Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So close to -100, tired of comments to stop losing!

I am a few pounds away from losing 100 lbs and am loving it. I am also tired of hearing people say "you don't need to lose anymore"! I talked to my Dr. this week during my check up and she said that everyone is focused on where I was to where I am now. I look and feel great, but still have about 25-30 lbs to go. She said to think of it this way. What would people think if you put Katie Holmes head on your body, would they still say to stop. The answer is definitely NO, they would make very negative comments that she needs to lose weight. This really put it in perspective for me for the last journey to goal.

Has anyone else experienced this with the last 25 lbs?

I just started my journey post-op, so I am nowhere near. However, I remember years ago, I was dieting and had lost A LOT of weight, probably one of my most "successful" diets, and I remember the exact same thing happening, people saying I'm losing too much, and I look great now and blah blah... and after doing a lot of self reflection, I realized that it was those comments that I let get to me back then which made me self sabotage myself again and just eat whatever because I was fine and didn't need to keep dieting. I didn't put into perspective that my way of eating and living had to change, but these comments pushed me towards that behavior which caused me not to reach my goal. And since this surgery, I have been thinking about that situation à lot and promised myself to only listen to myself and my body.

But I'm really glad you posted this because the comment your Dr made about Katie Holmes makes so much sense and I never thought of it that way, so thank you :-)

I too had not thought of it that way and it made total sense to me as well! You are doing great, this is the hardest time for you so hang in there! I couldn't imagine being where I am now when I was 2 weeks out! This surgery has been the best thing I have done with the exception of having my kids!

Thank you! I constantly think "what if I'm not as successful as everyone else? What if this doesn't work for me? What ifs, what ifs... and it's so hard to get all my Water in, let alone enough protein! it's hard but I'm trying to keep a positive mindset and hang in there! Thanks for the encouragement! I can't wait to lose my 100lbs!

We all go through the "what ifs" at one point or another since we have felt like failures with every diet we did before the sleeve! You will have days that you don't do exactly everything right as you adjust to your new life, but each step is the journey to the new you and learning to eat like a "normal weight" person. I absolutely believe this now. My new motto is "I eat to live, not live to eat"!

One thing people may be looking at is your face. A lot of time after rapid weight loss, your face can have sort of a gaunt look. I'm not there yet, but in 2008 when I lost 100 pounds my face looked really gaunt. I know that very well because it was when I had my last drivers license photo made.

So far I've lost 65 pounds (pre and post op) so it's not as bad this time. I wish I could keep my face as it was when I had lost about 40 pounds. So my theory is that at least some people suggest to stop losing because of the way our faces look, not our bodies.