Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My question today:

How often do you weigh yourself?

I found myself weighing in ever day, no change in the past couple of days (1 week post op). I do not want this to become an unhealthy obsession.

Any advice is welcomed!

Edited by WildChickie

I weigh everyday, always have probably always will. If the scale is up I can adjust for it that day. I would rather catch it at one or two pounds than 5 or more.

Many people will tell you to weigh only once a month during this early stage, because "stalls" are going to happen and you don't want to obsess with the scale. My personal feeling is that as long as you don't let the scale control your life, weigh when you want to. I weigh each day, and I have for a number of years. Right after surgery, I didn't weigh for the first week and a half because I felt nasty and bloated, LOL but now that a few weeks have passed, I'm weighing each morning like normal. I've been stuck at the same weight for about 6 days, so I started to add calories to my daily intake. This morning, the scale finally moved and it made me feel like adding the calories was a good decision to help break the dreaded Week 3 stall I was in. But again, this is just my opinion - I've seen other post-op people here expressing regret, frustration and depression about not losing weight on a daily basis, and for them I would advocate to stay away from the scale for a while and follow their doctor's plan. It's a really personal decision, I think. Good luck!

Edited by Shells_Almost_There

In our class our Nut suggested only weekly. We were also informed that stalls would happen most likely at 6 weeks, 3months, 6. Months, and a year.

I think it depends on how much emotionally invested you think you're going to be in the number on the scale. I'm honestly more concerned about my body composition than my weight...I hope to lose fat, but would love to at least maintain or build muscle as I continue to get in shape.

I've found that the scale can vary dramatically through the course of the day based on fluids, so I try not to put too much credit into the issue of the scale.

I weigh every day, first thing when I get up, and I adjust how I eat for the day based on what I see. During weight loss, I only recorded my weight on Fridays.

Lynda

Personally now my sleeve has been done (9th October) I am concentrating on the doctors and nut advice and il be weighed once a month and I'm sure the results will be positive ..

I will be 3 years post op in November and I weigh daily in the morning. It helps to keep me accountable and helps with my maintenance. That being said, you have to learn to deal with the ups and down. My weight can swing 2-3 pounds from one day to the next. You are newly sleeved, you will see large drops, stalls, and maybe even some temporary gains in the numbers on the scale. The more you learn to roll with it rather than obsess with it, the happier you will be. If you can't, I would suggest in the beginning to weigh less often.

I try to weigh just twice a week. I'm around 6.5 weeks out and grew very frustrated during weeks 2-4 because I would gain and lose very slowly. I only count what I weigh on Monday as the official weight. My surgeon told me at my 2 week post op check "don't be a slave to the scale, don't let it run your emotions and cause you to have an emotional

Roller coaster. If you follow the rules you will lose" I try to remember that, somedays are harder than others

At first I weighed daily, then I got to weekly. I knew I had lost weight and would get on the one eyed monster and it says I gained, and when I felt I had gained I really lost, So with that happening, I went to once a month. The stalls are the worst, but they are going to happen. Now I be sure to weigh at least monthly and I am hanging out in the same range. Don't let the one eyed monster (Scale) control you, go put on the TIGHTEST clothes you had before surgery, put them on once in a while. While you may not be losing #'s, you will be losing inches, and those are just as important.

Drink those fluids.

Edited by ImLooznit

I weigh weekly, but after reading this, I think I may switch to monthly.

weighed once a month

rcc

good luck with that ;)

theres no way i could wait a month to weigh :o

i get on the scale every morning

I "choose" to weigh daily

works for me :)

I am at goal - and i need to make sure i stay at goal

even though i'm eating properly - stuff does happen :angry:

my weight fluctuate 2-3 lbs

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I weigh when I wake up and when I go to bed. It works for me. I don't stress the scale

Thanks Everyone for your advice!!! I will probably continue to weigh daily or every other day...but will keep in mind to not let it rule my life. Thanks!!!