Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

do vitamins really help?

I don't take my Vitamins because I figure I'm getting everything from food. However I have been fatigued lately. Wonder if this is result of lack of vitamins? My blood work came back fine at six month post op. I have the chewable bariatric vitamins but they are so gross the thought of taking them makes me shudder.

I don't take my Vitamins because I figure I'm getting everything from food. However I have been fatigued lately. Wonder if this is result of lack of Vitamins? My blood work came back fine at six month post op. I have the chewable bariatric vitamins but they are so gross the thought of taking them makes me shudder.

Because bariatric patients have a much lower amount of food eaten, it is essential that we take Vitamin and mineral supplements to ensure that we are getting the nutrients for proper nutrition.

Your bariatric surgeon or nutritionist should have given you comprehensive instructions regarding their recommendations for Vitamin and mineral supplements. If not, it would be a good idea to contact your nutritionist for precise instructions. If you are unable to tolerate your chewable vitamins, ask the nutritionist for options to an alternative supplement.

I'm not a big fan of taking supplements, either. However, since surgery I've been diligent keeping up with my daily Vitamin regime. I eat so much less than before surgery, and the level of whole grains, fruit and veggies has greatly diminished. Also, Calcium can be an issue with this surgery. I take a Multivitamin, calcium, D3, fish oil, sublingual B12, and Biotin for my hair. I suggest you talk with your doctor's office to help find something you can stomach. To be quite honest, after I'm done with these bariatric chewables, I'm going back to the capsule form multivitamin I took pre-band. I do not have any issues with things going down, and I'm with you on the chewable part.......I don't care for them. But highly suggest that you don't stop. You don't want to compromise your health while losing weight.

I agree with the comments above also. I have noticed that if I miss my supplements I feel tired so I do get them all in.

Yes your vits are essential, not elective. Just like Protein shakes, finding a version that is most palatable to you takes some experimentation.

I take multivits, B12, Biotin, vit D (I'm low), and Calcium daily for support.

Short term you may get by just fine, long term you can cause serious issues. Best to be proactive than dealing w/ avoidable conditions

I had been taking Vitamins but got horrible headaches. I haven't taken them and headaches stopped.

Any others with this problem?

Scientifically if you are not Vitamin deficient the only thing your body will do is not use it and you are just spending money on expensive pee. The best thing you should do is have your vitamin levels checked. If you are not vitamin deficient taking supplements is a waste of money. If you are deficient then only take what your deficient in. All of our nutrients are absorbed through the large intestines. People who have the By Pass surgery are more apt to get vitamin deficiency since that part of their intestines is rerouted. Just because you are tired does not mean its from not taking Vitamins.< /p>

I had been taking Vitamins but got horrible headaches. I haven't taken them and headaches stopped.

Any others with this problem?

Sounds like the Vitamin you were taking had something in it that didn't agree with you. When I take anything with ginseng, green tea extract, ginkgo, etc., I don't tolerate them well. Best to stick with a basic multivitamin, without all the added bells & whistles.

No matter what anyone tells you..Vitamins are important,, My Surgeon asked me to take a multivitamin , B12 and D3 each day. I use the fruit flavored gummies and a sublingual b12.. You can't possibly get enough Vitamins in the food you are eating because you are not eating that much.. I feel 100% different if I forget to take my vitamins.. Ask your Dr., about this after all he would be the best judge...

No matter what anyone tells you..Vitamins are important

Exactly!

Maybe some of you don't eat enough or the right foods to get enough Vitamins but I have never had a Vitamin deficiency except for b-12 since being banded in four years. Protein Shakes and bars have vitamins in them. So don't let anyone tell you except your doctor that you need them because you are vitamin deficient. You people kill me that you know it all. That vitamins are A MUST because that is not true. If you get blood work done and all your levels are fine YOU DO NOT NEED VITAMINS OR YOU ARE JUST PISSING THEM OUT.

The Vitamin Myth: Why We Think We Need supplements

Nutrition experts contend that all we need is what's typically found in a routine diet. Industry representatives, backed by a fascinating history, argue that foods don't contain enough, and we need supplements. Fortunately, many excellent studies have now resolved the issue. On October 10, 2011, researchers from the University of Minnesota found that women who took supplemental Multivitamins died at rates higher than those who didn't. Two days later, researchers from the Cleveland Clinic found that men who took Vitamin E had an increased risk of prostate cancer. "It's been a tough week for Vitamins," said Carrie Gann of ABC News.

These findings weren't new. Seven previous studies had already shown that Vitamins increased the risk of cancer and heart disease and shortened lives. Still, in 2012, more than half of all Americans took some form of vitamin supplements. What few people realize, however, is that their fascination with vitamins can be traced back to one man. A man who was so spectacularly right that he won two Nobel Prizes and so spectacularly wrong that he was arguably the world's greatest quack.

I have the chewable Bariatric Advantage ones. They taste so gross. But I'll get back to taking them this week to see if it makes a difference with my fatigue. Thanks everybody.

I use the barriatric advantage crystals on scoop in my Water in the mornings iced really well taste like a flavored water. I also take calcium chews n Biotin