Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve Accomplished Surgery! On my way!

Well, Here I am! New to all of this and hoping I can meet new friends and different opinions on this whole new life!

My life changes started when I learned that I had developed Diabetes, along with already having High blood Pressure and hypo thyroid. Along with my mother getting sick and having to go to the hospital and when I rode in the ambulance with her, I couldnt even buckle the seat belt! I was soooo embarrased!

I made an appointment with Dr. Shroder and went in January of 2013. As required, I had to get a nutrionionist consult, a psychaitric evaluation, and letter of support from my Family Practice Doctor. I completed all of this by the end of April this year. All information was submitted to my insurance company, and within several weeks I was approved for surgery! No problems! The insurance company covered it 100% other than the 250$ a night I had to pay out of pocket.

My surgery was scheduled for August 12, and was I excited! I had preop work done the end of July.

Surgery date came and I was at the hospital by 7am. Of course I had bad veins and it took a few sticks, but finally got the IV started. I was wheeled into the OR at 9am. By 1pm I was out of surgery and back to my room. I do remember being in some pain in Recovery room, but hey, they were well equipped with drugs to keep me happy. I never had any extensive pain while I was in, just being a little uncomfortable.

My doctor has his patients in the step down unit to ICU, so there for I was under constant nursing supervision the whole time. I had the BEST care at my hospital and dont regret a thing. I stayed a total of 2 days, and then went home with my JP drain. Yes, not too pretty, but hey, it was only in for a week. Totally painless to remove. I have 4 incision sites, that are just a light red now, 2 months post surgery! So, Please, take this step for surgery if you are considering it! Totally worth it!

Hi MissK,

I just switched over from Bautista's group to Dr. Brengman. I have my first appointment in a week (10/28). I'm so glad you had a great experience. Are things still going well for you? I'm hoping to have my surgery mid-December. His patient navigator said that it would be very likely I could schedule as soon as Monday for the surgery since I'm self-pay. Congratulations on your surgery and thank you for sharing your experience thus far!

Laura