Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

eating out and milkshakes

Hi I am new, nothing scheduled yet but doing a lot of learning. So my question is about eating out. We tend to eat out A LOT. Reading how much the portion size changes do you guys order off the kids menu? I couldn't imagine spending $15 inn dinner to only eat a few bites. Also, I read people drinking mik shakes. I LOVe milkshakes. So is it really a matter of cutting down on portion sizes??

Thanks ...I really want to know exactly what I will have to do after surgery.

I typically look at the restaurant website to get calorie information before I go so I have an idea what fits in my daily allowance. I usually stick with Soup, salad, fish and veggies when I go out. I don't drink milkshakes though- I'm sure I could, but I'd be afraid of the calories. Besides, I'd rather have a nice glass of wine with dinner. :D

You want to stay away from milkshakes, unless you're talking about a Protein shake. Milkshakes (and ice cream) go down really easy and you can usually eat as much as you want of that kind of thing and you can actually pack ON the pounds!!!

I stay away from the kid's menu because it's usually crap like mac and cheese, hot dogs, burgers, pb&j.

When I go to a buffet I have a card that I show to only pay the child's price, otherwise I'd never pay full price for a buffet.

The best option I've found for eating out is ordering from the a la carte menu. I do a lot of Soups and veggies. I will eat meat as long as I'm pretty sure it won't be dry! Even then, I do bring home a lot of doggy bags!

I actually stay away from children's menus because they tend to be complete junk, like greasy burgers and fried nuggets. I just order half portions or lunch portions whenever I can. I almost always take home food for leftovers.

Milk shakes I stay away from because they are VERY high calories. The average fast food 12oz. milkshake is a whopping 540 calories. That would be literally half my calories for the day in one milkshake. So, as a general rule, I stay away from them.

Thanks for not thinking these were silky questions. So I guess if I really want a milk shake I will just have a spoonful from my kids...lol. I have been trying to make sure I split my meal in half so I can take food home to my hubby, so I guess now he will get a 3/4 meal...lol

I pretty much agree with the others and I do avoid milkshakes however the name of the game is not deprivation. If it is something you can have in moderation or a once a while treat then no big deal but you need to keep tabs on those calories. As the others have said those suckers will slide on down.

I am not much of a milkshake drinker but once in a great while I will splurge on a cone from McDonald's. I only go to the drive thru though LOL. McDonald's cone is the perfect size for me and I drive away satisfied.

I pretty much agree with the others and I do avoid milkshakes however the name of the game is not deprivation. If it is something you can have in moderation or a once a while treat then no big deal but you need to keep tabs on those calories. As the others have said those suckers will slide on down.

I am not much of a milkshake drinker but once in a great while I will splurge on a cone from McDonald's. I only go to the drive thru though LOL. McDonald's cone is the perfect size for me and I drive away satisfied.

I totally agree! My "splurge" is a medium fat free caramel mocha from McDonalds. I have them a couple times a week for 280 calories. I always count it against my daily calorie total so I don't have guilt having them.

It's funny because I'm the only person I know that goes to McDonalds a couple times a week yet hasn't eaten their food in almost 2 years ;)

I, usually, order off the appetizer menu or share with my hubby. Of course, being over 55, I can order senior, too! But no one questions. Also, anymore, no one questions asking for a box immediately, either. Stay away from milk shakes, if you can, BAD!!!

I totally agree! My "splurge" is a medium fat free caramel mocha from McDonalds. I have them a couple times a week for 280 calories. I always count it against my daily calorie total so I don't have guilt having them.

It's funny because I'm the only person I know that goes to McDonalds a couple times a week yet hasn't eaten their food in almost 2 years ;)

Me too Missy! If I splurge, I order the same. But, since staying away from ice cream and dairy, I stay away from fastfoods, now, too!

for eating out, my Dr. actually gave me a card to keep in my wallet basically explaining that I have a band and to let me order whatever I want.

I've only used it once, and the server was confused and called the manager over. He apologized for the server, got me my meal and comp'd it too.

~David.

Welcome. For my Protein Shakes, I add a lot of ice and they are just as thick as McDonald's.

As for eating out, I eat about 6 meals a week out. I order a lot from the children's menu. Where I love to eat their kid's menu has grilled chicken, salmon and steak tips. Not bad for kids. Also, I order salads and add a Protein to them. When I do Italian I order Pasta and meatballs, sometimes or pasta with chicken or shrimp and only Tomato sauce. I also bring home a lot of doggy bags and have lunch the next day

I am a bread junkie. I only eat really good bread in restaurants and mostly the crust not the white doughy stuff.

I eat Chinese food, too. Like I said I eat out a real lot. I wasn't feeling well

today and was suppose to go for Italian.

For steak, I can only chew filet mignon. I find other cuts very hard to chew.

I hope I helped you. Just ask more questions if you have them.

I've always liked ice cream and milkshakes. So now I blend my Protein Powder with 1/2 cup ice and 1/2 cup skim milk and voila a Protein Shake that is thick and creamy and takes care of the ice cream/milkshake urge. I've also gotten in the habit of some sugar free pudding mixed with Protein powder for a sweet snack. There are lots of substitutions/options out there, it just takes a while (and some time with a good nutritionist) to find them!

Thank you. I have been reading the boards for a couple weeks now.. Everyone seems so hopeful at sharing. Thanks

My husband and I eat out a lot too, and since my surgery we're saving SOOOO much money! We usually share a meal, and by that I mean, he eats about 75% of it, and I eat about 25%. I'll eat a few bites of whatever meat he orders, and a few bites of whatever side dish, and then I'm good. If I've recently gotten a fill, I'll just order a cup of Soup, or a side of Beans or something like that. It's actually surprisingly easy to eat out with my band. I've quit ordering soft drinks because I can't drink it once the meal gets there. I just order Water and sip on that until the food gets there. Good luck with your decision! :)