Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Im sort of feeling like this is going too fast

I went in oct 17 or 24, cant even remember now, had my scope today and I have a hiatial hernia and am set for surgery nov 14. I have been trying on liquid since 1st, not doing great. I have a whole new set of shakes to try and have been reading the forum to see how others are handling it and I just feel a little rushed. I wanted Nov so I would be semi-ok by Christmas but am just feeling weird??????????????????

Are you unsure about having the surgery? I would recommend that you be 100% sure about your decision before proceeding since it is a major lifestyle change. Better to postpone surgery than to feel rushed into something like major surgery. Best wishes to you!

You will be releived to have the hiatial hernia repaired. I had one and didn't even know it. What do you mean you feel WIERD???

My entire process went FAST! Reading on here and even a friend of mine the process took much longer than for me, months as opposed to weeks for me. The reason mine went so fast was insurance approved me right off the bat! I was approved Sept. 12th and my surgery was Oct. 23rd - not quite two weeks ago.

So here is my experience and insight - hope it helps.

I wonder often if I could only have been strong enough to live on a sugar free fat free diet with little to no carbs - but the fact of the matter was/is I wasn't strong enough, now i have a medical reason not to eat those things. I believe I will do well now and so far so good.

I had a hiatial hernia repair, and doc told me on Friday at my post-op appointment that this is where most of the pain is coming from and that it does take a few weeks to recover - sharp pains in my shoulder, chest and neck, mostly in the front of me. The pain has subsided but it's still there - he said it is nerve pain - some call it gas pain - whatever kind of pain - it's painful but not horrific. Not sure if you have pushed out an 8lb+ baby before, but I believe that kind of pain prepares us for any kind of pain - so, in that light, it's tolerable. The hard part is the first week, your abdomen is cut open, hence any kind of sitting up or sitting back HURTS! That subsides a few days later but still there almost two weeks later. I believe that pain will be gone in the next 1-2 weeks. Again, tolerable.

I stayed in the hospital until they kicked me out or would charge me another day :) So my surgery was done around 8 pm Wednesday evening and I had my husband pick me up 24 hours later - I was happy to have the nurses to call on instead of my family - they got me the rest of the time. The worse part of the hospital was the upper GI where you have to drink this really awful stuff so they can Xray it go thru your system - this took about 10-15 minutes - but proved all ok so that I could eat something.

Ice chips saved me - and did so for about a week. For me, the chomping of the ice was soothing. I didn't really feel hunger until day 4 or 5 but i just kept drinking Protein drinks, Jello and cream of Tomato Soup. I felt bad, don't get me wrong, weak, and uncomfortable. Thank god for an understanding family and preparing meals before I went into surgery - they knew exactly what they were going to eat.

I'd be remiss not to mention weight loss... isn't that why we're all putting ourselves thru this :) I did not do ANY pre-surgery diet, doc said not to worry about it - so I started my diet the day I went into surgery - 12 days ago and I'm down about 9lbs. I believe my body is still in shock and believes that I'm going to cave in and give it carbs and sugars... but I'm NOT!!! I believe another 6 weeks and it will figure that it's got to burn the fat and not wait on carbs/surgars and I'll see a significant decrease in weight. I'm optimistic and trying to stay positive.

This IS a life changing drastic surgery for weight loss - damn straight that I'm going to follow the rules! Otherwise it would all be for Not... :(

oh - I'm 44, 5'5'' and started at my highest weight of my life (including all 3 pregnancy weights) 222, this morning I weighed in at 213 on day 12 post op. I look forward to 140lbs for the rest of my life :)

POSITIVE POSITIVE POSITIVE :)