up. And another poster two weeks out agreeing with her and assuming this is the way it's going to be for everyone. Not so. I love you lipstick you know that! But not all of us puke. I have not puked since being in the hospital. Also the first 6 months? You are still healing believe it or not and for some of us it's easier to stay on track.. I say some of us because more and more I read posts from people that are very early out and are already falling back into their addictive ways. I didn't only because I was scared and followed what my doctor said to do. Ok things change after the so called "honeymoon" period eating gets easier and you get hungrier and your capacity increases all at the same time like butter said. But let's get back to addiction. I am an addict I ate when I was not hungry I ate till there was pain. So the pain of being full is not a new sensation.I would stuff food and I would wait and eat again. Obviously my need for food was not my stomach it was my head (and my mouth that constantly watered for food and the want to chew' date=' taste). The sleeve did not cure this. Yes it's a great tool and I've lost some weight, But I fight my addiction everyday still. Maybe I'm just hard core messed up..more than the rest? Maybe not. I see lots and lots of people that have had surgery and lose initially only to gain it back.. So I'm going to guess I'm not the only one that's got a problem with food. I still wake up thinking about food and a lot of times I go to bed thinking about it. I still sneak into the kitchen and stuff something in my mouth when no one is looking (yes as I said I am a sneak eater) I'm succeeding for the most part. But I am still an addict and I will be the rest of my life. Also the fact of the matter is junk food goes down so much easier than dense Protein ( you know the stuff we are supposed to eat) so it can really play with that addicted brain that wants more and more. My name is Laura I am addicted to food and I'm a year out from VSG surgery.[/quote']

I can definitely see truth in this. Yes I am a newbie, but I still struggle...I used to eat just to eat, not from hunger and even though I'm "new" I still have to make myself not do that...I track everything (and HATE it) and I know I'm accountable to others on MFP...it keeps me in check - even though I have not always made the best choices.

I'm so worried I will fail at this and because of that I try to make sure to do as I'm supposed to. I never want to gain alla the weight I lost back again and I want to continue to lose - I need to for myself.

It's actually veterans like you, Butter, Jane, etc.. That give me hope. This forum is my lifeline right now. I do have friends who have had VSG but still, I get most of my "help" right here. 3 of my friends who had VSG have never followed any advice from doctors, which I don't wanna do for sure.

So to all of you, thank you for allowing me to learn from your experiences and answering all of the questions that I ask:) it's been really nice

I can definitely see truth in this. Yes I am a newbie' date=' but I still struggle...I used to eat just to eat, not from hunger and even though I'm "new" I still have to make myself not do that...I track everything (and HATE it) and I know I'm accountable to others on MFP...it keeps me in check - even though I have not always made the best choices. I'm so worried I will fail at this and because of that I try to make sure to do as I'm supposed to. I never want to gain alla the weight I lost back again and I want to continue to lose - I need to for myself. It's actually veterans like you, Butter, Jane, etc.. That give me hope. This forum is my lifeline right now. I do have friends who have had VSG but still, I get most of my "help" right here. 3 of my friends who had VSG have never followed any advice from doctors, which I don't wanna do for sure. So to all of you, thank you for allowing me to learn from your experiences and answering all of the questions that I ask:) it's been really nice[/quote']

I need to say not every new person wants to hear rainbows and unicorns..

A lot if them (like you) are going in with eyes wide open to all aspects of this surgery and our long term struggles.

It's good to get our realities out there. I'm glad that you are here and talking it out too :)

How do you know if you are a food addict?

How do you know if you are a food addict?

I think most of us that are here are... Otherwise we wouldn't do this radical surgery.

Some (very few if you ask me) just don't understand proper nutrition... So that could be the case for some.

Here a some general guidelines....

1. Increased Consumption Over Time. Have you been steadily increasing your food intake over time? For example, do you eat significantly more on a daily basis now than you did 1 year ago? A food addict will have gradually increased their intake over time, particularly of the refined foods.

2. Tolerance is when you need more and more of a substance to achieve a desired effect. Often the desired effect in food addiction is emotional, such as calm or relief from anxiety or depression. A sign of tolerance is when you begin to notice that you can consume amounts of food that are much larger than most other people can in order to feel “satisfied.”

3. Withdrawal is when you experience negative symptoms when you are unable to eat. Although we all feel a little uncomfortable when we are hungry and unable to eat (e.g., light headed, stomach growling), the difference with food addiction is that you may experience symptoms of anxiety, panic, and/or irritability.

4. Preoccupation. Addicts spend more and more time obtaining, consuming and/or even thinking about food, to the point of spending less time doing usual activities including social, work and recreational activities.

5. Unsuccessful Attempts to Cut Down. Addiction is also characterized by unsuccessful efforts to cut down. However, just because you have not been successful at dieting does not mean you are a food addict. The difference with food addiction is that dieting attempts are short-lived and end in out-of-control binge eating episodes.

6. Continue Despite Consequences. The food addict will often continue to overeat in spite of physical, psychological and/or relationship problems that develop. For example, one might develop type 2 diabetes or gain a large amount of weight in a short period of time (e.g., 50 pounds in a year) but still persist with their eating habits. Eventually the individual may even refuse to change their eating habits or may seem unaware of or very resistant to acknowledging health problems or the weight gain.

Edited by laura-ven

Good read..

Compulsive overeating, also sometimes called food addiction, is characterized by the compulsive eating of food. Professionals address this with either a behavior therapy model or a food-addiction model.[1] An individual suffering from compulsive overeating engages in frequent episodes of uncontrolled eating, or binge eating, during which she or he may feel frenzied or out of control, often consuming food past the point of being comfortably full. Bingeing in this way is generally followed by feelings of guilt and depression. Unlike individuals with bulimia, compulsive overeaters do not attempt to compensate for their bingeing with purging behaviors such as fasting, laxative use, or vomiting. Compulsive overeaters will typically eat when they are not hungry. Their obsession is demonstrated in that they spend excessive amounts of time and thought devoted to food, and secretly plan or fantasize about eating alone. Compulsive overeating usually leads to weight gain and obesity, but is not the only cause of obesity. While compulsive overeaters tend to be overweight or obese, persons of normal or average weight can also be affected.

In addition to binge eating, compulsive overeaters can also engage in grazing behavior, during which they return to pick at food throughout the day. These things result in a large overall number of calories consumed even if the quantities eaten at any one time may be small. When a compulsive eater overeats primarily through bingeing, he or she can be said to have binge eating disorder.

Signs and symptoms....

Binge eating, or eating uncontrollably even when not physically hungry

Eating much more rapidly than normal

Eating alone due to shame and embarrassment

Feelings of guilt due to overeating

Preoccupation with body weight

Depression or mood swings

Awareness that eating patterns are abnormal

Rapid weight gain or sudden onset of obesity

Significantly decreased mobility due to weight gain

History of weight fluctuations

Withdrawal from activities because of embarrassment about weight

History of many different unsuccessful diets

Eating little in public, but maintaining a high body weight

Very low self-esteem and feeling need to eat greater and greater amounts.

Addiction

During binges, compulsive overeaters may consume from 5,000 to 15,000 food calories daily, resulting in a temporary release from psychological stress through an addictive high not unlike that experienced through drug abuse. In bulimics, this high may be intensified by the act of purging. Researchers have speculated there is an abnormality of endorphin metabolism in the brain of binge eaters that triggers the addictive process. This is in line with other theories of addiction that attribute it not to avoidance of withdrawal symptoms, but to a primary problem in the reward centers of the brain. For the compulsive overeater, the ingestion of trigger foods causes release of the neurotransmitter, serotonin. This could be another sign of neurobiological factors contributing to the addictive process. Abstinence from addictive food and food eating processes causes withdrawal symptoms in those with eating disorders. There may be higher levels of depression and anxiety due to the decreased levels of serotonin in the individual.[2]

There are complexities with the biology of compulsive eating that separate it from a pure substance abuse analogy. Food is a complex mixture of chemicals that can affect the body in multiple ways, which is magnified by stomach-brain communication. In some ways, it may be much more difficult for compulsive overeaters to recover than drug addicts. There is an anecdotal saying among Overeaters Anonymous members that "when you are addicted to drugs you put the tiger in the cage to recover; when you are addicted to food you put the tiger in the cage, but take it out three times a day for a walk."[2]

The physical explanation of compulsive overeating may be attributed to an overeaters' increased tendency to secrete insulin at the sight and smell of food, though medical evidence supporting this is controversial.[3] Research has found a link between the sugar and fat content of foods and bingeing behaviors.[4]

Edited by laura-ven

I do a lot of mindless (eating without thinking about it) and emotional eating. I get I would fall into this category. :(

I do a lot of mindless (eating without thinking about it) and emotional eating. I get I would fall into this category. :(

Most of us do.. But it doesn't mean we can't have success! We are getting this tool to help us and it does help. You just have to work it right and work on yourself too. :)

I am such a food addict. Thankfully, I have been able to get this "tool" to help me control myself, but you are all right; it's more than just the sleeve, you need to work on yourself and the reasons why you eat, and change eating habits. I am only a month out, but I have literally "hurt" myself at least 4 times already. I ate a slice of pizza, I had some Pasta, I even had some Halloween candy that were in the house. I had the dumping syndrome, and literally had my stomach hurt because I had one bite too much. Now before anybody responds to this post trying to lecture me on how dangerous that was, don't bother. I've had my share of lectures and FULLY understand the consequences of what I did. I am SO scared of a leak, but you wouldn't think so after what I just said. But that is simply because my addiction controls or controlled me, rather... I am also a secret binger, but have decided since my sleeve, to own up to everything I eat, and tell someone everytime I feel guilty about eating something, even if just one bite, I decided to stop hiding it. I want to face this more than ever. And I am SO grateful that I cannot binge eat anymore, at least for now, because it gives me the opportunity to change my habits, and deal with my problems in a different way. I also understand that in the long run, it will get harder to face this addiction, being that most people can eat way more by then, and truthfully, it scares me, a lot! But I'm going to worry about each day as they come. One day at a time.

Thank you everyone for posting your experiences with addiction. It makes me feel that I am not alone, and also gives me hope!

Edited by EarthyGoalie

I am a serious food addict. I had the surgery done January 18. Thinking it will help me stop eating a lot because of stories I hear that after couple bites you want throw up. So I said awesome I can get this a lose weight. Well guess not. Because I am 9 months in and I can eat and eat. And I get so pissed because I can't control myself. That's why I got the surgery. But I get no pain and seems that I'm never full. I can eat a whole sandwich. From Wendy's I can eat two jr bacon cheeseburgers and fast. So I just dnt understand. This surgery isn't helping at all I lost 60 pounds and I'm gaining And gained 5 pounds. I wish I can eat couple bites and be full but nope not me o course not I had to be the one that can eat and eat with no problem. I just don't know what to do anymore. I go to the dr next month to see what's going on. And you know what gets me. I have back my head the stomach can stretch and leak or harm myself but still eat junk and a lot and don't care. Having depression doesn't help it no job. So just have to keep praying and try. Which I don't try I just don't care and eat anything. Ugg I need help don't know what to do anymore guys. I feel I'm gonna die over overrating and hurting my stomach but can't seem to stop. I'm worse now than before surgery

Ok first off the sleeve DOES NOT CURE food ADDICTION! I need to get that out there. I read lipstick lady's response about it stopping her by throwing up. And another poster two weeks out agreeing with her and assuming this is the way it's going to be for everyone. Not so.

I love you lipstick you know that! But not all of us puke. I have not puked since being in the hospital.

Also the first 6 months? You are still healing believe it or not and for some of us it's easier to stay on track.. I say some of us because more and more I read posts from people that are very early out and are already falling back into their addictive ways. I didn't only because I was scared and followed what my doctor said to do.

I have no doubt that what you are saying is true. I have no doubt that my ability to fall back into my food addiction still exists, that it is just laying dormant for now. I have no trouble admitting that I am thrilled that I have had so many eating "disabilities" since my surgery; puking, sticking, dumping, discomfort for no apparent reason. I am scared to death of those "punishments" going away.

I am learning to look at food in a completely different light, as nourishment instead of NEED. Will this last forever? Doubt it, but a girl can dream. I am happy to stay scared, too, it will keep me on my toes.

I can tell you this... I always admired the women who started WWs with only 10-15 to lose even while hating them for it. I swore to myself if I ever got the chance to start over at a healthy weight, I would fight my fat while I had only a handful to lose. That's a promise to myself I intend to keep.

My weight has always been a struggle and will always be a struggle. I've lived with it for 42 years, I hope to live with it for 42 more. I just hope to struggle on a much smaller scale.

I love you, too. :D

annag, I completely understand where you're coming from. Are you taking anti-depressants? If not, you should. I am taking some, because it got really depressed and my eating addiction had gotten worse. MUCH worse. And I'd hate myself right after bingeing, but do it all over again, whether or not I felt full. Please find out what is going on with your doctor, and also talk about getting anti-depressants. Let us know what your doctor says. I hope everything's fine. I'm sorry you are going through this and can eat so much :-(

Good luck

I am a serious food addict. I had the surgery done January 18. Thinking it will help me stop eating a lot because of stories I hear that after couple bites you want throw up. So I said awesome I can get this a lose weight. Well guess not. Because I am 9 months in and I can eat and eat. And I get so pissed because I can't control myself. That's why I got the surgery. But I get no pain and seems that I'm never full. I can eat a whole sandwich. From Wendy's I can eat two jr bacon cheeseburgers and fast. So I just dnt understand. This surgery isn't helping at all I lost 60 pounds and I'm gaining And gained 5 pounds. I wish I can eat couple bites and be full but nope not me o course not I had to be the one that can eat and eat with no problem. I just don't know what to do anymore. I go to the dr next month to see what's going on. And you know what gets me. I have back my head the stomach can stretch and leak or harm myself but still eat junk and a lot and don't care. Having depression doesn't help it no job. So just have to keep praying and try. Which I don't try I just don't care and eat anything. Ugg I need help don't know what to do anymore guys. I feel I'm gonna die over overrating and hurting my stomach but can't seem to stop. I'm worse now than before surgery

this battle is multi-focal. The sleeve helps, but the real work is in our heads. Maybe now is the time for outside help? ... therapy? I read this as a cry for help, and I worry for you. In another thread there are discussions by folks who can eat a little of 'anything'. Well, not me. I can't have a 'little' because a 'little' is not in my fat-brain's vocabulary.

I will never be normal. I can lose weight. I can keep weight off. But only by working hard each and every day.

Read Laura's posts (and the others) over again, and, welcome to our club.