Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will be banded on 3/8 and getting nervous

My surgery is in less than a week, I've been (starving :phanvan ) on the liquid diet for 7 days now, and I'm getting a little nervous. What are the first days like after surgery? Is there a lot of pain? Is it hard to get around? Is it easier on the liquid diet after surgery than it is before surgery?

Awwwww congratulations!

It IS easier to liquid fast after the surgery. I was on Clear Liquids for 24 days.....

I felt tired after surgery but not in pain. I read books, relaxed, walked slowly for a week or so.

You will be fine and I remember being so nervous. Now 7 months out, and 62 pounds down, I am so grateful for this surgery I can't even tell ya....

Good luck my dear. Keep us up on how you are doing.

My surgery is in less than a week, I've been (starving :phanvan ) on the liquid diet for 7 days now, and I'm getting a little nervous. What are the first days like after surgery? Is there a lot of pain? Is it hard to get around? Is it easier on the liquid diet after surgery than it is before surgery?

hey girl..

March 8th was my band date 2 yrs ago..I'm 2 yrs out and 140lbs lighter!..your gonna feel kinda groggy for a few days..but trust me when i say..its allllllllll worth it in the end...

all the best,

iamcanadian25

Chrissyb, I'm set for March 20. So looking forward to having it over. I have yet to have any second thoughts, but I still have 19 days left, so we will see. Best of luck on your journey. Join us on the March 2007 thread for people being banded in March.

I posted this on another string, but thought I would copy and paste it here:

Day of surgery - Check in at 5:30am for surgery at 7:30am. I admit, get called into prep room. Bunch of other beds in there with curtains inbetween. The nurses weigh me and ask me to change into gown, put all my personal stuff in a bad they provided. They gave me footies too. Walk back to bed, they verify who I am several times that morning and what procedure I am having. They first numb the area for IV and then insert IV. (folks, dont let them put IV at wrist area, tell them on top of hand...because I got it in the wrist area and made it difficult when I would push myself out of bed) Then they check blood pressure, and oxygenation (finger). They had blood drawn and sent to lab to make sure what I have in my tummy (so dont cheat and eat before, they can tell with the lab work they do they said). Then after the anethesiologist talks to me, asks me questions, they gave me the FEEL GOOD med to make me relax a little while I wait for surgery. Called Versat (may spell it wrong). You can ask for this if they dont offer..say you are feeling anxious and it really does calm ya down.

Then I got wheeled into surgery. Oh, my husband was there this whole time and gave me a kiss goodbye. THe last thing I remember is being moved to this narrow table that was a little cold. They put both arms out and strapped them (lightly) down. I am also strapped around the hip area. They put the heart thing on me and then start with oxygen around my mouth and that is the last thing I remember.

I woke up hard to breath. It was that damn mask, I dont do good with masks. So if you experience this, tell the nurses and they will put the nasal one on you which is much better. I was short of breath and gasping, moving around a lot because I keep telling them I cant breath, I cant breath. They took that mask off and put the nasal one on and I felt much better. My mouth was so dry. They had to put a air tube down my throat while in surgery. They also put a catheter in while in surgery (when I was out). I knew they were going to do that because they told me. This way after the surgery I dont have to get up right away if I have to go pee. I sit in recovery room for a while and I am not allowed so much as an ice chip on the day of surgery. They allow me to rinse my mouth out later when I got to my room. As I am in recovery they just monitor my blood pressure. The cuff stays on and so does the oxygen reader on my finger. IV is in and I have a button to push for pain if needed. The sucky part was dry mouth. Ask for vaseline, and a wash cloth. Wipe your mouth and put that on, makes it much better.

I could not drink because I had to wait until the next day for them to x-ray and watch stuff go down. The reason I had to wait until the next day is my doctor says sometimes swelling can get worse over night and they need to make sure I am not closed up the next morning.

First night, I get up for the first time about 6 hours after surgery. I take my IV pole and they hook my catheter puch to it and do a little walking. Tender but able to move around fine. I walked around every 4 hours for a little while. Looked like an old granny walking the halls, but it prevents blood clots. Oh, in surgery they put the warming massager on my calves to prevent clots and that stays on the entire time I am in bed until I check out.

I went to x-ray next morning first thing. Oh, they also take your temperature a lot through this whole process too. Went to x-ray and stood in front of x-ray machine. I could see my insides on the screen and see the band. Crazy...and I watched the Fluid go down. They let me see it. I was cleared to start drinking. Got my little ounce of broth, Jello, and juice. (ounce each). YIPPY! LOL

First night home, started having depression. Wanted it out of me. Thinking what did I do. I smelled chicken my husband made for the kids and it was at that moment, even though I wasn't hungry, that I knew that I used food for comfort. It was a slap in the face. I always thought I ate badly or too big of portions. Me, an emotional eater?..NO way I would of said. But yes, it is true, I realized food was there to comfort me. You can read my previous posts if you want to read more, because I was crying. It took a couple days and I started to get out of that emotional funk. I feel good today and very happy.

I am on day 3 of recovery. It is not too bad at all. Keep up on yuor pain meds the first couple of days. The worst is the port area just like everyone says. It is very tender. I was given ice chips as soon as I was out of recovery and Water right after that. They had me up walking as soon as I was in second stage recovery adn was home in about 5 hours.

I went walking at costco yesterday for quite a while. When I went to bed, I got some muscle spasms and ended up sleeping in a chair most of the night. Today I feel fine, so just don't over do it too quickly

The liquid is so much better after surgery. Not even the same animal as before. I blended up a couple of different Campbels Soups and eat about a 1/2 cup at a time. I also eat a protien shake. This morning was protien powder, 1/2 bannana, 1/4 cup egg beaters, and 3 spoonfulls of no fat yougurt.

Chris