Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Survival skills for the 14 day pre-op diet

Tomorrow starts day three of my 14 day pre-op diet.

I will admit' date=' I was rather nervous about it. My main concern was not having enough energy to get through my rather physical work day.

I'm here to say... It's really not that hard.

Everyone's pre op diet seems to be slightly different.

Mine is 11 days of 900 cals (3 Protein shakes+ 1/2 cup lean chicken, fish or 1 egg/ 3 cups lettuce and a few sprays of fat free dressing)

Days 12-14 are strictly clear liquid.

I thought it would be nice to start a thread where ppl can post some good survival techniques to help those who are going to be doing their pre op diets and are nervous. Things that have helped you get through easier. Here's my list... Pls feel free to add your ideas as well. Lord knows I will probably need some of them as the days go on! ;-)

1. I pre pack exactly what I need to consume throughout that day (including 90 oz water) in my ice chest. If it's not in my ice chest, it does not go in my mouth! (Aside from the Vitamins which I need to discontinue taking 7 days before surgery)

2. When driving down the road...only look straight ahead...turning your head side to side means you'll be bombarded with all the evil food signs. And I personally think they posted a few extra food ads and restraunts since I started this diet two days ago! They are EVERYWHERE!

3. If your favorite TV channel is the Food Network, like mine... Find a new favorite! I'm watching "Lock Up Raw" tonight... The food they feature on this program is certainly not making me hungry!

4.once you've finished all the food/drink you can have for the day, if you're still hungry... Add crystal light or Dasani drops or something with flavor that you like to Water bottle and fill up on that!

5. Stay busy! I've been working my a** off to make as much money as possible before I go down for post op recovery. The side benefit is that the day is over before I know it! I plan on staying super active Til they wheel me to O.R.

Well that's all I have so far, might think of some more tips and hopefully others will too.

2 down, 12 days to go!

We got this ;-)

Best wishes everyone...[/quote']

Check this out! I'm beyond 14 days pre-op liquids. My surgery was scheduled for 10-28-13. My ins was still pending..just got approved. Surgery date is 10-30-13...today is day 16 liquids...but i feel good...really good....i survived state fair, football games & church functions food....didn't think i could do it...but i did....happy happy happy!

Check this out! I'm beyond 14 days pre-op liquids. My surgery was scheduled for 10-28-13. My ins was still pending..just got approved. Surgery date is 10-30-13...today is day 16 liquids...but i feel good...really good....i survived state fair, football games & church functions food....didn't think i could do it...but i did....happy happy happy!

Good for you! I start my pre-op diet on Thursday and am worried a little.

Good luck on Wednesday! Let us know how you're doing!

I'm on day 6 of a 21 day clear liquid diet. I will admit i cheated once in the first few days but each day its getting easier. For me it is 4 Protein Shakes, 8 ounces of chicken broth a day and sugar free Jello and popsicles. My date is November 12th and I keep reminding myself when i want something that if I don't shrink my liver the surgeon won't do the surgery and I've come too far for that to happen. Good luck to everyone and let me add that all you guys post help me get thru this as well.....

I went to my pre op appointment today which its day 7 of my liquid diet and I'm down 9 pounds... I can't wait to see how much more i can do til surgery on November 12th!!!!

Day 10 and 4 more days to go!! It's gotten so much easier and now I'm excited more than nervous.

I agree I'm scheduled for nov 4 I'm approaching day 10 it's much easier after that 1st week. I'm priding on myself that I haven't cheated not even once but I don't do those Protein shakes I only take 1 a day they are gross and I don't have a appetite do y'all think I'm going to die lol it's just that I'd rather not even eat but I get plenty of Water in the broth is gross now too I only eat the sugar free popscicles but I only have about 2 a day

Day 11 is in the books.. All is great. Had my pre-op with my surgeon, i have lost 30 pounds in October!!! Getting excited for 11/4!

Good to see that everyone's doing well and SURVIVING our pre -op diet. Just made it through day 13. Tomorrow is the last day with my normal stomache.

NOV 1st is my re- birthday!

I'm still alive! I don't know how many day's it's been (started on the 15th). Down about 13lbs. Haven't killed anyone yet, but its come close. Seriously, I am so jealous of some of you who have gotten used to this, I certainly haven't. I guess i am more familiar with feeling hungry, and crazy. Most of the crazy compulsive cravings have gone away. I have learned that donuts are my kryptonite. I have cheated twice and it is what it is. I found a Protein that I really enjoy (OH YEAH brand, choc milkshake) and do look forward to shake time. The one's they sell at my docs are not that great. So, yeah, I'm surviving. This is definitely one of the hardest things I've ever done.

#SkinnyArmy

How many days do you have left. I am being sleeved at 830. Gotta be at the hospial at 630

I am on day 5 and I am doing ok. My poor husband is not. He is grumpy and hostile. He says he can take care of his own meals but I wonder if that is true. I am trying to stay out of the kitchen as much as I can. His eating has always been a big trigger for me. He can eat anything he wants and stays within 15 pounds of high school weight, something I could never do.

Day 14 down.

Laying in bed at the Hospital in Tiajuana Mx. 2 hours Til surgery.

Who knew how good chicken broth could taste. I had three cups last night, and it was the most incredible thing ever. (True sign that you're starving) lol

If I survived the pre op diet... So can you!!!

Good luck to you. Let us know how you are doing as soon as you can.