Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the honeymoon period

I am seven weeks out from surgery and I've seen references to a honeymoon period. What is it, and how can I be ready for the end of it? What will life be like further down the road?

The honeymoon period is when your losing weight with little or no problem..Following the program takes little effort partly because you are healing and getting used to your sleeve!

Once you heal and a few months go by your sleeve will relax a little and then it will take some work to continue to lose weight that fast.....You will feel hunger, head hunger and cravings may return all sorts of little unexpected things will pop up...

Try to keep focused on fixing your brain and the way you feel about food...If we fix our heads then the body will go along with it.....

My honeymoon period ended around month 6 or 7. I could eat few ounce more per meal and I had to start walking a little further to get the same weight loss.

I thought the sleeve was to ward off hunger..I am confused.

I'm 6wk out and the head hunger never went away. I just avoid it

I still get cravings, surgery was 8/6. More now than before, but I ignore them and go to the right food. It does not take it all away, most is mental. You will be less hungry, and eat way less. It does not take away hunger, when you eat you will eat a very small amount and feel full, unlike before when you may have had a plate or two like me :) It is the best thing I ever did.

I was 9/3...I still get hungry, and I eat about 5-6 times a day. But it's small meals/snacks and I make much, much better choices.

Edited by ReDbEaN

The honeymoon is the period of 6 - 8 months post-op. During this time, the weight practically just falls off your body. It is easy to understand why...you are still healing and on a liquid or purée diet for a while, then soft foods, then regular but you can barely eat more than 500 calories per day for many months. With such a significant calorie deficit daily, the pounds just fall off. After that period, you will continue to lose weight but you will have to actively engage in some effort to do so. This is why newly sleeved folks are encouraged to stick with their program and take full advantage of the honeymoon.

I thought the sleeve was to ward off hunger..I am confused.

The sleeve is there to help you deal with your emotional eating while you are dealing with your head...Once you get the issues solved as to how you got to this place in your life and what you can do to resolve it..Then your body will respond...The sleeve is not a miracle operation...It is a tool for you to use to learn how to eat to live not live to eat or use food for emotional purposes..

Eventually your sleeve heals and relaxes a little...you will never be able to eat like you used to..Unless you really work at it.....Meanwhile we deal with all the things we know made this happen to us and some that creep up on us....It is one of the most interesting journey's I have ever been on...

I have learned more about myself then I ever thought possible! You will too!

If u r taking in so few calories for months then how can u exercise? Would not your body be hurt by this.. ?

If u r taking in so few calories for months then how can u exercise? Would not your body be hurt by this.. ?

You begin to walk when you feel stronger....No one has to get out of the hospital and start training for a marathon...lol...

Walking is the key to get you going forward in exercising.....20 min. 10 min what ever you can handle..a few times a week

Personally.....I think the ones who are only eating 500 calories a day should be drinking more Protein drinks....their hair is going to fall out!!!!! And who knows what else......hehehehe

So how many calories are most people getting in? I usually do between 900-1100.

I am nine months post op I aim for 900 calries

I get just under 1200 and am four months out. And yes I get hungry and my weight loss has slowed down but am still happy because even when I'm hungry I eat healthy Snacks.

You are most likely eating the right amount...We don't want to keep our bodies in distress and have it store fuel because it goes into starvation mode...losing weight slower is not a bad thing....As long as you are eating healthy and enough Protein, taking in Water. The body will respond....Remember this is a life long journey no a sprint!