Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

seeking opinions/first appt nov 4th

I have my first doctors appointment Nov 4th to talk about the lap band surgery. I will be paying for this operation out of pocket, so I am very interested in any feedback from people who have already had it done. Its very expensive out of pocket, so Im just wondering if yall think the surgery was worth it? How much weight have you lost and how fast? I want/need to lose about 100lbs and I feel like Ive tried everything. Feel free to give positive and negative feedback. Thank You!!!

First, the best advice I can give you is to do your homework and make your decision based on actual facts, not anecdotal evidence you read online.

As far as your questions, I think it was totally worth it. I've lost over 230 pounds in about 20 months time and I'm still losing. For me, it's the best decision I've ever made for myself.

It is very expensive, I went through insurance and it's still very expensive for me. When I look at where I was and where I am now, I feel it was very worth it. I was down 90 lbs by 10-11 months. I'm now down 115 lbs and I'm 18 months out, just did the math wow! I have about 50 lbs until ultimate goal. They say the average patient loses 40% of their excess body weight, I guess I beat the odds but there are people who don't lose so much. I definitely agree with Mis73 about doing real research. Maybe even get opinions from two surgeons in the event that one seems to want to sell you a band at any cost.

Thanks ladies! I appreciate the feedback and I have done my research. Ive been researching it for about a year now, so at this point I have decided to go forward with seeing the doctor/nutritionist/psych, I just found this site yesterday and was curious to see how actual people who have had it done feel about it. Ive heard plenty of "oh, i know so and so had it done and blah blah blah" but I havent gotten to speak directly to anyone thats had it done. So, here I am :) But thats awesome how well its worked for you!!! I, too, believe it will be a life changer

As with any of the weight loss surgeries, complications can and do happen. I agree with the others that you should take as much time as you need to research all of them and make an informed decision. Have questions prepared for your appointment and if you are not comfortable with the answers or the surgeon get a second opinion.

The band is not an easy road by any means. Your head has to be in the right place and you must follow the band guidelines you will get from your surgeon. If you have any doubts, ask questions!

I lost 100 lbs and made my goal in 8/9 months and am very happy with the results, however, I am one of the small percentage of people who had complications.

Just 10 days ago, I had revision surgery to another band because my original slipped up onto my esophagus and had major scarring. I will tell you though that I was banded in Mexico with the old 4cc band, which is notorious for this very type of problem.

The reason I am telling you this is not to scare you but to stress the importance of letting your doctor know if you sense anything at all doesn't seem right with your band.

Good luck to you!

britt, I lost 100+ lbs. I am actually currently recovering from my cosmetic surgery (the last phase of my journey). I would guesstimate 100 lbs in 1 year as long as you are consistent and follow the rules :)

Definitely worth every dollar. This is not like anything you've done before (aka weight watcher memberships, pills, expensive delivery meals etc) where it was just a loss of your investment.

I wish you all the luck. If you have specific q's, please feel free to email :)

Want an old man's opinion? Do you research, check out more than one doctor. Ask all the questions you can, and then make a decision. If the doctor or doctors you interview with have support groups for their patients ask if you can attend. Where I had my surgery allows the preoperative patients to come to the support groups to hear first hand the experiences of the different surgeries. Our groups are for all of the surgery our doctor offers, by pass, lap band and sleeve. We all have a different story but are working for the same results. Outside support is good too. This could be therapist that deals with people with weight loss and food issues, or programs such as overeaters anonymous that offer support for eating problems.

Lots of luck in your journey. I have had my band for almost 9 months and have given away about 80 pounds. Would do it again.