Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery tmrw / having second thoughts

These fears are very normal. You may also be hit with "OMG What Have I done?" following the surgery. That's normal, too. These are big changes you are facing, and change can bring about fear/anxiety/doubt.

What was helpful for me was to write a list of pros and cons concerning my decision. I actually took the list to the hospital so I could meditate on it the night prior to my surgery.

I'm 8 months post-op (almost) and rarely look at that list anymore. My lapband and the changes it brought about are pretty much part of who I am now. But I'll never take it for granted and I am thankful for it, and for my courage to move forward with my decision to get it, every single day. It has truly changed both my brain and my body and how they both see and use food.

No regrets, except that I wish I had not wasted my time trying to diet traditionally. So many years of frustration and deprivation spent in vain.

So, how did it go? Hopefully you're done and on the road to recovery.

Everything went well.. Cried the whole first night was in a ton of pain but it's starting to get better little by little.. My incision sights are bleeding a little.. Is that normal?

Some and I say some superficial bleeding ok. If it gets to be much call dr. Pain gets better and some emotion after surg normal too. You got this and keep us posted.

What your feeling is perfectly normal.

I felt that way until the the third day... then I had good burp and the left shoulder pain went away and I felt "normal".

The end results will be worth it... trust me.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Tom, Toronto

Banded: July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

EM: tomander@bell.net

ccjll, thank you for your post. I am schedule for surgery on Dec. 17th & you have just out so much in perspective for me. You reminded why I started this process and the reasons I need to follow through with it. I have nothing to lose except the weight that has been holding me back from living the life I deserve, the life I want to live! It's not easy being overweight & it's something I've struggled with literally since I was born. I tried of being sick & tried. I lose weight, gain weight! It's just a cycle of disappoint!!! I'm sorry for my rant. Congratulations to everyone who has already made tours changing choice and began the banded journey. I also want to congratulate all of us who have taken the steps to begin our own banded journey...

I'm feeling noticeably better today! Day 3 post op and gas pain still a slight issue but nothing too bad. Also incision pain going away quickly. Besides the incision where my port is the rest are perfect! After all my worrying nothing went wrong during surgery! I'm just listening to every instruction the doctor is giving me post op! I'm tolerating liquids fine, but my stomach makes some weird noises when I try and drink, anyone else have that?

Thanks for all the support everyone I'm so so so glad I went through with this!

Welcome to "Bandland!"

That's the best thing you can do... listen to your doctor :)

My stomach / band still "talks" to me and I'm going into my 8th year.

I still get the "gurgles" and they are VERY loud. I never know when it's going to happen. It can be before or after a meal... sometime several hours after a meal or even during the night. My doctor said it was nothing to worry about as long as there was no pain involved. He said the "gurgles" are very common.

For me every time I hear my band "talking" to me it's just a reminder that it's there just doing its job.

Good luck on your journey.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

Remember you're intervening on your own behalf and you'll be so glad you followed thru when you see the weight falling off and when you start feeling great! It's a courageous and responsible thing you're doing.

When I had my band installed, they put my legs in squeezers (which I loved!) that are a precaution against blood clots and keep the blood flowing.

I, too, had the experience of talking to the nurse one moment and the next moment I was waking up in the recovery room all done!

To be honest, having the band put in was an odd experience. It's hard to describe the part about having something inside like that. You'll be able to feel your port under the skin with your hand. It's not bad, just "odd".

You'll be an official Bandster.

It's funny how we all come up with "What if's" in situations like this. But we don't tend to think about driving to work tomorrow and "what if I get in an accident?".

Your surgery is a big deal and all the hospital staff are geared up, educated, and experienced for just this kind of thing! So relax as much as you can. Let people take care of you!

Im glad you posted so we could all respond.

Take good care.

~hiddn

Everything went well.. Cried the whole first night was in a ton of pain but it's starting to get better little by little.. My incision sights are bleeding a little.. Is that normal?

HI!

I just wrote to you about being scared the night before, not realizing time has flown and you're already done!

Congratulations! You saw it thru, that's great!

I'm sorry about you being in such pain the first night. Are you home?

It helped me to take my pain meds, write down the time I can take the next dose, then write down the time I actually take the next dose. Set a timer.

This way you stay ahead of the pain.

I, too, had a little bleeding at the incision sites and it wasn't a problem.

My surgeon wanted me to take a walk 5 times every day. This helped a LOT, even though I didn't want to do it. I started out with just a very short stroll...and moved up to walking for 10 minutes each time. This will help keep your stamina up and will also help dissipate the gas they use during surgery.

Each day will be better -- just hang in there!

And look thru catalogs for the clothes you're going to buy for yourself 6 months from now!

~hiddn

Guest imperfect1974

Hope it all went well - welcome to the banded life :) No regrets!

Why would you question doing something for your health? When you see the weight leaving your body you will be so thrilled. Listen to your bariatric people & follow their guidelines. Walk, walk & walk into a happy banded future!

:wub: