Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So today I had to go in to have the last testing done (EKG) prior to meeting my bariatrician in a few weeks. I got to the check in window and the receptionist began to check me in. Im assuming she sees alot of walk ins that are bariatric surgery candidates , also once I gave her my card she accessed my medical record. She looked around her computer and in a loud enough voice said" tell me you're not havin that surgery to lose weight" I was floored! As calmly as I could I responded with a yes. She then said ..mind you infront of the check in line " girl please you do not need that, you can just exercise and lose that little bit of fat". After stating yes I am opting for WLS , I walked away and waited to be called. I am 5'3 227 #..I do carry my weight well and ppl dont believe that I weigh that much when I tell them. I cant help but feel some type of way! No I haven't been overweight all my life, however this is to much weight for my petite frame. Ive experienced all the yo yo dieting and have given this whole thing alot of consideration .

That is just rude and unprofessional how dare she has the nerve to say that to u and what business is it to her she's not paying for it. Pure ignorance!

I believe that no matter what her opinion is as a healthcare professional she should keep her opinions to herself she doesn't know what your reasons for surgery are. People are going to have there opinions but you are the one to make the decision as it is your health not anyone else's. That is really unprofessional and was totally uncalled for.

What she doesn't understand is that you have 80 to 100 pounds to lose and u want to keep it off. She also doesn't know if you have high blood pressure or type 2 . People don't understand when you are addicted to food it's hard to keep on the wagon because you can never just give it up!

I hope like hell you told the doc what she said. First off, that is illegal. Even insinuating what you are there for is in violation of HIPPA policy. The doctor NEEDS to know what this staff member said and that others heard her. Even if you have to call back, do so. If the Dr's nurse calls back you need to ask that you speak directly to the Dr about a violation of HIPPA policy. The Dr will then definitely get on the line or return your call. Trust me, it will be nipped in the bud.

I seconds that, totally a violation of patient privacy. Please let the office know what happened.

Thanks for all the responses. I left feeling like am making the right decision? My bf reassured me and reminded me why I was on this journey. I will call tomorrow and make a complaint..

I get that all the time too. I am 5'4 and 215 pounds. I have tried everything to lose weight and it won't come off . Now I have herniated disks in my back that cause me a great deal of pain. When I tell people about getting surgery they roll their eyes and tell me to eat less. If it was that easy we would all be thin. I now can give a frick what others think. This surgery if for me! ❤️ Good luck babe!

I get that all the time too, don't pay her no mind, but do report it.

I hope like hell you told the doc what she said. First off, that is illegal. Even insinuating what you are there for is in violation of HIPPA policy. The doctor NEEDS to know what this staff member said and that others heard her. Even if you have to call back, do so. If the Dr's nurse calls back you need to ask that you speak directly to the Dr about a violation of HIPPA policy. The Dr will then definitely get on the line or return your call. Trust me, it will be nipped in the bud.

Couldn't have said it better........HK, I hope you made that call........I know I would have said something......this process is hard enough w/o someone saying crap like that......sending you warm wishes!