Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wake Up Choking

I have a fairly tight band, so I can't easily eat a lot of foods. I'm very happy with the tightness which seems to be my "green zone" since I am able to eat full meals if I sit down, take my time, etc. The problem is that sometimes, with no apparent cause, I wake up choking and it's really unpleasant since it's left over liquid or traces of food that never went down before I sleep.

It doesn't seem to matter if I don't eat late, don't drink a lot before sleeping, etc. The only thing that helps is if I take a big gulp of soda before bed and bring up anything left that didn't go down. Like I said, this is usually liquid or traces of food but it's really different from bringing up food when it won't go down and there's pain, discomfort, etc.

I would like to understand what it is that's making the liquid or food traces drift up to my lungs or sometimes it just comes out my nose while I'm sleeping. Both are really awful to wake up to. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solution? Why does it happen? Maybe I should ask a doctor?

I have a fairly tight band, so I can't easily eat a lot of foods. I'm very happy with the tightness which seems to be my "green zone" since I am able to eat full meals if I sit down, take my time, etc. The problem is that sometimes, with no apparent cause, I wake up choking and it's really unpleasant since it's left over liquid or traces of food that never went down before I sleep.

It doesn't seem to matter if I don't eat late, don't drink a lot before sleeping, etc. The only thing that helps is if I take a big gulp of soda before bed and bring up anything left that didn't go down. Like I said, this is usually liquid or traces of food but it's really different from bringing up food when it won't go down and there's pain, discomfort, etc.

I would like to understand what it is that's making the liquid or food traces drift up to my lungs or sometimes it just comes out my nose while I'm sleeping. Both are really awful to wake up to. Does anyone else have this problem? Any solution? Why does it happen? Maybe I should ask a doctor?

What you are doing is harming your band, drinking soda will probably further "stretch" out your pouch which can cause band slippage (pouch dilation)...if I were you I would go to see my surgeon ASAP and you need to let them know what is going on.

Here is my level of reflux what I call that may be Ok:

1. In the green zone, eat too late and then lie down and cough up some "stuff" -- A ONE TIME EVENT --- I consider this ok, and just adjust my eating and I will chew some papaya enzymes before bed and drink some Water to push the food through that will not leave food in my upper pouch.

2. If you are TRULY in the Green zone, that REFLUX SHOULD NOT HAPPEN OFTEN if you don't eat close to bedtime.

3. If reflux awakes you from your sleep just about every night and you wake up with vomit shooting out of your nose and mouth -- this requires IMMEDIATE attention from your surgeon and with some saline reduced -- this often indicate something IS WRONG WITH YOUR BAND and a Upper Gi should be ordered to check to make sure your pouch has not stretched or band has not slipped.

Good luck

You definitely need to talk to your doctor. What you describe doesn't sound like the Green Zone, it sounds like you're too tight. What you're experiencing is Acid Reflux and that can be very dangerous with the band and lead to erosion. Acid Reflux is never normal with the band.

Another sign you're too tight is the fact you have food sitting above the band. food is not supposed to sit above the band. Ever. Food is supposed to pass through the band in about a minute. If food does sit above the band, you're at risk for erosion, esophageal dilation, and slips.

Definitely give your doctor a call. Good luck.

having a too tight band (that you cant drink/eat easily) and sure the weight loss is great...but its not worth risking your health for...that is just my opinion

2. If you are TRULY in the Green zone, that REFLUX SHOULD NOT HAPPEN OFTEN if you don't eat close to bedtime.

I truly agree with what NANA says here! If you have just a bit of fill removed, it might help the reflux. I know you want a tight band, but sounds a little too tight and reflux can be damaging to your esophagus. Karen

How are you doing? I had those kind of episodes before and I was definitely too tight. Had an unfill and all symptoms stopped! I know we all want to be as tight as possible, I lost 13 pound in 5 days when I was too tight. However, to wake up choking with reflux, and Water coming out of your nose is not worth it. It also can damage your band. I hope you are doing better Soybean.